Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    See, I told you this would happen, kas.

I had a Graycliff Original Release 1997 (or something like that) last night. The last one of these I had left my mouth very ashy-tasting, so I haven't had one in a while. This one was back to the yumminess I experienced with the first few.
    Dr. Urbino is correct once again.. I will soon have 10 new little babies to love...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tonight was a Perdomo ESV '91 second...which, I am here to tell you, is quite the misnomer. There is nothing second quality about this cigar, construction is perfect, there was not one aesthetic flaw to be found and the burn, draw and flavor were top notch. Me likey, muy muy!
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    one of my favorites cigars!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    j0z3r:
    Tonight was a Perdomo ESV '91 second...which, I am here to tell you, is quite the misnomer.
    I'd just like to thank you for being the first person in the long and colorful history of human language to use the word "misnomer" correctly.
    kaspera79:
    I will soon have 10 new little babies to love...
    and then set on fire.
  • Options
    I think I just smoked a stubby Camacho Havana. I'm not sure because the band looks a little different from what ccom shows. Whatever it was, it was rich and full and very yummy. This is the first cigar I've been able to clearly identify a cinnamon flavor in, and it had it in spades, along with a nice sweetness.

I think I got this in one of the COTM shipments, but I'm not sure. Did somebody here send me this? (There was no wrapper to stick a name on.) If I can ever figure out what it was and where I got it, I'd like to get some more.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've got two more hours of work then I'm going to go home and pour me a nice glass of Texas Crown Club and light up one of my new Oliva Serie G Maduro Robustos and relax before I go to bed. I've got 3 days off after tonight so I'll have some time to smoke and be merry! haha
  • Options
    urbino:
    I think I just smoked a stubby Camacho Havana. I'm not sure because the band looks a little different from what ccom shows. Whatever it was, it was rich and full and very yummy. This is the first cigar I've been able to clearly identify a cinnamon flavor in, and it had it in spades, along with a nice sweetness.

I think I got this in one of the COTM shipments, but I'm not sure. Did somebody here send me this? (There was no wrapper to stick a name on.) If I can ever figure out what it was and where I got it, I'd like to get some more.
    It's possible you got it from me. If so, then it was the Camacho Havana H2, 4.5 x 50.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had a Nub Box Pressed Cameroon last night. The first time I had it I was not impressed. Last night was awesome! Had hints of Cocoa. I was in heaven! I got a few more of them but I may had to make a purchase in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    urbino:

It's possible you got it from me. If so, then it was the Camacho Havana H2, 4.5 x 50.
    That sounds like the right dimensions, Joe. Thanks! (Both for the excellent seegar, and the info.)
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    I had a Nub Box Pressed Cameroon last night. The first time I had it I was not impressed. Last night was awesome! Had hints of Cocoa. I was in heaven! I got a few more of them but I may had to make a purchase in the coming weeks.
    That one's definitely my favorite of the Nubs, rw.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Scrambler.. That 1495 1994 La Aurora was off the hook ! It was one of the best cigars I've had in a while, the taste was leathery and earthy, burned nice and slow. The cigar starts out strong but seems to mellow as you get into it, kind of different than I'm use too. It took an hour and thirty minutes to reach the end of this fine smoke. I do have to order a few more of these because it was great. C.com has 'em for twelve bucks but they are worth it. If anyone finds these, give them a try as I believe they will please. Thanks Scram.. this was a great find.
    SHHH!!! Keep it down, I'm hoping to snag some more at auction for $37/box. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it. If I get off work early enough, I think I'll smoke one tonight.
  • Options
    Scrambler:
    kaspera79:
    Scrambler.. That 1495 1994 La Aurora was off the hook ! It was one of the best cigars I've had in a while, the taste was leathery and earthy, burned nice and slow. The cigar starts out strong but seems to mellow as you get into it, kind of different than I'm use too. It took an hour and thirty minutes to reach the end of this fine smoke. I do have to order a few more of these because it was great. C.com has 'em for twelve bucks but they are worth it. If anyone finds these, give them a try as I believe they will please. Thanks Scram.. this was a great find.
    SHHH!!! Keep it down, I'm hoping to snag some more at auction for $37/box. ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it. If I get off work early enough, I think I'll smoke one tonight.
    That is a GREAT deal, but do you win very many at a really good price and where are they shipped from ?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    That is a GREAT deal, but do you win very many at a really good price and where are they shipped from ?
    First box of 1495 1994's (the box your's came from) I bought when they were on special for $75, then I got a 5 pack at auction for $25 and thought that was a great deal. When I snagged a box for $37, I couldn't believe it. Another box recently went for $43, but I didn't bid.

I don't buy that much at auction, but when I do find a good deal, I'll buy a few more items to take advantage of shipping, always getting a better price than anywhere I could order without bidding.

Oh, and everything I buy at auction ships from the same address as ccom.
  • Options
    That is interesting.. There must be Some Super Mega Cigar Center, because that seems to be a familiar address..
  • Options
    So, I'm chilling on the porch, enjoying this perfect weather with a La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994 and a small pour of Remy Martin 1738 Accord Royale. B-e-a-utiful !
  • Options
    Lucky man. I'm fissin' to go out and have something, myself.
  • Options
    This afternoon I attempted a Cusano DSG, however, it was somewhat of a failure as the cigar was over humidified from shipping. I'm really looking forward to these once they've stabilized though, the flavor was pretty good, I just got tired of fighting with the burn.

For my night smoke, I went with another Perdomo ESV '91 second, and for the second night in a row I was blown away. The quality of this cigar is outstanding, the only thing qualifying this particular cigar as a second was a very slight darkness of the wrapper leaf at the foot compared to the rest of the cigar, everything else about it is top flight. I do believe I've found me a bonafide winner, and for around $3 a stick, what is there not to love?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    and for around $3 a stick, what is there not to love?
    It doesn't have boobs?
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    and for around $3 a stick, what is there not to love?
    It doesn't have boobs?
    I said $3 a stick, not $3000 and constantly whining about new shoes. :)
  • Options
    I had my first Matasa 30th Anniversary. These have gotten mixed reviews here. I thought it had good flavor, but there were burn issues. Overall, I consider it a good cigar, but not spectacular.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I thought the same thing about the Matasa when I tried it a few months back. Good but not great.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I had my first Matasa 30th Anniversary. These have gotten mixed reviews here. I thought it had good flavor, but there were burn issues. Overall, I consider it a good cigar, but not spectacular.
    I'v egot one resting. It is a perfecto so were these more than the normal perfecto issues?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I had the Perdomo Estate Vintage 1991 from the cotm club today. Didn't really care for it. It was kind of bitter. Also, I started feeling light headed after it. It may have been because I was a little hungry but the feeling kept up after I ate. I even started to sweat a little.

On a side note, my plans for smoking this Saturday came to a halt. My band is playing in Gettysberg and I planned on smoking 2 each way but I just picked up a passenger that does not smoke and has asthma. Oh well :-(
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    I'v egot one resting. It is a perfecto so were these more than the normal perfecto issues?
    Hard for me to say, maddy. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't normally have burn issues with the perfectos I smoke. So, personally, I'd say yes, it did have more burn issues than a normal perfecto; but if you find yourself often having burn issues with perfectos, maybe not.

Basically, it didn't want to burn evenly. At times this became full-on attempts to canoe. They were all fairly easily corrected, but it was more trouble than I prefer.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I had my first 5 Vega Miami...not bad. May have to get a few more to rest in the humi for a while. I was just happy to smoke since it's been a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I just tossed a Macanudo 1968 robusto after about an inch. As you may have guessed, I didn't care for this one bit. On the good side, the construction was good with an even burn and smooth draw, it just had no real flavor. Looks like ya'll were right about Macs.
  • Options
    I had another champion cigar today that I got from a five for five bucks deal a few months back right here at C.Com. The Romeo Y Julieta Viejo. Viejo must be Spanish for " Damn is this Great " The best R&J I have ever had. ( I had a friend that smoked nothing but R&J and was very generous with his supply ) There was nothing wrong with this fine cigar. Taste, construction, burn, draw, it looked great, A word that comes to mind is mellow. Not a harsh moment in the hour plus it took to enjoy this Torpedo shaped stick. If you see them try one for sure ! Damn I am on a roll with winners.

knock on wood.
  • Options
    Good on ya. I've had a bunch of Viejos for a while (a box maybe?), but the first couple I smoked didn't do as much for me as the Reserva Real, so I haven't had one in a while. I'll have to pull another one out and give it a go.
  • Options
    Finished up a bit ago with a La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994...these little guys are sweet. I think I've found another favorite.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    My friend (who is also on this board known as THese filthy hands) is on his way over. we will be sitting by the fire smoking cigars of his choice.

his choice is:
    Nub Connecticut.

this will be my first nub.