Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Finished up a bit ago with a La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994...these little guys are sweet. I think I've found another favorite.
    Yeah Joe, I just ordered another 10 box... May need to pick up another 10 just to be safe. They are getting scarce.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Finished up a bit ago with a La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994...these little guys are sweet. I think I've found another favorite.
    I really liked this one too. If they are truly getting scarce, I better pick up a box.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    Yeah Joe, I just ordered another 10 box... May need to pick up another 10 just to be safe. They are getting scarce.
    I'm kinda curious as to how scarce these actually are. I mean, I realize it is a one-shot production, but I haven't seen any numbers on how many were actually produced. Regardless, I too am stockpiling, I have 20 coming to me tomorrow and am watching the auctions with great enthusiasm. When all is said and done and there are no more 1495/1994 to be had, I'd like to have at least 50 stashed away, hell maybe even 100, we'll see.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    2,000 boxes were made. I read somewhere that there are less than 750 boxes left, but I think that might be an old number.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    I'm kinda curious as to how scarce these actually are. I mean, I realize it is a one-shot production, but I haven't seen any numbers on how many were actually produced. Regardless, I too am stockpiling, I have 20 coming to me tomorrow and am watching the auctions with great enthusiasm. When all is said and done and there are no more 1495/1994 to be had, I'd like to have at least 50 stashed away, hell maybe even 100, we'll see.
    Right here under cigar reviews it states only 18,000 cigars were made. I don't know how many more are available as long as there is one more box ...for me. I'm up to 30 sticks.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Assuming the auction site was Cbid. It appears they are part of Cigar International which supposedly shares a distribution center with CCom. Kind of think there may be more than a DC to there affiliation.

• Options
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    Right here under cigar reviews it states only 18,000 cigars were made. I don't know how many more are available as long as there is one more box ...for me. I'm up to 30 sticks.
    Ah, good eye. As long as I can get my 100, I'll be happy. :)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    My friend (who is also on this board known as THese filthy hands) is on his way over. we will be sitting by the fire smoking cigars of his choice.

his choice is:
    Nub Connecticut.

this will be my first nub.
    that cigar was **** great
  • Options
    Just finished up with a JFC super toro. This cigar was ok, it kept seeming like it was on the verge of exploding with flavor, but never really made good on that. Still and all, it has a nice flavor, predominantly woody with a smooth white pepper through the nose. Medium-full in body. Hopefully some rest will give prove to benefit these cigars.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I just had another first: Ashton VSG. You guys who've been praising this cigar so highly, y'all are right. This is a terrific cigar. I had the box-pressed torpedo (or whatever Ashton calls it), and there's just not a damn thing wrong with this cigar. It's got loads of great flavor, it's full-bodied but smoooooth, and it burned like a champ.
  • Options
    Macanudo Maduro. Not bad, not great. Mild (it's a Macanudo... whaddaya expect?), but with a touch of flavor. I'd call it a 3.5 out of 5. My biggest beef about it is the mouth feel -- it's a bit firm for my liking, and narrow (I think it was a corona... not a favorite size of mine).
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Wow... The Legend Perfecto gave me two things tonight: a learning experience and a huge disappointment. The initial burn was very promising and full of smoke.. Then about a half inch in the damn thing plugged on me. That's the learning experience. For whatever reason, most of my smokes are completely without burn issues. I had actually wondered if plugging and tunneling were more a myth than anything else. Interestingly, I could blow smoke out, but I couldn't take any in. Fortunately, thanks to the experience of others on this board, I knew the solution, and was able to dig up a paper clip, which fixed the plug. I also got some unreal tunneling, probably as a result of the plug. The burn was never really consistent after this, and the flavor didn't develop at all.
    I gotta say, I first tried the Legend in a torpedo, and I liked it well enough to buy two 12s of the Perfecto, because they were on sale. I still like the "8 year aged" tobacco in the Legend, I think, because I still like the aroma (both pre- and post-light) and the flavor... but I really don't like the perfecto shape -- at least not in conjunction with this cigar. All three Legend Perfectos that I've tried to smoke have had serious tunneling issues, as have the two that I've given to friends and watched them smoke. And also, the fat middle tends to give me such a buzz that I get seriously nauseous for a good half to full hour after.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    I just had another first: Ashton VSG. You guys who've been praising this cigar so highly, y'all are right. This is a terrific cigar. I had the box-pressed torpedo (or whatever Ashton calls it), and there's just not a damn thing wrong with this cigar. It's got loads of great flavor, it's full-bodied but smoooooth, and it burned like a champ.
    Hey Urbi - that's got an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper :)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I started a Gurkha Legend Robusto today. I've only had one before. I have had a couple of the Perfectos and one churchhill months and months ago when I first signed up for the cotm. So far so good.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:
    My friend (who is also on this board known as THese filthy hands) is on his way over. we will be sitting by the fire smoking cigars of his choice.

his choice is:
    Nub Connecticut.

Not just great, but "****" great.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:

his choice is:
    Nub Connecticut.

That really says a lot, especially coming from Kuzi so I will be buying some with my next purchase for sure. I still haven't had any of the Nubs so maybe its time for me to take the Nub plunge.
  • Options
    rdnstn:
    These Filthy Hands:
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:

his choice is:
    Nub Connecticut.

That reall says a lot, especially coming from Kuzi so I will be buying some with my next purchase for sure. I still haven't had any of the Nubs so maybe its time for me to take the Nub plunge.
    That is saying something, considering the fact that Kuzi rarely swears on these forums. I thoroughly enjoyed the Nub I had recently, and can't wait to explore the rest of the line.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    CAO Italia. The first time I tried one of these it was too much cigar for me, being a noob at the time. Really enjoyed tonight's, and just ordered a box of tubos.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    Hey Urbi - that's got an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper :)
    Figgers.
  • Options
    Tonight I had a Playboy by Altadis Robusto. The burn started off a little uneven, but was able to correct itself nicely just by rotation and paying a little (very little) attention to the wind. There isn't a whole lot of body to these cigars, but the flavor is very smooth. This size carried a touch of spice that I don't recall from my last Playboy, but the flavor continues to be sensational. I think this must be my all-time favorite cigar. Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, of course :)
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Kuzi, Any chance of posting a review on the Nub?

I had a Nub Conn a few weeks ago and loved it
    Really had som eye opening flavors for me that Ive never gotten from a cigar before
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Smoked a Cigar Live Blue Label tonight. I love this cigar. Argentian Puro, created by a forum for a forum. Good cigar.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Kuzi, Any chance of posting a review on the Nub?

i was gunna let that one slide because of all the reviews that have taken place on the board. i didnt have my note book with me and the conversation was flowing (along with the beer) but i remember it being a bit sweeter than i thought. it was the Connecticut wrapper and had a bunch of the qualities of a Connecticut Shade, however, it was a bit more medium in nature than i expected, a bit sweeter in the fresh mowed lawn kinda way. Im not a big fan of the wrapper but i found that one to be quite good. I did burn to the burn over the course of 1 hour and 30 minutes. (about the same as a toro for me)

i couldnt tell you a number for it without the notebook but i imagine it being in the high 80s ish. iduno. I have another (habano) that ill try and actually review.
  • Options
    I had a 5 Vegas Classic torpedo, earlier. What a great cigar. I thought I'd had one of these before, but I don't remember having a cigar like this. Anyway, to everybody who's been praising this one: good call.

Kinda makes me glad I just bought a box (of panatelas).
  • Options
    I just finished a CAO L’Anniversaire Maduro petite cigar. I'm not usually a fan of petite sized cigars, but seeming as though the weather in this area is starting to get chilly for this time of the year, and I'm forced to light up on my balcony outside, I wanted something a little quicker than usual. I must say, I wasn't expecting a little guy like that to have so much kick and flavor. I'm definitely glad I decided to pick up a tin of them, as they'll be good for the winter months to come.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I've been dipping into some house blends I ordered and loving all of them. So far I had the Brazilian label, the purple label and the red label. They all burned flawlessly and tasted great...not all that complex or anything, but as everyday smokes, these will do just fine. I'd have to say the red label was my favorite, very smooth, consistent. I'm looking forward to the cameroon...
  • Options
    I had a Cusano 18 Double C earlier today. It wasn't as good as the ones I've had before. Now I'm about to go set fire to an RP '92.
  • Options
    Ahhh. Yummy.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I had a Cusano 18 Double C earlier today. It wasn't as good as the ones I've had before. Now I'm about to go set fire to an RP '92.
    I ordered a 5 pack of the rp 92, looking forward to lighting one up shortly! =)
  • Options
    I think you'll enjoy it, Phoebe. It seems to win over just about everybody who tries it. Which size did you get?