Home Ratings & Reviews

2006 God of Fire by Carlito

Really amazing smoke. Got everything from Fruit, cinnamon and nuts, to espresso and leather over the course of this two hour double robusto. 2006 was a very good year for GoF indeed, as the Don Carlos from that year is also a great smoke. The Carlito is a little fuller in body and a little earthier, where the Don Carlos is lighter, and fruitier, but both are absolutely amazing cigars, well worth a celebration of their own, and are probably also worth the price for a celebration of yours.

So sayeth the grimacing beard. Smoke the God of Fire.

Oh, and check out my full review, with photos and all of that jazz at the blog, in signature.

Comments

• Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    One of my favorites too! Loved them so much I got two boxes..btw, you look like you're trying to compete with Tim's "Beard" lol
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great stick, it also sounds like it would punch me right in the face.
    Light 'em up.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    JCizzle:
    Sounds like a great stick, it also sounds like it would punch me right in the face.
    Honestly, the strength isn't really on par with the Opus or anything. Medium bodied, medium-full at most. If you smoke Diesel or MOW you'll be more than okay with this.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for the info. This one is definitely going on my list, then.
    Light 'em up.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I got one of these in my humi that was gifted to me, I can't wait to try it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Krieg:
    I got one of these in my humi that was gifted to me, I can't wait to try it.
    same here... just waiting for the right time
  • is the god of fire better than the opus x?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I like them better but that is not to say that they are better. It comes down to taste. I like the Carlito but I like the Don Carlos blend a lot more. They fit my tastes better than an Opus X.
    Christian_Sapp:
    is the god of fire better than the opus x?
    For me, no. But they both are awesome. If you can get Opus at MSRP though, they are the better smoke for your dollar, IMHO.
  • GHausGHaus Posts: 74
    I had one with my brother not too long ago. Chilly night but the cigar was very good. Forgetting about the weather was easy with the good company and cigar, of course.
  • Christian_Sapp:
    is the god of fire better than the opus x?
    IMO yes. The Carlito is the perfect example of everything a Cameroon wrapper should provide. The Don Carlos is fantastic as well. I bought a GOF and for Opus on Labor Day and was able to figure out which I preferred. It's close, but the GOF wins.
  • so if i was going to buy some of arturo fuente cigars what ones should i buy?
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Christian_Sapp:
    so if i was going to buy some of arturo fuente cigars what ones should i buy?
    IMO GoF Carlito, Anejo 50, Hemingway Signature Maduro. I haven't had an Opus but those r my favs.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    With so many to choose from, and you really can't go wrong anywhere with a Fuentes, In the Cameroon line my favorite is the Cuban Corona. In the Maduro line it is the 8-5-8, or Chateau.

In the Don Carlos I enjoy the smaller ring gauge #3 or #4.... I've had several Opus X and with those you either love them or you don't. Very subjective. I think they are above average, but not my favorite ... The Anejo, an Opus X with a Cognac barrel aged Maduro wrapper is NOT for me. Smoked four of them and each time it proved too much for my stomach, and head. .. The Hemingway not an everyday cigar to me, but a very straight-forward, for lack of a better term "old school " cigar. Earthy, woody, leathery. Work of Art, Best Seller, and Short Story all were pleasant. I like the Perfecto shape on this cigar.

One of my favorite Fuentes cigars is Bauza, I smoked more of these than any other cigar.. Probably 10 boxes in the last 15 years. And of course any Ashton product is a winner in my opinion. Pick up some and start experimenting. That's where the fun is.
    Christian_Sapp:
    Of the regular lines, the 8-5-8, in all three wrapper varieties, are good. The Sun Grown Cuban Corona and Chateau Fuente are good. The Hemingway SS, and Signature are my favorite. The Don Carlos line is good in every size. Not overly complex, but smooth, and mild. The Magnum Rs are my favorite non-limited cigars.

The higher end Fuente stuff is what really blows me (and my wallet) away. I like pretty much all of it. Fuente doesn't make a bad cigar though (except for the Brevas, and the Curly Heads, IMO), regardless of price range.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    IM not crazy about the lower end stuff. cheapest i enjoy are the roisado's. if you like ss go to work of art, better bang foir your buck, just a ss on steroids. all don carlos are incredible, no 2 being my fave. i have a gof in my humi waiting until new years eve or xmas night for it.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the Anejo and Opus X. the GoF is good, but that's it, not amazing. I've had both Carlos and Carlito and they just don't stack up to the others. That's just my opinion.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Both are truly great sticks...keep lots of them in my humi!!!
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    JUst picked up 2 anejo at my b&m today. cant wait to try them