Home Non Cigar Related

This is hell

PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
On Weds morning, I finally had surgery I've been waiting for, for 2 years. Turns out I did less ligament damage and more joint f'ing up than previously thought. Thankfully this means less recovery time (So I'll be about to have a cigar again by the end of Jan, but unfortunately it means a lot more pain during the recovery. I haven't had surgery since i was 16, so I don't remember much about the days after surgery, but I'm in hell right now. The pain killers I've been on have been messing with my head (cant remember what I've told to who, keep waking up in a panic for some reason, and I currently haven't been able to tell when things have been in a realistic dream here in my room or if I was actually awake). I've had enough of it and I stopped the pain killers. Now everything hurts, from my shoulders to my neck, all of the muscles around my neck, my right shoulder, left shoulder a lil, muscles in my chest, hips, and back. Rolling over in bed makes my body feel like I'm in a compactor. I swear it feels like i was literally hit by a car. The irony to this all is that I have a really high tolerance for pain (was a hardcore wrestler who loved using barbed wire, thumb tacs, and even a staple gun to the head in matches. When I initially damaged my knee to need this surgery, I was at work 4 days later, even though I couldn't bend my knee for just shy of a month. I don't even know why I'm writing this. I guess I just needed to vent. But for anyone who actually read this, Is it normal for your whole body to hurt like this after surgery? Also, for anyone who read this drugged up post, I'm sorry I just took away 5 min of your life, and I guess I owe you a stick haha.

Comments

• docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I've never had surgery. Hope you have a good recovery. I read it- pay up. lol
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I've had 3 knee surgeries, one open, 2 scopes. Take the pain meds, suffer through the mental stuff. You'll thank me in a couple of days. The sleep you'll lose by not taking them will do more to f*ck up your mind than the meds will, I promise you. Your body needs the rest to recover.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    You dont owe anyone a stick brother. Take it from a guy who is 1 yr out from knee surgery #6 - TAKE THE DRUGS! They give em to you for a reason, and you need to take them til they're gone, as prescribed. Im guessing the wigging out you mentioned is due to your high pain threshold - you are probably the dude on the crew who REFUSES to take aspirin even when he has the mother of all headaches, right?

Your system isnt used to the drugs they gave you for recovery... and if it isnt used to THOSE, it sure as h3ll isnt used to the ones they give you before & after surgery. Those could actually be the reason you hurt so bad when you quit taking the pills they gave you for after surgery.

Im no medical professional (maybe we have some here on the forums who could take a shot at this one?), just a guy who has been where you're at a time or six. LOL Its different for every person, every time. This last surgery, I had no drug issues whatsoever by the time I left the recovery room. Other times, I was jakked up for a week or better.

Again, you need to take the meds bro. Doesnt make you a sissy, just makes you a smart (even when you're tripping LOL) man who will heal faster.

NEXT!

cabinetmaker:
    I've had 3 knee surgeries, one open, 2 scopes. Take the pain meds, suffer through the mental stuff. You'll thank me in a couple of days. The sleep you'll lose by not taking them will do more to f*ck up your mind than the meds will, I promise you. Your body needs the rest to recover.
    D@MN Cabby - we could be knee surgery buddies! LMAO Maybe next time we get F'd up, we can find an ortho guy who will give us a two for one deal. :-D

docedwards:
    I've never had surgery. Hope you have a good recovery. I read it- pay up. lol
    OK, I stand corrected Psycho - you owe Doc a stick. LOL

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    You dont owe anyone a stick brother. Take it from a guy who is 1 yr out from knee surgery #6 - TAKE THE DRUGS! They give em to you for a reason, and you need to take them til they're gone, as prescribed. Im guessing the wigging out you mentioned is due to your high pain threshold - you are probably the dude on the crew who REFUSES to take aspirin even when he has the mother of all headaches, right?

Your system isnt used to the drugs they gave you for recovery... and if it isnt used to THOSE, it sure as h3ll isnt used to the ones they give you before & after surgery. Those could actually be the reason you hurt so bad when you quit taking the pills they gave you for after surgery.

Im no medical professional (maybe we have some here on the forums who could take a shot at this one?), just a guy who has been where you're at a time or six. LOL Its different for every person, every time. This last surgery, I had no drug issues whatsoever by the time I left the recovery room. Other times, I was jakked up for a week or better.

Again, you need to take the meds bro. Doesnt make you a sissy, just makes you a smart (even when you're tripping LOL) man who will heal faster.

NEXT!

Ya, I've only had 1-2 real surgeries before. I had minor repair/clean up on my ACLs when I was 16, both done at the same time. And after I cracked my hip, broke my hand, and F'ed up my knee, I've been getting a steady supply of vicodines. Mostly don't take em, but was on daily for a couple months after the blown knee and other times when needed. So I got really used to and comfortable with the vics, but right now im on 10mg Percocets. I dont like em.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I had reconstructive ankle surgery back in 04 after a "training accident" lol It was by far the worst experience of my life. The day after was the worst thing ever and even for the 72 hours after that it was rough but it gets better I promise man. Hope you heal up well and if there's anything we can do for ya just let us know brother!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well, I can't say I've had the same surgery you've had... but I've had 14 major surgeries. I think Sniper might've seriously hit it on the nose with his comment about you not being used to the drugs. From what you're describing, it sounds like they gave you some seriously heavy painkillers - and there is a whole world of pharmaceuticals that the regular populace doesn't regularly hear about - these drugs take some time dude! On top of that, you often can't just up and quit taking them after a couple days, because then it's in your system and you WILL go through withdrawal. If you need something for the pain but can't handle the mental stress, explain this to your physician...it's possible that he/she might have another option for you.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I've been very fortunate. The only surgeries I've needed were from being "bombed" and having my "foot removed from my mouth". I've always recovered nicely.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

NEXT!

I'm with Sniper, he'**** it on the head. My last knee surgery was to replace what was becoming one large solid bone with a titanium joint, which is wonderful. You do need to be sure you're only taking the proper amount, though. The waking up in a panic can be from a couple of things: 1. the drugs wore off and the pain is overwhelming; 2. You were hurting enough that you forgot you took them, took another and fell asleep, got short of oxygen. The second can be dangerous, find a way to make sure you're only on schedule.

Also, do you have sleep apnea? You may not know, are you a snorer? That is usually an indication. Most men have at least mild sleep apnea. The medication makes this worse. Do the meds make you nauseaus? This makes you feel sick in your sleep, and affects the dreams. You might try some oral antiemetic with your pain med to help relieve this.

Lastly, hang in there! The first couple weeks after my knee replacement were hell, I kept waking up in a panic because the pain meds wore off, and in my dreams everyone was throwing up. Disgusting. I made sure not to take the Percoset within 2 hours of sleep, but had my doc give me a prescription for ambien, which made sure I got at least four hours uninterrupted sleep, which, as Cabbie pointed out (I think) helped clear the head. Good Luck, it WILL get better.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple other thoughts, now that I've had coffee. Nicotine. If you're a cigarette smoker, or use enough tobacco to be addicted, withdrawal can cause the panic. The other thing, nicotine greatly slows the healing process, primarily because you don't re-vascularize. You need to avoid all nicotine for at least the next 2 - 3 months. Pick a good cigar for your recovery celebration.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    The Sniper:

NEXT!

I'm with Sniper, he'**** it on the head. My last knee surgery was to replace what was becoming one large solid bone with a titanium joint, which is wonderful. You do need to be sure you're only taking the proper amount, though. The waking up in a panic can be from a couple of things: 1. the drugs wore off and the pain is overwhelming; 2. You were hurting enough that you forgot you took them, took another and fell asleep, got short of oxygen. The second can be dangerous, find a way to make sure you're only on schedule.

Also, do you have sleep apnea? You may not know, are you a snorer? That is usually an indication. Most men have at least mild sleep apnea. The medication makes this worse. Do the meds make you nauseaus? This makes you feel sick in your sleep, and affects the dreams. You might try some oral antiemetic with your pain med to help relieve this.

Lastly, hang in there! The first couple weeks after my knee replacement were hell, I kept waking up in a panic because the pain meds wore off, and in my dreams everyone was throwing up. Disgusting. I made sure not to take the Percoset within 2 hours of sleep, but had my doc give me a prescription for ambien, which made sure I got at least four hours uninterrupted sleep, which, as Cabbie pointed out (I think) helped clear the head. Good Luck, it WILL get better.
    The weird thing is that pain throughout my body was worse than the knee itself. I have switched to my lovely supply of vicodin and all and been well. It doesn't kill the pain as entirely at the percs, but mentally I can function normally on em. The whole body pain is gone for the most part, and very manageable to deal with. And for the record, I only smoke cigars, but I actually do have apnea and hypopnea, but I also have my CPAP. While I normally don't use the annoying lil thing, I've made sure to use it while medicated, especially after the anesthesia. Many many thanks to all that responded and gave opinions.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Yea, the main thing is to cause enough releif so that you can relax and heal.
  • That little voice in your head that makes you wake up in the middle of the night, is you conscience telling you that you should have packed up all your sticks and have sent them to be by now. :) We have to take up a collection and send a cute little House call nurse to your home for a special rubdown. How would that be for a bomb? :) Anyway, Speedy recovery bro..
    Mperconte:
    That little voice in your head that makes you wake up in the middle of the night, is you conscience telling you that you should have packed up all your sticks and have sent them to be by now. :) We have to take up a collection and send a cute little House call nurse to your home for a special rubdown. How would that be for a bomb? :) Anyway, Speedy recovery bro..
    Just like the one in Ferris Beulers Day Off? haha. If she's over 5'9, my gf would actually wanna share. Make that happen.