Home Non Cigar Related

The Dark Tower

bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just saw this today; it looks like Ron Howard and Stephen King are getting together to put the 7 book (soon to be 8) series on the big screen in 3 parts, starting 2013. It looks like they will fill in the time between movie releases with a TV series. I don't know about anyone else but I have been waiting almost 25 years for this to happen. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower Part 1) was released way back in 1982.

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    WOW! thats awesome... I kept reading that JJ Abrams was going to so it... but this is awesome... there is an 8th book coming out?

have you read any of the graphic novels? they are pretty good
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    looking forward to this big time..i love these books!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    WOW! thats awesome... I kept reading that JJ Abrams was going to so it... but this is awesome... there is an 8th book coming out?

This is the title of the 8th book, The Wind Through the Keyhole. I am happy that this is coming out because I keep blowing through his books to fast, I just got the new one; Full Dark, No Stars and finished it in 3 days.

What are the graphic novels? And where can I get them? I have read everything else he has put out.
    bandyt09:
    robbyras:

This is the title of the 8th book, The Wind Through the Keyhole. I am happy that this is coming out because I keep blowing through his books to fast, I just got the new one; Full Dark, No Stars and finished it in 3 days.

What are the graphic novels? And where can I get them? I have read everything else he has put out.
    I haven't read them all... but here you go...

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Gilead-Stephen-King/dp/0785129510/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1292702548&sr=8-5
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Fellow Tower Junkies on the Ccom forums!? I love it! This is a dangerous topic. If it’s done right then we’re in for a hell of a ride. If it’s done poorly I may slip into depression and smoke myself into a coma, death by ligero OD. But it is about time someone tried.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    dude, i had no idea. i fricking love these books. im reading wizard and glass again for the 4th time. cant get enough.
    One God, One Truth
    roland_7707:
    dude, i had no idea. i fricking love these books. im reading wizard and glass again for the 4th time. cant get enough.
    I hear that!! I have these books on a regular rotation, just like my smokes.
    robbyras, if you wanna read them and need copies I can send ya whatever you need.
    SmokySuit:
    This is a dangerous topic. If it’s done right then we’re in for a hell of a ride. But it is about time someone tried.
    Ron Howard.......Enough said.
    robbyras:
    bandyt09:
    robbyras:

I haven't read them all... but here you go...

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Gilead-Stephen-King/dp/0785129510/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1292702548&sr=8-5

Again, thank you for this. I need this link. It is always the darkest time for me between his books, especially when I was reading the Dark Tower series.
    SmokySuit:
    robbyras, if you wanna read them and need copies I can send ya whatever you need.
    Hey brother, what you got? Let me know what you want for 'em also......
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what tv station they will put it on. I hope FX or AMC. they have the baddest shows on. IMHO
    One God, One Truth
    Maybe it's time to pull out the Series again and give it a re-read seeing as I have 2 years+ to do it......
    bandyt09:
    SmokySuit:
    You mean what dark tower books do I have? I have them all. Which ones do you need?
    SmokySuit:
    bandyt09:
    SmokySuit:
    You mean what dark tower books do I have? I have them all. Which ones do you need?

Don't need any of the 7 novels; I buy those when they are first released and finish them a month later usually. Rob and I were talking about the graphic novels available for download from amazon.com, I thought you had copies of those.
    O, I’m sorry, I read that wrong. I don’t have all of the comic but I do have most of them. I actually haven’t even read them yet so I’m not sure what the titles are, but when I get home I’ll take a look. I’ve never been able to get into graphic novels but since they are dark tower I’ve been picking them up with the plans to read them.
    SmokySuit:
    Thanks! I read them all... and half of the graphic novels... bandy mentioned that there is soon the be an 8th book? really?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    bandyt09:
    Just saw this today; it looks like Ron Howard and Stephen King are getting together to put the 7 book (soon to be 8) series on the big screen in 3 parts, starting 2013. It looks like they will fill in the time between movie releases with a TV series. I don't know about anyone else but I have been waiting almost 25 years for this to happen. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower Part 1) was released way back in 1982.
    Two thoughts...

1) SEVEN of the greatest books ever written, condensed into NINE hours (Im figuring 3 hours per movie, MAX) - this has the potential to be a horrible train-wreck movie adaption a la "The Stand".

2) Thank God for an 8th book - hopefully NOW the Dark Tower series WILL HAVE AN ENDING WORTHY OF IT! (hope Stephen King is reading this! LOL) The ending of this series ranks as my #1 Stinker Ending of Any Story, Any Medium of All Time to this day!

The 8th book has a working title of " the wind through the key hole". And it's not going to change the ending of the series, according to king it will take place between book 4 and book 5.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a King fan, but I never got into the Dark Tower series. However, my wife could win a trivia contest about the series. I told her about this post and she immediately went to the official site.

The good news is the 8th book is coming out, the bad news is it is just a concept now. But there is a new book of King short stories out and that gives me an idea for another Christmas present for her.

Thanks guys, you've made me look like a hero!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really liked the first book but never looked for any of the others. Sure would like to read them before the movie thing happens. Books are always better.
    YankeeMan:
    I'm a King fan, but I never got into the Dark Tower series. However, my wife could win a trivia contest about the series. I told her about this post and she immediately went to the official site.

The good news is the 8th book is coming out, the bad news is it is just a concept now. But there is a new book of King short stories out and that gives me an idea for another Christmas present for her.

Thanks guys, you've made me look like a hero!
    Not sure of just a "concept now" on the 8th book as he announced it a year ago (Dec. 2009).

Just finished reading the new book, Full Dark, No Stars. 4 short stories done in the typical King short story fashion.
    The Sniper:
    bandyt09:
    Two thoughts...

1) SEVEN of the greatest books ever written, condensed into NINE hours (Im figuring 3 hours per movie, MAX) - this has the potential to be a horrible train-wreck movie adaption a la "The Stand".

2) Thank God for an 8th book - hopefully NOW the Dark Tower series WILL HAVE AN ENDING WORTHY OF IT! (hope Stephen King is reading this! LOL) The ending of this series ranks as my #1 Stinker Ending of Any Story, Any Medium of All Time to this day!

Glen, I can understand your concern regarding the compact nature that the movies will allow, however, don't forget that there is also a TV series that will bridge the 3 movies. Also, Ron Howard is directing the first movie so I am not anticipating a stinker there.

I too, built up the series so much that the ending really didn't do it for me. I was so disappointed when I finished I actually re-read the last chapter again figuring I missed something.

I think "Hearts in Atlantis" was the worst adaptation of a King book to the big screen that I have ever had the displeasure of seeing, IT was the best.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I dont know, I may have to go Cujo, or maybe Firestarter for the best SK movie of all time. Ive never seen or read Hearts In Atlantis... but thanks for the warning. LOL

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    I dont know, I may have to go Cujo, or maybe Firestarter for the best SK movie of all time. Ive never seen or read Hearts In Atlantis... but thanks for the warning. LOL

Usually his novels do not lend themselves to good movies because of the depth of his characters. My all time favorite is Misery.

YankeeMan:
    The Sniper:

Usually his novels do not lend themselves to good movies because of the depth of his characters. My all time favorite is Misery.

The Shinning was EASILY the best King movie... Misery was good... and I liked the mini series they did for IT
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Man...I read these books WAY back when, and it's been so long. Borrowed from my brother-in-law initially... Wonder if he still has em. Might have to read through the series again - damn good read.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨