Home Non Cigar Related

Support Your Team!

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Just thought I'd make a new thread a little more light hearted than all the political posts. I do love a good heated discussion, but I love some football too!!!

How about the Cowboys? My god they won finally! One of the most talent packed teams in the NFL have looked like a bunch of high school kids for the past several weeks! They basically lucked out this week with the win against the Bucs. The horse collar penalty saved them on what would have been a punt and Tampa would have run the clock out.
The Titans (Ten. not the Gurkahs ha) proved to me Monday night that they truely are a tough team that has the heart to be a serious contender even without Vince Young. (who was my back up in my fantasy football league damnit! haha)

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'm glad that the one game I'm going to this season was this past Sunday as my Panthers hosted the Cardinals. I was worried going in, and it didn't look promising after the first half. I really like the way we turned that around. With a soft 3 weeks ahead of us (bye, Raiders, Lions), we look to be in good shape for a difficult final six games. I still think my pre-season prediction of 10 wins might be difficult unless we can somehow figure out a way to cut down on penalties. It's all about getting to the playoffs. After that, anything can happen.

Puro, I don't think we would agree on anything. I hate those Cowboys ;) Although I did have Romo and T.O. on my fantasy team last year, which was great except that the eventual champ had Brady and Moss :) You've got a lot of firecrackers on that Cowboy team. Are you worried that they may lose their cool with Romo out, or do you think they'll pull it together in time for the playoffs? That's a tall order considering the teams in the NFC East.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm sticking to my pre-season statement that a 5-win season for my Dolphins would be very satisfying, even though they've surprised me by winning 3 already. Anything more than that is gravy.

I think this Cowboys team just has too much drama to be consistent on the field. They're the Eagles of past years. I wonder what the connection might be . . . hmmmmm . . . Actually, that's not entirely fair. It wasn't all TO; McNabb seems to be a magnet for drama. Or he was until this year, anyway.

I don't mind rooting for the Panthers a little, but I really think they just got a bit lucky on Sunday. If they played 3 times, AZ would win twice. But they're still a franchise that's just kinda learning how to win, so they'll have weeks like this. Somebody's going to luck into playing them those weeks; this time, it was the Panthers.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well Romo will more than likely only miss the Giants game and then the Bye week and should return for the Washington game. I'll have to just wait and see how they play with him back. I don't hold out much hope for this weekend against New York, but I hope they can mount a stunning comeback with Romo back under center. They need it at this point to stand any kind of a chance.

I have Romo, TO, Witten, and Nick Folk on my fantasy team this year. Witten and Folk are the most reliable ones out of that group. I also have Hines Ward, Randle El, Amani Toomer, and Michael Pittman so I've got a fairly solid team but just struggling a bit.

P.S. There is one thing we agree on, I also am fond of the Onyx Reserve! haha
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    My team is the Cleveland Browns. I just hope to one day to see them in the playoffs. It won't be this year. Maybe next year. Anyway, my workhorse in fantasy has been Clinton Portis. This guy is racking up the fanstasy points this year. My team is 5-3, not so bad. This is my first year playing fantasy and It would be cool to win. I'm curious how your teams are doing.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my home town team:
    the Cincinnati Bengals...

they have an honest chance of setting a record this year:
    0-16

im so proud.
    kuzi16:
    my home town team:

0-16

im so proud.
    If they don't make a cigar for that occasion by god they should!!! haha
    Nah. I think you're safe, kuzi. The Bengals have more talent than the Dolphins did last year, and even they managed to win one.
    Don't go stealing our record, Kuzi! I remember when the Panthers (2000?) went 1-0 to start the season, then rattled off 15 straight losses. These weren't blowout, never-in-the-game type losses, either. These were leading-the-game-inside-2-minutes heart-breakers. It would have been far less frustrating if they had been blowouts. I hated that season.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Nah. I think you're safe, kuzi. The Bengals have more talent than the Dolphins did last year, and even they managed to win one.
    iduno...
    the Bengals have a history of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    my home town team:

0-16

im so proud.

proud is not the word...things looked promising the past couple years and something always has to happen...I miss Boomer
  • ShikaShika Posts: 13
    WHO DAT! No, really. I root for the Saints. Even if we're having an awful year so far (Reggie Bush out on injury, use of disallowed drugs by Deuce McAllister and others) I'm still hoping. Besides, they went to LONDON last week. And WON. That's all I really need.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hail to the Redskins, Hail to Victory ...

3rd best record in football. Damn shame the best record is in the East as well.
    Don't the Titans have the best record?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Pats!

Lived throught the bad times now enjoying the good times ........

for now
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    DA BEARS!!! And Kuzi, don't worry. T.J. Houshmenzadah guaranteed that they would win 1 game this year or he would walk to the NFL studios to say that he was wrong. That is a pretty big assumption that he is making.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Chargers.
    I just wish we didn't rely so heavily on LT to win us games or that they would just rest him to heal up that turf toe. That and Merriman doing the stupid thing and not getting surgery on that ligament in the off-season.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Let me put it this way - my team "got one for the thumb," it just wasn't in 81.
    urbino:
    Don't the Titans have the best record?
    Damn I meant to say best record in the NFC. The Skins do have the 3rd best record in football(tied for) and the Giants have the best record in the NFC!
    Garen B:
    That and Merriman doing the stupid thing and not getting surgery on that ligament in the off-season.
    He would've been out this whole season either way. He tried to be tough and unfortunately that injury just didn't care how tough he was.
    In the upset of the year NY beat the Dallas Cowboys! haha Yea right, like anyone didn't see that coming...

The Titans remain undefeated after a great overtime win. Not that I would freakin know! The local Dallas station cut away from the game as the *** were sending out the field goal unit in OT to go to the sideline pregame show for the Cowboys game! I am a huge Cowboys fan, but if they would have waited just 30 seconds we could have seen the field goal and still not missed any of the other game. Piss poor timing for the local Fox station!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:

Hmmm, what could we wager when our teams meet up tomorrow night?
    I think the gang from Monty Python said it best when they said: fishy, fishy, fishy, fish!

Phins rool, Broncos drool.
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    The Colts got a big win last night against the Patriots. Wild Card is still within our sights.
    PuroFreak:
    In the upset of the year NY beat the Dallas Cowboys! haha Yea right, like anyone didn't see that coming...

The Titans remain undefeated after a great overtime win. Not that I would freakin know! The local Dallas station cut away from the game as the *** were sending out the field goal unit in OT to go to the sideline pregame show for the Cowboys game! I am a huge Cowboys fan, but if they would have waited just 30 seconds we could have seen the field goal and still not missed any of the other game. Piss poor timing for the local Fox station!
    I absolutely hate it when they do that stuff. You would think, as professionals in the sports entertainment delivery industry, that they would understand what people want to see. For some reason, though, I believe that this is a contractual commitment with the NFL regarding the broadcasts within the market area for a particular team. But it boggles my mind that they continue to pull away from the most exciting moments of a game (the closing seconds, particularly overtime) to cut to pre-game coverage.
    HOW about them Steelers?? Even with a the backup QB still put Washington in their place! wow! I think they could be a force to be recond with before it's over this year!
  • My Redskins took a gigantic dump after the first half last night. *sigh* 5-3 now. Well, considering two of those losses are against two teams that are now 6-2 and 7-1, I guess it's not that terrible.

PS - Kornheiser is a ****. He's almost as annoying as John Madden.
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    jlzimmerman:
    PS - Kornheiser is a ****. He's almost as annoying as John Madden.

I don't like Kornheiser doing the games but I hate it when Madden explains six times why the ruling on the field was no touchdown.

Hey John, I understand that the ball has to cross the goal line for it to not be a touchdown. You don't need to use the telestrator again.
    Sometimes it's fun to play this drinking game when you watch football: Everybody takes a drink whenever an announcer says "horse collar," "indisputable," "plane," or "Favre." When Madden's announcing, everybody sounds like him by the end of the game.
    dutyje:
    Sometimes it's fun to play this drinking game when you watch football: Everybody takes a drink whenever an announcer says "horse collar," "indisputable," "plane," or "Favre." When Madden's announcing, everybody sounds like him by the end of the game.

Thats just a like a drinking game we used to play watching the religious channels! Everytime the guy says "And the lord said" half of the room takes a drink, when he says "JEEEESUS" the other half drinks. We all end up drunk as hell! haha And possibly going to hell!
    Luko:
    madurofan:

Hmmm, what could we wager when our teams meet up tomorrow night?
    Dammit...