Home Ratings & Reviews

Morro Castle

So I just got one today as part of a sampler... anyone try these yet?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I got one too. They didn't even come up on the search. Totally a blind shot but hey, it's AJ and at that price...
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I had my first one today... I picked a few up on the B1G1 deal last month...

it was a nice smoke... medium flavors that got more robust as it burned... it reminded me a LOT of the AJ Fernandez Signature Sumatra... I remember hearing that the Signature series was going being discontinued and getting re-released under a new name, anyone know if this is it?

I really enjoyed it even though it wasn't a flavor bomb... it was much more subtle and there was some sweetness on the finish
  • Nice, on my "to try" list !
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    robbyras:

it was a nice smoke... medium flavors that got more robust as it burned... it reminded me a LOT of the AJ Fernandez Signature Sumatra... I remember hearing that the Signature series was going being discontinued and getting re-released under a new name, anyone know if this is it?

I really enjoyed it even though it wasn't a flavor bomb... it was much more subtle and there was some sweetness on the finish
    I hope that is not the case. I have a box full of the sumatras in various vitolas.

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    stephen_hannibal:
    robbyras:

I hope that is not the case. I have a box full of the sumatras in various vitolas.

Yeah, idunno... it just really reminded me of the sumatra... although in retrospect it was a little more bold
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Cool, I can't wait to try mine, I love the Signature Series, one of my favorite smokes and definitely one of the most affordable.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Bought a torpedo 5 pack after a recommendation from the CI staff. I am happy I got em as they are good to go...good flavor and medium in body. I would buy them again for sure.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I just picked up 10 of the torpedos, I will give an opinion when they arrive
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I just picked up 10 of the torpedos, I will give an opinion when they arrive
    Just noticed these in the new catalog, very interested in your opinion when you get to them, they look nice and at a decent price.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • just got one myself,,,,,looking forwrd to trying it!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I got ten belicosos Tuesday, have smoked two so far and enjoyed them. Nice medium bodied cigar at a good price point on sale (10 for $27.50).
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    DAMN IT SOMEONE POST TASTING NOTES!!!!!!

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    DAMN IT SOMEONE POST TASTING NOTES!!!!!!

I had to laugh at this! :D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    So I had my first Morro Castle last night.
    I may receive some flak but the initial 1/2 inch reminded my of Ave Maria.
    The profile changed after that, I picked up spicey notes/toasty notes and a hint of cream.
    Earthy 2nd half and toward the nub picked up pepper. The was a hint of toasty sweetness on the finish.
    The burn was rather even and the draw was just right.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I think Shotgun John is right on track. Nice medium body with hints of cream and toast, flavor intensified as the stick progressed and it was enjoyable. It will not win any awards but it is a solid stick as most AJ's are. It is not a MOW in any sense but it is enjoyable. I got mine at $2.75 a stick for 10 which I felt was reasonable
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I think Shotgun John is right on track. Nice medium body with hints of cream and toast, flavor intensified as the stick progressed and it was enjoyable. It will not win any awards but it is a solid stick as most AJ's are. It is not a MOW in any sense but it is enjoyable. I got mine at $2.75 a stick for 10 which I felt was reasonable
    Thanks gypsy, I agree this cigar is a better than average stick, that is good, but it doesn't stand out and shine ahead of the pack.
    I also got mine for the same price.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Just got some robustos, can't wait to try one.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Just smoked my first Morro Castle an hour or so ago, had an issue with it that nobody mentioned here, and that Ive never had before. The cap & shoulder area was "squishy", like there wasnt enough tobacco there or something - the only thing I can liken it to was the good ol' "dead fish" handshake you sometimes get from people. HATE THAT!

This may have unduly affected my perception of the stick, but I wasnt impressed. Flavor was pretty one-trick for me (lot of earth mostly) and the finish kept jumping back and forth between the sweet someone on this thread mentioned and harsh.

Ive got a couple more laying around here and will of course give them another shot to find if it was a bum stick or one that just isnt up my alley. Got to admit though, if AJ's name wasnt attached to this I probably wouldnt bother....

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've had one and like it, it was definetly medium in body(and strength if we are still up in the air as to whether they are the same) and flavor. Its definetly not a after dinner smoke but was a very pleasant mid afternoon job, which is one of my favorite times to have a smoke lately. Smooth, flavors and not spicy but it built up along the way. Typical AJ
  • DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    I would have to agree with the general tone here. I've smoked ten of them now and while it is a nice medium bodied cigar, it is not a bell ringer. So, no more for me unless they can be had at a pretty sharp sale price. Also, on several samples, the wrapper has split in spite of having several weeks at 67%.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an AJ fan, I have high hopes for the Morro Castle...I have been wanting to try them for some time now. I just haven't got my hands on any yet.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Just had one this morning. I don't have a good palate when it comes to tasting. I can't retrohale to save my life so I can't get a lot of the flavors. It's smoked well, great draw, burn, and ash. Kinda tasted like wood and a little spicyness. Had an aftertaste of nuts. I would smoke it again, but probably not buy in bulk. But that's just my 2 cents.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up ten a while back, down to 3 now.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Morrow Castles are all about the wrapper, AJ's famous hybrid Ecuadorian Sumatra. Its' the same wrapper found on the original La Herencia Cubana and the Ccom House Blend Cuban Label. I really like the wrapper, but the Morro Castle fillers are 1 dimensional.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    beatnic:
    Morrow Castles are all about the wrapper, AJ's famous hybrid Ecuadorian Sumatra. Its' the same wrapper found on the original La Herencia Cubana and the Ccom House Blend Cuban Label. I really like the wrapper, but the Morro Castle fillers are 1 dimensional.
    I had a couple of 5'ers delivered while I was away and have only smoked a couple of these but I found them to be a really enjoyable stick. Maybe not the most complex stick but like so many other AJ sticks... if the flavor profile is that good why would I want it to change. I believe "Complexity" in a cigar is something realy over rated. Seems to me, more of a challenge to have a stick hold that flavor all the way through rather then to call the changing flavor as the tobacco heats up and changes flavor "Complexity". IMO
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    laker1963:
    beatnic:
    I had a couple of 5'ers delivered while I was away and have only smoked a couple of these but I found them to be a really enjoyable stick. Maybe not the most complex stick but like so many other AJ sticks... if the flavor profile is that good why would I want it to change. I believe "Complexity" in a cigar is something realy over rated. Seems to me, more of a challenge to have a stick hold that flavor all the way through rather then to call the changing flavor as the tobacco heats up and changes flavor "Complexity". IMO
    +100. I completely agree with you Doug, on the Morrow Castles and more especially the whole complexity issue. Im going to get absolutely flamed for what Im about to say, but the only cigar Ive ever smoked that was VERY complex was the Sol Cubano Artisan, and the flavor profile on that stick changed dramatically during each and every puff. Most people claim the Sol Cubano Artisan as one of the "worst cigars Ive ever smoked"... but a good chunk of those same people are the first to thrown down the "it wasnt very complex" card on most of the cigars they comment on.

Im with Doug - if what you're getting off a stick is enjoyable, why the he11 would you want it to change, and then look down your nose at it when it doesnt?

RANT COMPLETE. We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum surfing. :-)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Don't get me wrong about them. I keep em in my humi. I really like them, because of the wrapper, and I think most of the flavor for this stick comes from there.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    The Sniper:
    laker1963:
    beatnic:
    +100. I completely agree with you Doug, on the Morrow Castles and more especially the whole complexity issue. Im going to get absolutely flamed for what Im about to say, but the only cigar Ive ever smoked that was VERY complex was the Sol Cubano Artisan, and the flavor profile on that stick changed dramatically during each and every puff. Most people claim the Sol Cubano Artisan as one of the "worst cigars Ive ever smoked"... but a good chunk of those same people are the first to thrown down the "it wasnt very complex" card on most of the cigars they comment on.

Im with Doug - if what you're getting off a stick is enjoyable, why the he11 would you want it to change, and then look down your nose at it when it doesnt?

RANT COMPLETE. We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum surfing. :-)

hahaha, well placed rant Glen, and I agree with you on the whole complexity thing.

If a Cigar is tasty, it certainly shouldn't be discounted if its not complex. A one trick pony is perfect if you like that one trick. Plus I usually get an increase in strength as you burn any cigar down to the nub, but I don't think thats complexity but rather the normal progression of a cigar as it heats up and as you get to a different part of the leaf. Also I have to add that to me the flavors can be complex even if they don't change. Alot of medium bodied stuff has a lot going on all the way through the smoke, and even if it doesn't change in each third, I still think that's complex if you pick up 3-4 differnet flavors at the same time.

Morro Castles . . . . I really freaking like em. To me their a tasty, toasty, nutty, woody, little medium bodied smoke. Does that make it a complex smoke? Not sure, for me, I'd say, yes, but would agree with others who argued no, becuase it tastes the same all the way through. In either case . . . . YUM. I might have to grab one this afternoon.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    I just smoked a Morro Castle for the first time today and being that I am a noob really to cigars and dont have a very developed palate yet my review will not be as detailed as most.. To me, this is a mild-med cigar that starts out sweet, then moves to a more nutty aspect. This cigar had a great draw and burn. It had alot of smoke(which i like), to me it had a good flavor and was a very enjoyable smoke.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    After reading this review from the folks on the forum I had to pick up some. I very rarely go out on a limb here but I figured I'd give it a shot. Right now I'm 0/1 so if they blow, I'm sure someone will be beating down my inbox. =P