Home Non Cigar Related

Was given an Offer

MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
I just to to post to vent. I was offered a supervisors position today. Here comes the kicker the offer was 3K less then a made last year. What the F. More work more headache less pay. I told them I would send a counter offer in the morning. They tried to justify it by saying this was a great move towards a manager position. It should be an interesting day tomorrow for sure.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    MESKC:
    I just to to post to vent. I was offered a supervisors position today. Here comes the kicker the offer was 3K less then a made last year. What the F. More work more headache less pay. I told them I would send a counter offer in the morning. They tried to justify it by saying this was a great move towards a manager position. It should be an interesting day tomorrow for sure.
    I'd only take it if it could spring into a job elsewhere.

EDIT: F**k it... I wouldn't take it. It's a d**n carrot chase.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Less money for more responsibility is a bit counter-intuitive, but at the same time an opportunity for advancement is worth the consideration. I guess that's a choice you have to make, whether it's worth the sacrifice to move yourself up the ladder.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Total compensation isn't always about the amount of cash one is paid. Only you knows what your situation is, but I wouldn't think something was a bad deal strictly based on a $3k lower salary.
  • Also the question of wanting to be a manager is what you want or not. Again, only you know the ends and outs. Either way, I hope for the best for you.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    One2gofst:
    Total compensation isn't always about the amount of cash one is paid. Only you knows what your situation is, but I wouldn't think something was a bad deal strictly based on a $3k lower salary.

Couldn't agree more with One2gofst here. I took a position with a new dealer in Oct. and for a few months I will make less than I did but the potential to make as much or more is there. BUT , the really great thing is I no longer have to work 6-7 days a week. No longer have to work till 9pm,10pm or later each night I'm at work. No longer have to work any Sundays. Get at least one day off during week plus Sunday plus get to leave abot 4-5 pm at least one day a week ( we close at 7pm) . Have the dealers blessing when time needed off for my dads cancer problems instead of a lecture about we need every man every minute every day !!! Much more relaxed atmosphere , even though I have about 10 people under me now . I have not fallen asleep driving home like I once did at my old job and am much more relaxed and happier. I'm getting to spend time with family that could never be regained if lost . More responsibility sure, more people depending on me sure , but a he_ll of a lot happier !!!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Also the question of wanting to be a manager is what you want or not. Again, only you know the ends and outs. Either way, I hope for the best for you.

They do this at my place too. I think they want to see how "committed" you are to the company. One thing that got me to go for it was that I was nearly "capped out" in my old post. Two years after the switch - I'm way ahead of where I used to be with a cap that I might never reach (plus if I did hti the new cap - WOW). Like guardian said, it's up to you - best of luck either way!
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Also the question of wanting to be a manager is what you want or not. Again, only you know the ends and outs. Either way, I hope for the best for you.
    ditto... Good Luck Brother!
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Come back with their offer + the 3K difference in pay, and demand an advancement plan IN WRITING. Get something written where this is what you have to do/prove step-by-step to get to where you want to go, and sit down with your boss ever 30-90 days to go over your progress, again IN WRITING.

Bottom line is you don't want to chase a carrot blindly, like someone already mentioned. Hold them accountable by making them hold you accountable. Win/win.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Come back with their offer + the 3K difference in pay, and demand an advancement plan IN WRITING. Get something written where this is what you have to do/prove step-by-step to get to where you want to go, and sit down with your boss ever 30-90 days to go over your progress, again IN WRITING.

Bottom line is you don't want to chase a carrot blindly, like someone already mentioned. Hold them accountable by making them hold you accountable. Win/win.
    +1

"Long ashes my friends."

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Money aint everything but it sure does help. I don't make as much as I did one time either but I have a lot of other perks that I wanted and I have real power over my group.
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. Spent 2 hours talking it over and giving very detailed points with backup to go with it. Now it is just a waiting game as they said they would have review the numbers.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:
    MESKC:

I gotta go with hannibal's edit here - so whats the reward when you make manager? Making the same amount of money that you are now??? More responsibility should ALWAYS come with more compensation, because it D@MN sure comes with more headaches! Of course I dont know all the details, but this seems VERY counter-intuitive to me.

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:
    MESKC:

I gotta go with hannibal's edit here - so whats the reward when you make manager? Making the same amount of money that you are now??? More responsibility should ALWAYS come with more compensation, because it D@MN sure comes with more headaches! Of course I dont know all the details, but this seems VERY counter-intuitive to me.

+1, Just my 2 cents, but I've never worked in a job where being a supervisor equaled making less pay.
    Light 'em up.