Home General Discussion

value smokes

Can you guys recommend some less expensive sticks for day to day. My wife has determined that my cigar habit might be getting a little expensive...i guess after seeing the figures i have to agree....i only smoke a few a week but working as a paramedic with four kids im by no means rich. Also during the summer i tend to smoke a bit more...lol my fave's are partagas, nub habano, ave marie, rp vintage and such but will try it if you recomend it....thank you! no swisher sweets or black n milds please!

Comments

• medic_xmedic_x Posts: 35
    ALSO...I HAVENT TRIED ANY CCOM HOUSE BLENDS SO FEEL FREE TO RECOMEND ONE OF THOSE IF U LIKE
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Gran Habano makes a great line that are usually at a great price, especially in the daily deal. I would recommend the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 but I won't because I don't want anyone else to know about a great stick at $2 a piece. Oh wait, what just happened. S#!t!

Honestly, that stick in the robusto size is the best bang for your buck that I've found. Also, you can call ccom and tell them you would like to spend $x per cigar and they'll read you a list of what you could buy. For example, if you say $2.00 per cigar, they will tell you about the Vintage 2002, quite a few 5 Vegas, Black Pearl, etc. I'd also ask what the best price you can get some 2nds at. They are quite a few sticks that aren't advertised on the site that you can get a great deal on.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't smoke enough to need a value smoke, but there are a couple sticks I keep around that are definitely in the value range. Sancho Panza Extra Fuertes, I like the Madrid size. Also the Cuba Libre Epicure. You may want to try the JdN Extra Fuerte as well. Another thing you can do is just wait for a good daily deal or special and just stock up. It's always better to smoke what you like at a cheap price.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    For a mild value smoke I always go for the Indian Tabac Limitied Reserve.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    hmmm... The Cigar.com House Blends are really good.
    I also smoke the crap out of Puros Indios Viejo

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    CCOM Sungrown!
    Light 'em up.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Rocky Patel R4, Padron Londres, and La Herencia Cubana are all great smokes for under $4 a stick.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    JCizzle:
    CCOM Sungrown!
    Yep. Also, the entire 5 Vegas line is really good and really affordable.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Diesel UC. 30 sticks for 100$ or less...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Yes. This. All day long.

The easiest way to smoke affordably is by filling your humi with daily deals. Paying listed price for anything is the most expensive way to go. For example, today's daily deal is 3 different types of Torano (10 total) for $30, that's only $3/each. Pretty damn good for a good quality smoke and you can do deals like this every day. I'm a real bargain hunter and you can easily find excellent smokes for $3 as long as you have the humi space to order and then store your cigars.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    5 Vegas line and CCOM House Blends. Especially the CCOM Sungrown, Red and Brazilian Labels!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    +1 to everything said already, esp the CCOM House Blends, Diesel UC and the 5 Vegas line. I'd also throw in Gurkha's Park Ave and Montesino (by Fuente) maduro, although they are both pretty mild - not sure if that is your cup of tea or not.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nubs are good, but they're a bit expensive for such a little stub, and there are cigars that're as good or better that are at a better price

+1 to the Ccom purple/brazilian laberls, the 5 Vegas line, and the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 (the churchill size needs 2 weeks or so in the humi, then they get really good)

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    5 Vegas Classic and 5 Vegas AAA are really good sticks on a budget.
    Gurkha Park Ave. is a stick blended by AJ Fernandez that is a terrific mild stick.
    Nica Libre is a pretty good stick, I like them a lot in the Diplomat size.
    CCom House Blends are great. I like the Corona size Red House Blend.
    Look in the "sales" section. there are a ton of good deals in there.
  • anything 5 vegas i picked up 10 classics for 25 bucks
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha park ave. ~$3/stick box price.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Gran Habano Blue Label, Cu Avana Intenso, Sancho Panza Double Maduro, and you can find the Rocky Patel 1990 and 1992 (cosmetic) 2nds quite easily for around $3 each.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep your eye out for samplers and DD's.

Also +1 on the ccom SunGrown. The Blue and Corojo are good too.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    bigharpoon:
    docbp87:
    Yes. This. All day long.

The easiest way to smoke affordably is by filling your humi with daily deals. Paying listed price for anything is the most expensive way to go. For example, today's daily deal is 3 different types of Torano (10 total) for $30, that's only $3/each. Pretty damn good for a good quality smoke and you can do deals like this every day. I'm a real bargain hunter and you can easily find excellent smokes for $3 as long as you have the humi space to order and then store your cigars.
    +1 to both points here. the Daily deals can be awesome, and the Diesel UC by the box has got to be one of the best cigar values out there.

Also check out the sampler section, becuase there are some great samplers, such as the Diesel High Octane sampler, which averages to around $3.50 a cigar.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:

+1 - Hannibal speaks truth! Puros Indios Viejo are REALLY good, and can be had for a good bit under $40 per box if you put in a little due diligence on the World Wide Interweb.

Everybody knows Im a **** for the CCom Purple Label, nuff said. Also when it comes to milds, Im surprised nobody mentioned Verdadero yet - excellent smoke that again can be found for sub $40 per box prices.

Nica Libre is a good medium bodied maduro that can be snapped up around $40 per box also.

Happy Hunting!

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    medic x, pm to you.

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Also when it comes to milds, Im surprised nobody mentioned Verdadero yet - excellent smoke that again can be found for sub $40 per box prices.

Cant' belive I forgot Verdadero Organic. I went through an infatuation with those when they were pretty new but have gotten away from them as of late. While they're definitely mild, they are solid tasty sticks IMO (as long as a mild connie is your thing) that can be found dirt cheap.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    They are out there, my target price is $2--$3 a stick, I do go more for better stuff when I can get the right deal. I scour several sites daily looking for that good deal and find it regularly.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Heavy:
    The Sniper:
    Also when it comes to milds, Im surprised nobody mentioned Verdadero yet - excellent smoke that again can be found for sub $40 per box prices.

Cant' belive I forgot Verdadero Organic. I went through an infatuation with those when they were pretty new but have gotten away from them as of late. While they're definitely mild, they are solid tasty sticks IMO (as long as a mild connie is your thing) that can be found dirt cheap.
    This! I can't believe I forgot them either, I'm not normally a mild fan but really enjoy this stick
  • The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

+1 - Hannibal speaks truth! Puros Indios Viejo are REALLY good, and can be had for a good bit under $40 per box if you put in a little due diligence on the World Wide Interweb.

Everybody knows Im a **** for the CCom Purple Label, nuff said. Also when it comes to milds, Im surprised nobody mentioned Verdadero yet - excellent smoke that again can be found for sub $40 per box prices.

Nica Libre is a good medium bodied maduro that can be snapped up around $40 per box also.

Happy Hunting!

+1 on all these :)
  • medic_x:
    My wife has determined that my cigar habit might be getting a little expensive...
    In addition to all the great recommendations for cigars, might I suggest that you turn your habit into a hobby?

Smoke less sticks... make each one a treat or a reward for a long day's end, or a job well done, or for simply skipping a day. Make up a set of goals you need to accomplish before you allow yourself a cigar.

Smoke one or two cigars only every other day, but enjoy them... look forward to them, make them a special ocassion for relaxing and sitting outside or watching a favorite tv show while sitting by the fire or only after you and your wife have dinner.

This way you can still smoke premium cigars, and your budget will allow you to enjoy each one more.
    Smoke a super premium at the beginning or end of each month as a reward to yourself for choosing quality time with your cigars over quantity.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you keep cigar smoking special instead of just something you do without thinking about it. :)

I work 24 on and 48 off and i usually smoke a cigar on my way to work with my coffee n the radio....nothing more relaxing before a potentially stressful shift...then after my shift i again enjoy a smoke on the ride home....i rarely smoke in the house because its forbidden...lol cigars are the most relaxing thing i have ever done....during the summer i have two every two days which is about four a week...maybe five.....mostly in the evening when it cools off some...im a medic with four kids...three of them teens...trust me i enjoy every one....lol
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Dr. -your advise is well received on my end -this is the kind of smoker I am, trying to force myself to take some time for myself even if it is only 1 hour at a time -damm it is cold right now though (4' F) expecting 1 foot of snow tomorrow with high wind...not going to nice...certainly little opportunity to follow the good Dr.'s orders for awhile
    Solid advise doc...lol just been a little more stressed than usual i guess and cigars are so damn calming...i promise you i devote them my total attention...lol i also just purchased a 100 ct humi and as soon as i get the damn hygrometer calibrated so i can maintain my rh i will probably start storing more and smoking less...I tend to smoke what i buy fairly quickly for fear of them drying out or blowing up in my cigar jar....lol Your right though it is probably more of a habit than a hobby...more of an obsession really...lol though it goes well with my rum habit has well....lol I was just looking for some good value smokes to help save some cash when im in a mood to smoke a little more...especially through the summer cookout season!
  • stephen_hannibal:

+1 for the Puros Indios Viejo. You can find them for around a buck per cigar.