Home General Discussion

So who's gonna get hit by the BIG STORM ?

So they are talking crazy sleet ice and snow for the mid west and it looks as I am supposed to be getting the worst of it. 3 inches of ice then 6-12 inches of snow on top and then another 2 inches of sleet. I've been splitting wood all day and stocking up on rock salt.
How are you guys that have to deal with this storm preparing ? We will probably lose power and that is not good as I use a cigar oasis to power my big Humi. I have about 20 humi pillows ( all from the massive bomb you guys hit me with ) so hopefully that will be enough to keep the humidity up as we will probably be without power for days.

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    is your roof gonna be able to support all that weight?

"Long ashes my friends."

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn brother..hope the storm doesnt get as bad as it sounds. Make sure you and the wifey stay safe (cigars too!).
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Krieg:

Good question. I have no idea. Brand new rood so I hope so. We are not used to this kind of weather. Snow and ice yes but not at this level
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    Krieg:

Good question. I have no idea. Brand new rood so I hope so. We are not used to this kind of weather. Snow and ice yes but not at this level
    i heard on the news the people in north east are having their roofs collapse under the weight...that's pretty damn bad considering their houses are built to support up to a certain weight of snow/ice.

"Long ashes my friends."

• MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    We are to get 10-12 inches here in Kansas City, but it may shift a little south and not dump as much here.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    So they are talking crazy sleet ice and snow for the mid west and it looks as I am supposed to be getting the worst of it. 3 inches of ice then 6-12 inches of snow on top and then another 2 inches of sleet. I've been splitting wood all day and stocking up on rock salt.
    How are you guys that have to deal with this storm preparing ? We will probably lose power and that is not good as I use a cigar oasis to power my big Humi. I have about 20 humi pillows ( all from the massive bomb you guys hit me with ) so hopefully that will be enough to keep the humidity up as we will probably be without power for days.
    No offense but, "getting the worst of it"? I don't think so. I'm in Ma. We have had one storm a week for the past 5 weeks. None under 12". They're calling for another 10"-20" this week! We're running out of places to put it. Plus my house is under construction and I have nothing but F'n Tyvek around it. I am so sick of the $hit! We have snow mounds over 8' high! This Winter Blows! Good luck and stay safe & warm.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    They say we are goof to be getting up to 2 feet here in chicago. I was booked on a flight to Nicaragua Wednesday morning but changed my flight to tomorrow morning to try to sneak out of here before it hits.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Alex Svenson:
    They say we are goof to be getting up to 2 feet here in chicago. I was booked on a flight to Nicaragua Wednesday morning but changed my flight to tomorrow morning to try to sneak out of here before it hits.
    That's not fair and simply just rude to bring that up to all of us.

Have a great trip and bring my back something good!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really sympathize with all you folks who are getting hit with this winter b#llsh1t - I sincerely do. I grew up in Detroit and, while the winters may not have been as bad as some places, I'm eternally grateful to be living in California. I wish I could ship some of this weather to each of you.

Hang in there, though. As has been said, "This, too, shall pass".

Marty

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    We're supposed to get a fair bit in StL. It is freezing rain right now. Roads are fine, but I expect them to get worse into the evening. Ice to start late tonight/early morning followed up by snow throughout tomorrow into Wed. Latest I have heard is, depending on where one is in the metro area, anywhere from .1-.5" ice and anywhere from 4-12" snow. If you get more ice, you'll get less snow and vice versa. Everyone stay safe.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Im in NH. Not sure what we gonna get hit with i dont watch the weather. But im sure it will blow. Pretty soon there will only be enough room for a couple cars in my Parking lot if we keep getting hit like this. As long as its done buy sat for our NE Herf ill be happy i guess
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I suppose this isn't the thread to mention that it's around 75F where I live?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I hop we get hit and have the day off. I have a lot of That '70s show to watch!
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I have to drive back and forth to Toledo tomorrow and Wednesday for clinicals.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    tell chris i said thanks. his hospitality was nothing short of fantastic!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    xmacro:
    I suppose this isn't the thread to mention that it's around 75F where I live?
    Nobody likes you very much xmacro.

:-D

• jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    we are going to get hit but noting like you. If you get hit with that you wont have power for at least a month. man that sucks
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    MESKC:
    We are to get 10-12 inches here in Kansas City, but it may shift a little south and not dump as much here.
    Yeah... that shift a little south is going to be pretty much centered on us here in lovely scenic Warrensburg MO. They are saying that when its all said and done we could get up to 22" here over the next day & a half or so...

with winds up to 40mph....

creating snow drifts of up to 5 feet high.

Which is literally high enough to bury my 11 yr old. STANDING UP! :-)

This is nutz! I tossed out a bunch of salt on the driveway & brought a ton of wood into the garage, and the wife stocked up at the grocery store before coming home tonight. Really, thats about all we can do. Good luck to all who have to deal with this ****!

• We are supposed to get up to 27" of snow here. Gonna be a lot of shoveling. I haven't heard anything about rain or sleet by me, but I haven't heard any updated weather for a few hours so who knows.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in Lincoln, NE about to head back to KC right in the middle of this crap. I just hope I can make it home!
  • The ColonelThe Colonel Posts: 206
    I am supposed to be flying to Cincinnati tomorrow, bringing some good reading with me, and hoping the airport bars are open..
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    jsnake:
    I am in Lincoln, NE about to head back to KC right in the middle of this crap. I just hope I can make it home!
    Be safe. There are some ice spots out. Not may places to get help between Lincoln ad Mound City.
  • bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!! Sure glad i live in Canada :) It's only 4'F right now, and our forecast is only for about 12" of snow. With the wind, it will be nasty, but not nearly as bad as what you BOTL's are describing. Hope the weather guys are wrong...although it sounds like there is little chance of that though. Brace yourself nellie, this is gonna hurt!
    One2gofst:
    We're supposed to get a fair bit in StL. It is freezing rain right now. Roads are fine, but I expect them to get worse into the evening. Ice to start late tonight/early morning followed up by snow throughout tomorrow into Wed. Latest I have heard is, depending on where one is in the metro area, anywhere from .1-.5" ice and anywhere from 4-12" snow. If you get more ice, you'll get less snow and vice versa. Everyone stay safe.
    My Mom and sister live in STL and they said the schools are already letting out. At least in Chicago we are just getting snow, the ice they say you guys are in for would really make things worse.
    kuzi16:
    Alex Svenson:
    tell chris i said thanks. his hospitality was nothing short of fantastic!
    Will do. I am actually going to hold up in Miami tomorrow night and we are having dinner together. I still go to Nica on Wednesday but am just getting the chicago miami leg out of the way tomorrow about 4 hours before the big snow comes.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    -17 in Denver right now, heading to -30 tonight........
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I'm in southwest Ohio so I'm not too convinced of everybody freaking out around here. I'm sure the roads will be a little slick but nothing to go all Chicken Little over. I wish everybody who has to go out in the worst of this storm a safe trip though.
  • R_M_GR_M_G Posts: 41 ✭✭
    I'm in Illinois, we're supposed to be getting 18"-21" on top of an inch of ice... the guy on the news said that wherever you are at 6 pm tomorrow is where you better plan on staying for a day or two... ugh.
    "...and in the evenings the men would be men. We would sit round the fire and share a drink, a smoke and old war stories that oft dealt more with women than war it's self. There were no fathers or sons, bosses nor hands, we were just men sitting round a fire."
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    It just started sleeting in PA about an hour ago. I think we're gonna miss most of the storm for once.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Rough ride to work this morning. A 20 minute drive took over an hour. The bad news is that my dad called me and wants me to pick him up at the Pittsburgh Airport tonight while we are supposed to get another wave of this crap. I pray the flight is cancelled. I'm sure he won't be upset that he'll have to spend another day where it's 75 degrees versus this stuff.