Home Non Cigar Related

Has The World Gone Mad?

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
This has been eating at me for a while but after today I finally need to vent. I am sick and tired of just trying to conduct simple consumer transactions and having to disclose all kinds of personal info. I went to the "the hair curttery" (national haircut chain) for a straight up $15 haircut. I walked in and said I wanted a cut and was asked if I had a client card. I said no. They proceeded to ask for my name, address and phone and said I had to be registered in their system to get my hair cut. WTF? This is a $15 haircut I am paying cash for, not a space shuttle launch. I am the consumer, give me a good or service, I give you currency.... End of story. Same thing happened last week at the sun glass hut when I went to buy a pair of glasses. To get the warranty they wanted my name, address, phone and email. What ever happened to keeping a receipt and that being sufficient for a warranty? And what about the grocery store? Lots of great sales but if you want the sale price you have to have a shopper card which tracks your every dollar spent! I am in direct marketing so I certainly understand the desire to want to know how customers spend their money but how has it gotten to the point where it has become more important to collect personal info vs just processing a damn transaction. CCOM being online we have to get certain billing and shipping info to process a transaction but if I had a store I would not dream of only offering sale items to customers who give me their personal info. If they want to great, if not great. Am I the only person out there that would rather just pay for his 10th cup of coffee to avoid the hastle of dragging around another loyalty card?

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alex, I 100% agree with you on this. I hate having to carry an extra email account to give to these people becuase I don't want the spam as I know they will just sell my information anyway. I carry a home phone number just for the reason also, everyone I know that wants to talk to me calls me on my cell number. Why can't I just pay cash for something and be on my way? Why do I have to spend an extra 10 minutes giving my information for a 2 minute transaction? Seriously, I think that sometimes our technology is designed to make us more lazy, stupid and open to complying to our governments wishes.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    I am the consumer, give me a good or service, I give you currency.... End of story.
    This reminded me of a Mitch Hedberg bit.

Donuts and receipts

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    You hit it dead on! I could care less about loyalty rewards, 10 cents off a tank of gas, e-mail coupons and all that crap they insist will make you independantly wealthy if you sign up. I realize that saving $1.20 on my next fill up at the pump will now allow me to build a castle and send all my relatives to Harvard, but I'd much rather just use good old American greenbacks. But hey, maybe if we collect enough points we COULD get a ride on the next shuttle launch? Maybe, just maybe, then they can have my name, addy, birthday, social security number, blood type, estimated gambling losses for 2002-2007 and my wife's mother's maiden name.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Nobody needs to know my zip code, or e-mail to sell me a screwdriver. I tell them I don't have a computer, and give erroneous zip codes, etc. I've also had to read the "this note is legal tender for all debts..." off the currency. Sheesh!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the most info i will ever give out to a retailer is a zip code. i give fake phone numbers, fake emails, and flat out refuse addresses. there are a few stores that i "cant buy things from" because i dont wanna give up my address. oh well. im a good customer.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Alex Svenson:
    I am the consumer, give me a good or service, I give you currency.... End of story.

Donuts and receipts

I was thinking the same thing. Awesome.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Alex Svenson:

Donuts and receipts

He is my all time fav comedian but he died 4 days before coming to my college to do a show.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Alex Svenson:

Donuts and receipts

Oh man, I haven't thought about that bit in years. Awesome!
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Alex.....I fear it has.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    My friends and I loathe sharing personal info, however we like getting better prices so we do not hesitate signing up for those club cards - but we trade them with each other. The store wants to know our shopping patterns and buying habits. Trading them to friends really throws a curve ball to the sales trends.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    This line of thinking Alex... is why you have a very strong customer following.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    When they ask me for my phone number, I give them my dad's old work number from 20 years ago that somehow I still remember. I don't know what business is there now, but whoever it is, have been getting random sales calls for years now.

"Long ashes my friends."

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I just read somewhere that California made it illegal for merchants to ask for your zip code. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Alex Svenson:
    This has been eating at me for a while but after today I finally need to vent. I am sick and tired of just trying to conduct simple consumer transactions and having to disclose all kinds of personal info. I went to the "the hair curttery" (national haircut chain) for a straight up $15 haircut. I walked in and said I wanted a cut and was asked if I had a client card. I said no. They proceeded to ask for my name, address and phone and said I had to be registered in their system to get my hair cut. WTF? This is a $15 haircut I am paying cash for, not a space shuttle launch. I am the consumer, give me a good or service, I give you currency.... End of story. Same thing happened last week at the sun glass hut when I went to buy a pair of glasses. To get the warranty they wanted my name, address, phone and email. What ever happened to keeping a receipt and that being sufficient for a warranty? And what about the grocery store? Lots of great sales but if you want the sale price you have to have a shopper card which tracks your every dollar spent! I am in direct marketing so I certainly understand the desire to want to know how customers spend their money but how has it gotten to the point where it has become more important to collect personal info vs just processing a damn transaction. CCOM being online we have to get certain billing and shipping info to process a transaction but if I had a store I would not dream of only offering sale items to customers who give me their personal info. If they want to great, if not great. Am I the only person out there that would rather just pay for his 10th cup of coffee to avoid the hastle of dragging around another loyalty card?

The next time , ask for THEIR full legal name ( request a picture id for verification ) , address , home and cell phone numbers . Tell them you never allow anyone to cut your hair that you do not have full contact information for. Tell them you don't sell it but you do have a data base that you use to cross reference bad haircuts from the past because you know how beauticians move to different shops and so forth. Tell them you'll also use it for contact anytime in the next 10 days after said haircut that you don't feel like your hair is behaving the way you would like for it to or in the event you just woke up in a pi_ssy mood ! Then watch the look on THEIR faces !!!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    j0z3r:
    Alex Svenson:

Donuts and receipts

:)
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    ENFIDL:
    j0z3r:
    Alex Svenson:

Donuts and receipts

:)
    "I dont need a reciept for the donut. I just give you the money and you give me the donut. End of transaction. There is no need to bring ink and paper into this." I still laugh thinking about that. And I totally agree with you here Alex. This is why CCom is so far ahead of everyone else. They care about the customer.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Oh, what memories this brings back. I may actually be old enough to remember where this all started. For me, it was about 40 years ago. I bought batteries at Radio Shack and they wanted my phone number. How I long for the day that a number is all they want.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Just happened again. I picked up a 20oz soda and they have an under the cap promo to "win instantly"... not so fast. Under the cap is a code. Now you must to the website and register giving them all your info so you have the wonderful experience of finding out you were not a winner. Come to think of it, even if I was a winner, it wouldnt be very "instant". I will however give props to McDonalds. When they do their instant win stuff it is right on the paper you pull off the cup. We need more stuff like this. If I don an instant win thing with cigars, I think I will print in right on the back of the cigar band.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    There's an idea, Alex... print fortune cookie sayings on the inside of the bands. I've seen cigar descriptions printed inside the bands by Berger & Argenti, but rarely anything else.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Alex Svenson:
    Just happened again. I picked up a 20oz soda and they have an under the cap promo to "win instantly"... not so fast. Under the cap is a code. Now you must to the website and register giving them all your info so you have the wonderful experience of finding out you were not a winner. Come to think of it, even if I was a winner, it wouldnt be very "instant". I will however give props to McDonalds. When they do their instant win stuff it is right on the paper you pull off the cup. We need more stuff like this. If I don an instant win thing with cigars, I think I will print in right on the back of the cigar band.
    Love it. Buy a Blue label, get a free McFlurry! ;)
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    NYHCx516x:
    Alex Svenson:
    Love it. Buy a Blue label, get a free McFlurry! ;)
    Now thats a deal.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    a new haircut place which just opened up also does the same thing, wonder if it's the same chain...some sports-oriented haircut place
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Alex Svenson:

A... HELL NO your not the only one! I have Bitched and i mean Seriously Bitched several times at these places, i have had to close a couple of email accounts I have had since the interenet Started just because my Info slowley started getting bought or sold or leaked to every tom *** and F-U-C-K-I-n-g Harry out there.
    if we all carried all the loyalty cards etc that we HAD to Carry to get a GOOD DEAL we would all be carrying PURSES!.... IT IS UTTER BULLS-H-I-T......... On another note, I have not bought ONE cigar from any place on Line but CCOM......... and i have been getting Cigar Magazines from everyone under the sun out ther that sells cigars WTF.......... Im just saying they ALL go in the TRASH but CCOM.
    buying some land in the Redwoods on the St. Andreas Fault Overlooking the Pacific Ocean Near Occidental California... going to build a Rocio Romero Home... all solar... completey wireless Off the gird no GPS BS and wait for the APocolypse..... or the Big Slide into the OCean Which ever comes first! F-U-C-K our government and this WAL MART SOCIETY!......
    ahhhhhhh thanks ALex just the venting I needed today! I think ill go smoke a nice Diesel UC to Celebrate !
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    oh yeah and i quit getting my haircut 2 years ago... LOL SO they can have that too! ROTFLMAO!
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I went to get a hair cut a few weeks ago, and they asked for my phone number. I kind of made a face and asked them why. The girl gave some non committal answer I can't even remember. I gave her some random number I thought of off the top of my head. Then she asked me to repeat the last four numbers. I told her I couldn't remember since I just made it up, so put in whatever she likes. Then she kind of made a face. It was a really stupid conversation.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    This is why I just let my wife cut my hair in our bathroom. It's quicker, easier, cheaper and she already knows my phone number
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    This is why I just let my wife cut my hair in our bathroom. It's quicker, easier, cheaper and she already knows my phone number
    LMFAO
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    skweekz:
    +1, haven't paid for a haircut in years
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    Big Brother aint just watching anymore.... he wants your email addy so he can sell it to EVERYONE! Damn you Al Gore for inventing the internet... DAMN YOU... HA Ha ha!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    JimmyC:
    Damn you Al Gore for inventing the internet... DAMN YOU... HA Ha ha!
    LMAO!