Home Non Cigar Related

Headed Home?

DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
OK

My son is going back to the hospital, for the third time since he was released after his birth (3 weeks after). He should only be there for a week, until his CF test. There is a slim chance that I may be headed home to help the wife deal with everything. I am hoping not to have to return home on a note like this. With a total of five kids, 1 set preemie twins, 1 18 month old, an 8 year old, and an 11 year old, life is difficult with both two parents helping each other. I can only imagine what she is going through having to do it all alone (we do have family around to help, but the live over an hour away, so it is limited). It is not easy on this end either, when I get the message to call my wife now, God only knows what it is in reference to. Did the 11 year old mess up at school or is she rushing one of the kids to the hospital? With the strain on my family, it might be best if I go home. The reason I say this is; if you’ve sent me (the DCCC) something it will get rerouted to my stateside address and I will reship it back to you or back over here, whatever you want. If you are planning on sending me (the DCCC) something, wait for a day or two and I will update this thread as much as possible. Thanks... rc

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Dude. Get you ass back to your family. You've done your duty.
    see you in the states
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    RC, as a vet who has been there I can tell you this - your first duty is to your family. And I know you already know that, but sometimes it helps to hear it from others. Take care of your family, the war on terror will take care of itself. Besides, we both know this probably isnt going to be your last turn in theater.

The timing on this is precious - I just PM'd you to know I shipped the box of cutters I pledged to the DCCC today. LOL NO BIG DEAL! If you do end up going home (and I will be praying you do) and the package gets re-routed to you stateside, take out anything you like, box up the rest and ship it off to whoever takes over as NCOIC, DCCC. :-)

And if there's anything we can do to help out you or the family until you get back, just say so. Im not sure where "home" is when you're not in the sandbox???

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    CF test - PM to you Brother.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Hope all goes well with your family. It sounds like you have your priorities right where they should be.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you, my friend. I know how stressful it can be flying back and forth, much less with a family involved.
    Light 'em up.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    My prayers are with you and your family RC.
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Agreed! You should go home if you can, family first.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    The Sniper:
    And if there's anything we can do to help out you or the family until you get back, just say so. Im not sure where "home" is when you're not in the sandbox???

I live in Euharlee, essentially next door to Krieg.
    I appreciate the well wishes and prayers. They are always useful to my family. They unit is not sure if they are going to, and if they are, when, release me. We are trying. To find a program for financial assistance through the military to get a night nurse to help her until I get there. No word on anything yet though. Thanks for the thoughts.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Hopefully they ship you out soon. If anything pops up with my Marines, they are on a plane the very same day! Being a family man, I take those issues very seriously. If a man is worried about his family, he should be home taking care of things. We can hold down the fort. Your wife has a tough job raising those kids solo! Get home brother, we'll be behind you soon enough.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Prayers for you bro. Take care of your family
    OK, so after long talks with the wife and the command here a decision has been made: I am going home for ten days to be with my wife for the results of the CF test and to have the blood test done incase the sweat chloride test is inconclusive. I wanted to lessen the time gone so I'd have more time to look for a job and still get paid when I get home for good. Hopefully this will be the last time I am needed at home for 8 months. I will be back to my unit the first week of April. Hopefully when I get back I will be able to get out in town finally and meet up with Jcizzle for the International HERF. I wish you all the best and as of Wed. I might not be on here too often, so I'll see you when I get back. Take care and Smok 'em if you got 'em!
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you brother.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Family comes first..do ya thing bro! Prayers are with you and your family.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Family first, bro. My prayers and thoughts are with you. When I was a Big Red One, the motto was "Duty First"; when they made me a recruiter I thought I'd finally get some home time, (you know that ain't so), As my son entered the 8th grade, showing a few discipline problems, I realized that no matter how much I loved the Army, no matter how many years invested, I couldn't continue to spend 9 months a year out of touch. Sounds like you've got a good command, that's in your favor. I won't go into CF, except to say that I've seen some patients that have proved all the books wrong, in a good way. Good luck to you. Words are inadequate...but they're all we've got right now.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Good luck with your son. Our thoughts are with you.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Hope everything works out ok. If there's anything you guys need, don't hesitate to ask!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I work at a children's hospital with one of the best cf programs in the country. Let me knowif you need anything...a referral to a doc here or to a center closer to your house (no idea where your family is). Good luck, brother.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Travel safe RC, and please keep us updated. Prayers for you & your family brother.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Sorry to hear this bro. You and your fam will be in my prayers!
    OK, so yesterday was the sweat test. It went as expected, read: it didn't work. My daughter sweated just enough. My son however, didn't sweat at all. I was prepaired for this, now I am just mad because the insurance doesnt want to pay for the test on me and my wife. If they did we would know if it was even a possibility and whether or not we needed to test them again. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but dont want him to have to go through it again if I can help it. Anyways, just a quick update. Hopefully we get the results from her test today so that we know her status and he goes back on Thursday for round two. Thanks for all the well wishing and prayers. The only plus to me being home so far was the fact that my wife has found a cigar she wants me to buy a couple of boxes of and it is the Cain Nub F, one of my new favorites!
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Glad you made it home brother. Hope everything works out with the family!
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Continued prayers for you and your family.
    DSWarmack:
    OK, so yesterday was the sweat test. It went as expected, read: it didn't work. My daughter sweated just enough. My son however, didn't sweat at all. I was prepaired for this, now I am just mad because the insurance doesnt want to pay for the test on me and my wife. If they did we would know if it was even a possibility and whether or not we needed to test them again. It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but dont want him to have to go through it again if I can help it. Anyways, just a quick update. Hopefully we get the results from her test today so that we know her status and he goes back on Thursday for round two. Thanks for all the well wishing and prayers. The only plus to me being home so far was the fact that my wife has found a cigar she wants me to buy a couple of boxes of and it is the Cain Nub F, one of my new favorites!
    Good luck man. Sounds like you guys are doing as much as you can to drive the process, so keep on doing what you're doing.

Another PM to you.
    OK, so after getting multiple PM's I figured I'd shed some light on the whole subject.

First, thanks so much for all of your heartfelt concern (not to be confused with the beads) and prayers, they are/were/will be much appreciated. While I was home they tested both my son (Ryan) and daughter (Seren (pronounced like the gas)) using the sweat chloride test.

Seren sweat enough to test on the second test (and was cleared two days later Yeaaah!). Ryan went through the test four times and never sweat enough. My wife and I made the decision not to put him through it again. I called the insurance and told them that there would be no more testing done on my children.

My pediatrician told me the blood test was very hard on preemie babies of their size because of the amount of blood they have to take. I have been asked to leave the room when my kids get shots/have blood taken, because I've told a nurse that I wanted to hit something while she was taking blood from my middle daughter. So I figured I didn't want them taking this much blood.

This week my wife is getting her blood tested. If she is a carrier then I will get mine tested from over here. Like I have been asking them to do for MONTHS!

I am currently back with my unit in Qatar. While I'd much rather be home with my family, I am needed here more (also by my family (if that makes sense)). So, back to the grind. Day after tomorrow DCCC meets and I can't wait, had some issues with unauthorized smoking of the DCCC cigars while I was gone, so the humi was moved to my room. Anyways, thanks again for all the concern and prayers, the whole Warmack Family thanks you (RC, Amanda, Hannah, Hayley, Analeigh, Seren, and last but not least RC Jr.)
    A small restocking package is already on the way.
    beatnic:
    A small restocking package is already on the way.

Not necessary, but welcomed and appreciated just the same!
    Got the test results a day or so ago, and my wife forgot to tell me about it till now... So you all know the story behind the sweat test, and what a pain in the a$$ that was. It never returned a conclusive result so they had to test his stool. Both of them have been cleared by the top medical facility in Atlanta that deals with this (Children's Cystic Fibrosis Center). I am relieved, but weirdly cant let it go. If I ever have the money, I am going to open a center that will help people deal with the fear of having a child with different abilities or certain diseases. God only knows, if the parents can't cope with it the children never will.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, and a special thanks to Boyd who helped me out, more than he will ever know,on this scary investigation into the health of my children.

Good news. Happy Easter. As for coping, your kids will do much better than you.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Very glad to hear the good news! If there is any more scary than being worried about your kids I don't know what it is. I'll continue to keep your family and my thoughts and prayers and I hope you can be home with them soon.
    DSWarmack:
    Got the test results a day or so ago, and my wife forgot to tell me about it till now... So you all know the story behind the sweat test, and what a pain in the a$$ that was. It never returned a conclusive result so they had to test his stool. Both of them have been cleared by the top medical facility in Atlanta that deals with this (Children's Cystic Fibrosis Center). I am relieved, but weirdly cant let it go. If I ever have the money, I am going to open a center that will help people deal with the fear of having a child with different abilities or certain diseases. God only knows, if the parents can't cope with it the children never will.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, and a special thanks to Boyd who helped me out, more than he will ever know,on this scary investigation into the health of my children.

That is awesome news Ryan. I was just thinking of you guys today, wondering if you'd heard yet. Your very welcome man. I'm just glad I was able to help out a little with something that I've become way too familiar with over the last few years.

Dude, I'm so happy for you guys right now. If you have the time, take some time for yourself with an awesome smoke and just chill, relax and reflect when you get the chance. Its been a hectic few months so you've earned it.