Home Non Cigar Related

What to drink while smoking a cigar??

Just curious as to what most of you drink while smoking??

I really am not a liquor kind of guy. I mostly just drink beer. I am just not sure what goes with cigars yet. I am too new,lol. I drink alot of different kinds of beer, but mostly Blue Moon or Shock Top, Yeungling , Bud or Bud Light when I want something a bit lighter.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    more often than not: water.

after that, coke, beer, tea, and every now and then, milk.

as far as beer goes: if you can see through it, i probably wont call it beer.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I don't drink alcohol, so I stay away from liquor or beer or wine. A lot of the time, I drink nothing with a good cigar. I think some cigars are best smoked alone. It may be I like their taste better than most drinks, and would rather have a nice long finish from the cigar. At times I do enjoy good coffee with a cigar. First Ghurka Legend I smoked, I was drinking an Almond Latte with 3 shots of espresso, was a fine pair. More often than not, whatever it is I'm drinking takes a back seat to the cigar at hand.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've mentioned this before, but I almost exclusively drink ice water when I smoke a cigar. When it's not that then it is usually iced tea. I'm not so big a beer + cigar fan, the two just don't mix well to my tastes, besides which I'm not much of a drinker anyhow. Often times if a cigar is really good, my water will just sit untouched because I don't want to wash away the finish....this happens most often with La Aurora 1495 and Padron cigars.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    My top 3, in order: nothing, water, coffee.
  • capsfanxcapsfanx Posts: 29
    thanks for the replies. I was curious if there was anything out there you guys drank that just paired nicely with a cigar. I wanted to make sure I was not missing out on anything,lol. Because I really do not like liquor or wine. I do drink beer and have had beer with and without cigars so far, either is fine with me.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    In this order. Bourbon, Water, Beer, Tea.

I have to drink something with a cigar or I end up spitting a lot.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Cognac, Scotch, Bourbon, Rum, Sweet Tea, Water, occasional Coffee and once Port. All have been good but Cognac, Rum and Scotch are my favorites. For non-alcoholic: Arizona Southern Style Sweet Tea. I'm not much of a beer person.
  • I ususally have soda, water or coffee. If I'm at home or over a friends house, I'll have beer.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Cognac, especially with Gurkha Grand Reserve or Royal reserve, but usually I try to drink Dr. Pepper or water.
    madurofan:
    In this order. Bourbon, Water, Beer, Tea.

I have to drink something with a cigar or I end up spitting a lot.
    I just spit a lot.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    nice cup of freshly roasted coffee from freshly roasted beans usually Sumatra or Tanzania beans MMMM

In the summer while sitting outside on the patio enjoying a cigar, that would be Grand Marnier.
    Who do you get your freshly-roasted beans from, doogie? Several guys at work have them shipped from Peet's.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I like iced tea, unsweetened or lightly sweetened, water or red wine. One time I smoked a cigar (I don't remember what cigar it was) with some apple cidar and it was incredible. The two of them complemented each other very nicely.
    urbino:
    Who do you get your freshly-roasted beans from, doogie? Several guys at work have them shipped from Peet's.

I get my beans from a fellow in Arizona his company name is rinconmountainroasters and I purchase them from him off E-bay. If you type in that name in the advanced search for seller name... you should find his page. Very good product and fair prices as well.
    Does a lot of fair trade beans. These are GREEN beans which need to be roasted to your prefference.
    It is a little costly for me to ship them from there to Canada but he ships FREE in the US !!!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    coffey, rum, bourbon , starbucks white chocolate mocha .... oohhh yeaa
    laker1963:
    urbino:

I get my beans from a fellow in Arizona his company name is rinconmountainroasters and I purchase them from him off E-bay. If you type in that name in the advanced search for seller name... you should find his page. Very good product and fair prices as well.
    Does a lot of fair trade beans. These are GREEN beans which need to be roasted to your prefference.
    It is a little costly for me to ship them from there to Canada but he ships FREE in the US !!!
    Cool. I might give them a try. There's a company here in Memphis that fresh-roasts, too -- Ugly Mug Coffee. They put out a good product.

Speaking of green beans, have you ever had Indian Malabar coffee?
  • Typically water or coke. If I'm at a bar or feel like drinking I'll often have it with dark beers. Many are local or microbrews, but for stuff that isn't, Youngs chocolate stout, Guiness, Smithwicks, Sam Adams Boston Lager. Or Rum and coke (see my avatar)
    urbino:
    laker1963:
    urbino:

Cool. I might give them a try. There's a company here in Memphis that fresh-roasts, too -- Ugly Mug Coffee. They put out a good product.

Speaking of green beans, have you ever had Indian Malabar coffee?
    Nope, but now I have yet another thing to look into. My wife thanks you Urbi LMAO
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    a friend i used to work with back in the day used to ho here:
    http://www.bocajava.com/
    How do you like your coffee beans roasted light, med. or dark? I am waiting for a new order of beans to arrive (hopefully today!!!), let me know how you like them roasted and I will send you out a trial of the Sumatra Mandheling. This one is my favorite.

I already have sent out the package of sticks but let me know your roast preferrence and I will fire out some killer beans to you Urb's.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

laker1963:
    How do you like your coffee beans roasted light, med. or dark? I am waiting for a new order of beans to arrive (hopefully today!!!), let me know how you like them roasted and I will send you out a trial of the Sumatra Mandheling. This one is my favorite.

I already have sent out the package of sticks but let me know your roast preferrence and I will fire out some killer beans to you Urb's.

Do you use a French Press when you make the coffee?

I do. Aside from the coffee tasting better, it's actually a much, MUCH easier cleanup than a coffee machine.
    laker1963:

No, no. That's not necessary. I'm not enough of a coffee connoisseur for it to be worth the postage; that Indian Malabar was just a one-time flyer on something exotic. Thanks, though. I'm a medium-roast man. My stand-by these days is Starbucks' Guatemala-Antigua blend.
    dep691:

laker1963:

Do you use a French Press when you make the coffee?

Yes, a French press is the only way to go IMO. I love roasting the beans myself as I can finish them at exactly the time I prefer rather then buying someone elses idea of the "perfect" roast for a particular bean.
    urbino:
    I do. Aside from the coffee tasting better, it's actually a much, MUCH easier cleanup than a coffee machine.
    laker1963:

No, no. That's not necessary. I'm not enough of a coffee connoisseur for it to be worth the postage; that Indian Malabar was just a one-time flyer on something exotic. Thanks, though. I'm a medium-roast man. My stand-by these days is Starbucks' Guatemala-Antigua blend.

Did you say Starbucks ??? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !! They get some nice blends there but ever time I buy a coffee at SB it taste the same, BURNT form over roasting. Roasting yourself is the way to go if you like really good coffee.
    Funny thing is I only drink it as a rule in the morning...2 cups (large mugs) and then switch to tea for the rest of the day/night. Occasionally we will brew a pot if company is over in the evening or something.
    I just really like excellent coffee, and I'm a little OCD :)
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    a friend i used to work with back in the day used to ho here:
    http://www.bocajava.com/

This site is only for already roasted beans Kuzi? The beans I buy are green (un roasted) and I roast them at home.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey laker, I know what you mean about the burnt taste in the Starbucks coffee, but I like that extra roasted taste, and I would guess a lot of people do as well. You never have to travel too far to find one.
    kaspera79:
    Hey laker, I know what you mean about the burnt taste in the Starbucks coffee, but I like that extra roasted taste, and I would guess a lot of people do as well. You never have to travel too far to find one.

Yeah, a lot of people have accepted SB as the standard for "chic" coffee. I prefer to roast beans differently depending on where the bean comes from. Just experimenting with small batch runs with each different new bean I try let's me customize the roast that I prefer for that particular bean.
    Some beans are at their very best as a dark roast. There are different ways of achieving a dark roast and some can do it without developing that burnt taste. The flavor is still there but that burnt element is gone. It normally involves longer roast times and lower temperatures at very particular times within the roasting cycle. If the beans are allwoed to get too hot during the roast cycle they can burn in a matter of a few seconds.
    Careful attention to times and temps as well as what beans you are working with can result in some really spectacular coffee.
    Do you guys have "Serious Coffee" outlets in the US that you know of? They make some pretty decent coffee and also offer some roast bean sales albeit very over priced.
    laker1963:
    Did you say Starbucks ??? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !! They get some nice blends there but ever time I buy a coffee at SB it taste the same, BURNT form over roasting.
    We must have been separated at birth, doogie. I've always said *exactly* the same thing about Starbucks coffee. Then I was in there one day because . . . well, it was there . . . and one of the baristas was making himself a pot of Guatemala-Antigua in a French press. He offered me some, and doggone it, it was actually very good.

I don't think they ever make it in the stores. I've never seen it on the menu, anyway. Unfortunately, they don't sell the beans in a decaf version, so I have to buy House Blend beans for when I want decaf. It's less burnt than their other stuff.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    eve r tried the white chocolate mocha-
    urbino:
    laker1963:
    Did you say Starbucks ??? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW !! They get some nice blends there but ever time I buy a coffee at SB it taste the same, BURNT form over roasting.
    We must have been separated at birth, doogie. I've always said *exactly* the same thing about Starbucks coffee. Then I was in there one day because . . . well, it was there . . . and one of the baristas was making himself a pot of Guatemala-Antigua in a French press. He offered me some, and doggone it, it was actually very good.

I don't think they ever make it in the stores. I've never seen it on the menu, anyway. Unfortunately, they don't sell the beans in a decaf version, so I have to buy House Blend beans for when I want decaf. It's less burnt than their other stuff.

So what you're saying is the best cup of coffee you ever had at SB wasn't SB coffee? LOL