Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    urbino:
    aaronjm:
    So the other night I lit up a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic (black label) Robusto. I was expecting a really good experience out of this one seeing that it's gotten rave reviews. I am new to the hobby of cigars and am still developing my own taste. But when I lit that thing up, it smelled like a drugstore cigar. And tasted like one too. Dry and bitter. I have put my humidor (now tupperdor) through the ringer with the RH levels dipping into the upper 50s for about a month and a half. But they've been keeping at 73 for about 3 weeks now. I don't think it was dried out, seeing that the wrapper was perfect and it had a little give when I squeezed it. What do y'all think could account for the flavor?
    Six weeks in the upper 50s, followed by 3 weeks in the 70s could alter the character of a cigar, I think. Try one straight from a local B&M, if possible, and see if it tastes different. Regardless, the main thing you want to do is get your storage stabilized at a reasonable humidity.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Sound advice from Urbie. I had trouble gettin my humi stable when I broke it in - and that made my smokes a bit more bitter and some were bursting at the seams... Mine was in the other direction - it was raining inside. I eventually went with the Heartfelt beads. The other thing, which you probably know, is slow down.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    I'll be damned. It's actually called the Don Carlos Robusto. I thought they were all numbered.

The #3 is what I usually smoke, and love.
    Yeah, I kinda figured you knew the difference between the #3 and a robusto, since I know you are a fan of the #3. Damn good cigar too.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, it really is. I'll tell you what, though, that robusto may have been better. I think I'll have to go out and have a #3 today, so I can compare while the robusto is still fresh in my memory.

Update: No can do. Too windy, dammit.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Yeah, it really is. I'll tell you what, though, that robusto may have been better. I think I'll have to go out and have a #3 today, so I can compare while the robusto is still fresh in my memory.

Update: No can do. Too windy, dammit.

500 miles north and I couldn't keep the grill going. I had to bring the steaks in...
  • Options
    Yikes.

It's still windy here, but it shifted directions enough that I could sit on the patio and light one up. The Don Carlos #3, it was. The robusto might be a bit better, but I'd be hard pressed to give either up for the other. Further experimentation is clearly called for. :)
  • Options
    And to add more substance to the experiment, there should be a concurrent study of both vitolas. And to keep a good base to go from, you should send my portion of the study so that we are not potentially getting cigars from different batches that could taint the results of the study. :)

Earlier today was a La Cuna bin # 85 habano toro that was received from my friend and yours, urbino. I really liked this one and am looking forward to having one when it is not so damn windy out. I tried to have a Perdomo Lot 23 a little while ago, but the wind sent me running back inside double quick.
  • Options
    And to add a solid foundation to that substance, a third leg so to speak... and of course from the same batch as not to be tainted... This thing could stand...

Crazy three cigar day... Padron 6000 (really love that cigar) with some java this morning. Mid afternoon - Olivia's sol cubana cabinet - and tonight I am smoking the Vegas cask strength 2. I read some poor reviews about the 2 - unlike #1. The Vegas started out pretty spicy, which works for me, but now that has subsided to a more creamy smoke. Guess I will see how it finishes up... At this moment I would rank them "today" in the same order as I smoked 'em.

It's just mind over matter - if you don't have mind it don't matter
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had a Fuente Sun Grown Belicosa today. Much better now that it been aged for about 3 months. I found the perfect drink to go with this cigar. A McDonalds Chocolate Shake. Mmm Mmm Good!
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    smoked a 5 vegas classic torpedo that i got from my first box purchase. just as good as i remember. i think this will be my daily smoke.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I just smoked a Java corona. This is my first Java and I thought it was really good. Just enough mocha taste to keep it interesting but not overdoing it.
  • Options
    I had a Gurkha Fuerte. It was very good. Surprisingly good, actually. Other than the Centurian, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the Gurkha experience. This one, though, is really good.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Sancho Panza that I received from Urbi. This is the first Sancho I have had and what a pleasant surprise. I've read here that it is one of Kuzi's favorites, and now I know why. Smooth, great taste, outstanding construction and burn. This one is a winner!
  • Options
    urbino:
    I had a Gurkha Fuerte. It was very good. Surprisingly good, actually. Other than the Centurian, I've been pretty underwhelmed by the Gurkha experience. This one, though, is really good.
    I so want to try those. Sometime soon, when I can fit more cigars I'll get some.

Had a Nub Cameroon tonight. Not a torpedo. Still good though.
  • Options
    Today was a good cigar day. I started off early with a Camacho 1962 torpedo, it was good but I think I'd like it in a smaller size, the torpedo seemed a bit much. A bit later was a Nub Connecticut torpedo courtesy of TFH, good cigar despite the wind working against me constantly. To end the day, albeit a bit early as it was only mid-afternoon, was a Padron 3000 habano, nothing I can say about this one that I haven't already.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I had a DPG and a Punch Champion this weekend. I love that little champion. $4 for a nice fat perfecto.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Had a Gran Habano VL this am on my way to work. What a great stick with a cup o Joe
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    This afternoon I will be firing up a Tatuaje Miami 2006 Cojonu sent to me in a BOMB by Dep691
    I am looking forward to this one for sure. I will report back later on it.
    such a nice looking and smelling stick. A 6.5 inch 52 gauge Torpedo.
    I am really starting to enjoy some of these larger gauge cigars when they are torpedos... I can custom size the tip to my liking. Thanks again Dep.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Lucky ***.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

laker1963:
    This afternoon I will be firing up a Tatuaje Miami 2006 Cojonu sent to me in a BOMB by Dep691
    I am looking forward to this one for sure. I will report back later on it.
    such a nice looking and smelling stick. A 6.5 inch 52 gauge Torpedo.
    I am really starting to enjoy some of these larger gauge cigars when they are torpedos... I can custom size the tip to my liking. Thanks again Dep.

Hope you enjoy it. Think I will have the same as you when I get home. By the way, torpedos are becoming my favorite also,

• Options
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    I so want to try those. Sometime soon, when I can fit more cigars I'll get some.
    Mine was courtesy of some good soul hereabouts. I've gone off the tracks, again, regarding labeling stuff I get in trades, PIFs, etc., so I'm not sure who. Feebs, was that you?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Today was a Sancho Panza that I received from Urbi. This is the first Sancho I have had and what a pleasant surprise. I've read here that it is one of Kuzi's favorites, and now I know why. Smooth, great taste, outstanding construction and burn. This one is a winner!
    Glad you liked that one, kas. They're a bargain. The ones I sent you are, I think, the La Mancha size.
  • Options
    Tonight was a Padilla Miami torpedo. This was a very tasty cigar, enough so that I braved the cold and wet and saw this one through to nearly the end. And thus continues my appreciation of Padilla cigars, I haven't had a bad one yet, in fact they've all been quite good.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Smoked my first Drew Estate, it ended up being a Java, I think a Latte or whatever the box pressed 5 incher is. Pretty good, very creamy, the sweetened cap surprised me a bit, I didn't know that they actually had sweetened caps on the Java. Definitely getting a few more of those.
  • Options
    I smoked a Verdadero last night. Such a different smoke. Not mild though.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jave-corona latte
  • Options
    Tonight was a Don Pepin Cuban Classic robusto, it was a pretty good smoke. I don't really remember the first Cuban Classic I had as I had had a few too many beers, but I recall liking it and was looking forward to revisiting it. I think I'm officially a Don Pepin fan, the man has a golden touch.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    Mine was courtesy of some good soul hereabouts. I've gone off the tracks, again, regarding labeling stuff I get in trades, PIFs, etc., so I'm not sure who. Feebs, was that you?
    I sent ya a LXIII Grand Reserve my friend, maybe Kuzi...?

I had a DE Java yesterday, Man I don't know what it is, perhaps my tastes have changed but I just didn't like it. Way too sweet, wasn't a fan.
  • Options
    I smoked a Anejo Shark tonight. Was not really happy with it at all. It kept going out and I had to keep correcting the burn. Also, the taste was just OK. I like the torpedo better.

Speaking of Anejos, I went to a local B&M today in the next town. Really small place. More of a convenience store with a small walk in humidor. I went in looking for Anejos. They had the #50's and either the #48 or #49, I didn't look at the box. I got the 55's for $14.95 each and the others for $18.95. I bought 4 55' and 2 of the others. The guy was telling me that he had a box of the #77s but they sold out in less than a week and I had just missed them. Since I am not that happy with them, I'm cool with not being able to get a few. I have two more from my last purchase that I will age and see if they get better. I read somewhere that this years inventory is not as good as last years. Anyways, the guy asked me what I would pay online and he was amazed. He said that he doesn't discount. That is what he sells them for. He also had the Hemingway Maduro Classics for $14.95. Since I have some already I didn't get any.
  • Options
    Helluva convenience store.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I sent ya a LXIII Grand Reserve my friend, maybe Kuzi...?
    I remember that one. Just thought you might have sent me this one, too. Hm. Bass, maybe?

Nothing for me tonight. I seem to be coming down with the flu.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I had an Oliva serie V lancero earlier tonight. it was a very pleasant smoke that was a different experience from the larger ring Vs. Didn't pack the punch of the others, yet had most of the delicious flavors.

I am finishing up tonight with a RP Fusion MM that was supplied by Jet in a trade. First time with this cigar and is quite pleasant. Nice maduro flavors without a single burn issue. I appreciate the smoke Vinny.