Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    urbino:
    How high is "much higher"? I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you want to take them out of a 60-65 environment and drop them in a 70-75 environment. Too much risk of splitting the wrapper. I'd put them in something in the 65-70 range.
    Yeah, that is where I moved them but I usually open that humidor every day to drop the level a little bit. For some reason the hotter my house gets, the higher the humidity level for some of my humidors while the others have the opposite reaction. My new BIG humidor is one that is running around 75% and that is where I moved them. All my others are around 65% Oh and the cigars are in cellophane so hopefully that will minimize the impact of the higher humidity.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    How high is "much higher"? I'm no expert on this, but I don't think you want to take them out of a 60-65 environment and drop them in a 70-75 environment. Too much risk of splitting the wrapper. I'd put them in something in the 65-70 range.
    Yeah, that is where I moved them but I usually open that humidor every day to drop the level a little bit. For some reason the hotter my house gets, the higher the humidity level for some of my humidors while the others have the opposite reaction. My new BIG humidor is one that is running around 75% and that is where I moved them. All my others are around 65% Oh and the cigars are in cellophane so hopefully that will minimize the impact of the higher humidity.
    Whats your humidifcation source in the new big humi?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    I have two of those rectangular devices that came with it and I have a jar of the gell at the bottom. This humi is packed. I don't think I would even be able to fit a single 1495 1994 in there.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    I have two of those rectangular devices that came with it and I have a jar of the gell at the bottom. This humi is packed. I don't think I would even be able to fit a single 1495 1994 in there.
    Hmm ... How big is this humi?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    This is the one I have. It's got the whole box of 50 of the Grand Age, the whole box of 33 of the Warlord, plus a couple more of each that I bought months ago, 7 Shaggys, about 15 Grand Age Perfectos, two Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas in the glass tubes, 4 Master Selects 6 X 60, 10 Nepalese Warriors, A bunch of Royal Brigades, a few 100 Anos, and more but I can't picture then in my head at the moment. I think the total was 146 when I counted.

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-EVHUM6-250
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    This is the one I have. It's got the whole box of 50 of the Grand Age, the whole box of 33 of the Warlord, plus a couple more of each that I bought months ago, 7 Shaggys, about 15 Grand Age Perfectos, two Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas in the glass tubes, 4 Master Selects 6 X 60, 10 Nepalese Warriors, A bunch of Royal Brigades, a few 100 Anos, and more but I can't picture then in my head at the moment. I think the total was 146 when I counted.

Very nice. So you're close to the 2/3's rule for passive humidification. Are you using a digital hygro? If so have you calibrated it?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:

Very nice. So you're close to the 2/3's rule for passive humidification. Are you using a digital hygro? If so have you calibrated it?
    Digital but have not calibrated it. It specifically says on the box to NOT do the salt test. I don't know why but I didn't want to take the chance. All of mine have digital and a few also have analog.
  • Options
    Yea they all say do not salt test. The salt can corrode the circuitry. Do it anyways, or buy a calibration kit from Boveda.

I'd start there but I'd also buy either a Cigar Oasis or a whole bunch of beads. The sponges and gels just aren't going to cut it in a humi that big.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Yea they all say do not salt test. The salt can corrode the circuitry. Do it anyways, or buy a calibration kit from Boveda.

I'd start there but I'd also buy either a Cigar Oasis or a whole bunch of beads. The sponges and gels just aren't going to cut it in a humi that big.
    This humidor is not under but over. It's around 75%. I usually open it for a little while every day to let the excess humidity escape. Maybe I'll get some beads and swap them the gel out.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:

This humidor is not under but over. It's around 75%. I usually open it for a little while every day to let the excess humidity escape. Maybe I'll get some beads and swap them the gel out.
    OH I thought this one was the one that was under. If its over than you need to get beads throw them in the humi uncharged.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:

OH I thought this one was the one that was under. If its over than you need to get beads throw them in the humi uncharged.
    My smoking humidor is the one that is around 65. I'm gonna bring it up a little bit maybe to around 68 if possible.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I for some reason can't get mine stay @ 65, but it fluxes to about 68.. Which is fine by me.. =)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Today was a Padron 3000 habano. Love that cigar.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    phobicsquirrel:
    I for some reason can't get mine stay @ 65, but it fluxes to about 68.. Which is fine by me.. =)
    That's where I keep mine, too: 65-68. Both the humi and the cooler.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    RP old world reserve... Pretty creamy - but pretty blah.... Hope it changes soon.
  • Options
    Finally got to smoke the ghost cigar. The El Truinfador by Pete Johnson maker of Tatuaje. It was pretty damn tasty for a cigar that doesn't exist.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Finally got to smoke the ghost cigar. The El Truinfador by Pete Johnson maker of Tatuaje.
    ....and how was it ?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    Finally got to smoke the ghost cigar. The El Truinfador by Pete Johnson maker of Tatuaje.
    ....and how was it ?
    I liked it the draw was a little tight, typical for a lancero had just enough spice for me to thoroughly enjoy it. It had a lot of floral notes. I wish I could get more.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    today i smoked a Gurkha Master Select. It was a good mild/medium smoke with a round earth kinda leather thing goin on. a bit of pepper near the end.

• Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    smoked a DPG Cuban Classic Robusto tonight. What a spicy start with good rich toastiness to it. Loved it as usual.
  • Options
    Smoked a RP 1990 Torpedo last night. I just ordered a 10 pack of the 92 Toros. I remember I liked the 92 better. Might smoke a Beast tonight. Not sure yet. I've had a few aging since May.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    just polished off a fuente hemingway and i must say, what a fabulous smoke it was the first one i have had and WOW :D, at one point it did go out must have been smokin it slow but after i relit it, the draw seemed better and the delicious flavors filled my mouth. towards the end it did become spicy, no surprise, but as i go closer to the end, a new flavor hit my palate i couldnt place, has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    My first real cigar was a fuente hemingway and I remember liking it. I don't remember any burn issues or anything. Though one thing is that some cigars burn slower than others as I usually try to wait a minute or so between puffing but some cigars will burn out before then so sometimes you have to just go with what the cigar is doing. I think (and I'm sure kuzi or someone will correct me) it is due to a tight fill. Not enough O2 can get in there. At any rate glad you enjoyed it, Fuente makes some really good cigars.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have gained an appreciation for different fuente's this year -Anejos,Hemingway ,for sure
  • Options
    that would make sense as the draw was a little tight until about 3/4 the way through but it was oh so tasty :D when I first started smoking, I only smoked fuentes but I could not tell you what specific fuentes :O i didnt know what I was doing!!!! Ah but they are wonderful
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Just finished a Romeo y Julieta Viejo. This was a very tasty smoke. Draw was a little tight but nothing a bailing wire couldnt fix.
  • Options
    weird i experienced the exact opposite the last viejo i had, which is actually in my pic
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Started the day off with a Cusano Exclusivo diadema, a very nice smoke and a good way to start the day, thanks to urby for this one. Later on was a 601 habano, that would be the red label, I really liked the flavors of this one, but the wrapper gave me more trouble with splits, cracks and unraveling than I have ever experienced from a single cigar. To bring a somewhat understated end to the day, I had a Fuente Añejo reserva 48, I'm not a huge fan of churchills and this one was no exception, to be short, it was boring. I think I might enjoy the Añejo in a different size, but I was a bit disappointed with this one.
  • Options
    Went up to the shop and took a few with me. I've got to deplete the stock I have at home and they've been telling me for a while to bring some of my own up there, they have no issue with it bc they know most of them came from there. Anyway I started with an Ashton Aged Maduro, the last of the ones that Laker sent me. Then had a Cuvee Rouge that was given to me in the pass. I love that cigar. I never taste exotic things in a cigar you guys know this but though the nose I swear you can taste a little Red Wine. I also puffed on the pipe between. All and all a good day.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had a Cusano 18 maduro, in the robusto size. This is another one somebody here sent me, but I failed to label. I liked it very much; probably better than the Connecticut, which is saying something. It just had a wonderfully round sweetness that was very pleasing.

Glad you liked the Exclusivo, j0z3r. I haven't tried those yet.