Home Non Cigar Related

.....the ever-shifting war on tobacco.

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
They actually printed that, "war on tobacco".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/31/health/31hookah.html?_r=2&hpw

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    $20 says that a lot of the same college kids who complain about secondhand smoke would never think twice about puffing on a joint. It's amazing how tobacco is depicted in most media as something evil that should be outlawed or banne, but somehow weed is depicted as misunderstood, harmless, and on the verge of being legalized.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Almost as bad a s the war on drugs-----I couldnt even imagine fighting a war on drugs, hell I have a hard enough time even being coherent when Im on drugs.....fighting a war while on them?? No way.
  • wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Almost as bad a s the war on drugs-----I couldnt even imagine fighting a war on drugs, hell I have a hard enough time even being coherent when Im on drugs.....fighting a war while on them?? No way.

I literally laughed out loud about this for a good 5 mins.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    D.A.R.E.
    ... to stop the war on drugs....

Drugs
    Are
    Really
    Expensive.

gunna let my Libertarian show a bit even though i try to stay out of the political threads.
    Drugs are a Victimless crime. if i smoke weed, or heroine, or crack, who am i hurting?
    only myself. since i own my body, i am not capable of violating my own rights.

if i hurt someone while on those drugs, it is not the drug to blame. it is me for not being responsible enough to handle my life.
    Im not saying crack should be legal, but it should not be as illegal. it should be treated not like a crime (as it is now) but as an addiction. the most successful drug policies focus on treatment, not law enforcement. throwing the town drunk in jail till he is sober wont get him off the sauce in the long term. a program that deals with addiction has a much higher success rate.

how does my rant deal with tobacco?
    tobacco is a drug as well.
    i am not hurting anyone by using it.
    i am not violating my own rights. the Tobacco company is not forcing me to buy tobacco,* I am doing it because i want to buy it.

*though there was this one time that Alex forced me to smoke an Armada.

its cool though. i thanked him for it later.

• Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Well now that it has been determined that cell phones cause cancer will the government significantly increase taxes on cell phones? Do we now have to disclose that we use cell phones on medical questionnaires? Will there be a war on cell phones?
    Theyre already taxed the **** out of...since so many people have them its a great revenue source. So cancer or not----whats to make us think they would stop now?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I think we should declare a war on war. I hear its the leading cause of death for American soldiers while deployed.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    xmacro:
    $20 says that a lot of the same college kids who complain about secondhand smoke would never think twice about puffing on a joint. It's amazing how tobacco is depicted in most media as something evil that should be outlawed or banne, but somehow weed is depicted as misunderstood, harmless, and on the verge of being legalized.
    +1 about the puffing... I bet they don't even wipe their buddies slobber off of it so they get second hand spit too!

alienmisprint:
    I think we should declare a war on war. I hear its the leading cause of death for American soldiers while deployed.
    +100 (unless you are on some cake @$$ deployment...*achem*)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    D.A.R.E.
    ... to stop the war on drugs....

Drugs
    Are
    Really
    Expensive.

gunna let my Libertarian show a bit even though i try to stay out of the political threads.
    Drugs are a Victimless crime. if i smoke weed, or heroine, or crack, who am i hurting?
    only myself. since i own my body, i am not capable of violating my own rights.

if i hurt someone while on those drugs, it is not the drug to blame. it is me for not being responsible enough to handle my life.
    Im not saying crack should be legal, but it should not be as illegal. it should be treated not like a crime (as it is now) but as an addiction. the most successful drug policies focus on treatment, not law enforcement. throwing the town drunk in jail till he is sober wont get him off the sauce in the long term. a program that deals with addiction has a much higher success rate.

how does my rant deal with tobacco?
    tobacco is a drug as well.
    i am not hurting anyone by using it.
    i am not violating my own rights. the Tobacco company is not forcing me to buy tobacco,* I am doing it because i want to buy it.

*though there was this one time that Alex forced me to smoke an Armada.

its cool though. i thanked him for it later.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    In other words, exactly what the did to marijuana. Funny how history repeats itself
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Amos Umwhat:
    xmacro:
    In other words, exactly what the did to marijuana. Funny how history repeats itself
    True; Hypocrisy isn't confined to any century; it's the gift that keeps on giving.

kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    Drugs are a Victimless crime.
    While I agree with the majority of your post above. I must disagree greatly with that sentence I quoted. From parents who are invovled in violent altercations around their children while doing them. To people who die from meth houses blowing up, or the fumes they produce which have killed people. To the crimes and poor decisions (or lack of decisions) made by people on them who can effect others................You can say this is the individual and not the drug, but saying that is oversimplifing a very complex topic and overlooking the societal and economic impact the drugs themselves have from production, to sale, to comsumption.
    Vulchor:
    kuzi16:
    Vulchor:
    Drugs are a Victimless crime.
    While I agree with the majority of your post above. I must disagree greatly with that sentence I quoted. From parents who are invovled in violent altercations around their children while doing them. To people who die from meth houses blowing up, or the fumes they produce which have killed people. To the crimes and poor decisions (or lack of decisions) made by people on them who can effect others................You can say this is the individual and not the drug, but saying that is oversimplifing a very complex topic and overlooking the societal and economic impact the drugs themselves have from production, to sale, to comsumption.

What about car wrecks involving people high on pot? Or people who are very irritable without it? Don't be selective just because you enjoy it.
    Not talking about pot here-----I consider that alcohol number 2-----talking about harder stuff.
    I think what you're really refering to is "selective freedom"