Home Non Cigar Related

Support Your Team!

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    bangalohr:
    urbino:
    bangalohr:
    Nice thing about the colts is even if they play 3 quarters like crap, manning can turn it all around in the fourth. He's arguably the best QB in NFL history, IMO.
    Arguably.
    I like the argument. Of course, time will tell on that. I'm not passionate about it.
    Manning is a pure passing QB (which I consider the essence of the position), and among those, his competition is primarily Marino and Elway, but guys like Jim Kelly and Warren Moon also rate a mention. I realize that, as a Dolphins fan from way back, I might not be entirely objective about this, but I still consider Marino the best of the bunch. Having watched ALL of those guys -- including Manning, obviously -- right from the start of their careers, I've just never seen any of them throw the ball like Marino in his prime did. He made throws nobody had ever made before, and made them over and over again. The prime example is firing the ball at the receiver's back shoulder so it arrives before the cornerback or safety can get his around and adjust. Marino invented that.

Peyton is a great passer -- probably 2nd in my book -- and incredibly efficient, but I haven't seen him make throws that nobody else has made, or invent a new type of pass.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The argument in Mannings favor versus some of the guys you mention is that Manning basically calls his own game--the off. co-ordinator only sends in suggestions---not sure if Marino called his own plays or not. This has nothing to do with passing skills-only game management
  • Ok, just want to say, Larry Fitzgerald is the pimp of pimps. Go Cards!
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    bangalohr:
    Ok, just want to say, Larry Fitzgerald is the pimp of pimps. Go Cards!

That was an amazing catch that he made for the touchdown in the first quarter.

Alright urbi , maybe the phish can do better in their game....

Yeah, I'm 0-1 on the predictions, so here's hoping I can keep my streak alive. Puro was dead right about Sproles.

Amen on that ...... Colts have to fix the running game next year or they can expect some more early playoff exits if they make it.....not to take one thing away from S.D. they played with heart...they actually scared me more than anyone else in the AFC  playoffs

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Chargers won, woooooo!!!!!!! Though I did punch my ceiling fan when Sproles ran the game winner in, fan's ok, gotta remember about stuff above my head when I do a fist pump now.

Makes me a bit sad that I can't smoke a victory stogie because the post-op meds don't play nice with nicotine or something. I am glad that Sproles was able to prove that he is an every down back, and not just a returner and 3rd down back like we have been using him as. I am worried about who we are going to face next week though, I am hoping for Pittsburgh, but with our luck we are probably going against the Titans.

Crossing my fingers either way.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Ok, so nobody has to face the Colts anymore. What do you guys think about your chances? Im curious about what urbi thinks about the phins chance now, if they beat the ravens, that is.
  • I'm thrilled that the Cards won, but now they're probably playing the Panthers. They couldn't get it done in the regular season. I don't have much hope post season.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I don't see a lot of Hockey talk here. Mostly Football. So I assume this would not be a good time to ask your feelings about the World Junior Hockey Championship? :):)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well Urbi, I'm pulling for the phins but it's not looking too good at the half. I'd love to see them go another round and the Vikes pull off the upset tonight!
    I hated to see LT out for most of the game last night, but Sproles is a VERY dangerous back. Always entertaining to see a guy thats 5'6" and 181lbs tear through a bunch of guys 2 and 3 times his size! ha
    I didn't see anything entertaining about it Puro - it almost made me vomit ! LOL
  • Ed Reed is a beast, but I still hate the Ravens. Mostly because of Terrell Suggs. Go Phins!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    As a member of the Steelers Nation, I'm pretty happy we're playing the Bolts. I'm not being cocky, I'm just saying I'd rather we play them than any of the other teams we could have played. But I would have liked to see the Dolphins win. Of all the teams in college and professional sports I detest (Yankees, Flyers, USC, Notre Dame, etc.) I hate Baltimore the most. They're just such a dirty, cheap-shot type of team with a bunch of loud-mouth jerks on their team. Suggs, Lewis, etc. Some of the, like Reed, back it up. But they're more bark than bite.
    Well, our O-line got whipped nearly all day, and we turned the ball over more times than a trained seal. Hard to win when those 2 things happen. Oh, well. It was still a MUCH better season than I expected. It'll be interesting to see what their top priorities are in the off-season.

From here on out, I guess I root for the Titans.
    I can't believe what a great year it was for the Dolphins. And you know what I love, we didn't hear about Parcells all year. He didn't have to dominate the headlines, he let Spagnato (sp?) do his thing and the team played hard all year long. Seriously, I think Dolphin watchers would have been thrilled with a 8-win season. Congrats...it was a great year for them. It was nice to see Pennington get a chance to play and be healthy all year - and shove it down all the throats of those who said he can't play in this league.
    That's a great point about Parcells, Luko. He really did let Sparano do his job, which I wasn't so sure he would do.

As for Pennington, he did have a great year, and was exactly what this team needed this year. Nonetheless, I think we have to get better at that position if we're going to continue moving forward next year.

Pulling for whoever is playing against San Diego (Yes this is sour apples)

Ah Sparano, I knew it wasn't Spagnato...sorry. So who do you like at QB, Beck, or do they need a FA or draft pick there?
    gmill880:

Pulling for whoever is playing against San Diego (Yes this is sour apples)

That'd be the Pgh Steelers...come on, buddy, get on the wagon. We're headed to the soup or bowl.
    I feel your pain Urbs --- Next significant football date for me - Draft Day
    I;m on Luko I'm on---Big Smile [:D]
    Luko:
    Ah Sparano, I knew it wasn't Spagnato...sorry. So who do you like at QB, Beck, or do they need a FA or draft pick there?
    Beck pretty much worked himself out of a job last summer, I think. We drafted Henne last year, and he seemed to make a big impression during camp. There's a good chance he would've been the starter this season if Pennington hadn't fallen in our laps. It's just a question of whether they think he's ready to step in next season, or think he needs another year of watching. Seems like the rule of thumb for QBs fresh out of college is, if possible, to give them a couple of seasons to just watch. Either way, I can't imagine we'll draft another QB. Doubt we'll pick one up in FA, either. It'll either be Pennington or Henne.

What do you think you guys will focus on in the off-season, gm?
    Well we lost our two starting def tackles (Quinn Pittcock decides to retire as he is driving to training camp, Ed Johnson who Colts drafted on the condition he knows he will be given zero tolerance for ANY drug related incidents ,gets a speeding ticket and busted for pot and is released). A lot of people don't realize Reggie Wayne will be going into his 9th season next year and Marvin Harrison cap hit is a monster 10-12 mill range i think. I think the o-line will be set for several years. We need a WR to groom, definite help on the def line , another LB,  Hunter the punter is getting old , and an extra def back for depth and to groom to replace one of our corners as we dont have the cap space to keep everyone. But the one thing I'm sure of is Bill Polians draft genius. we have to be able to stop the run as a top priority . Also I'm proably in the minority on this one but I.m not sold on Joseph Addai as an every down every game back. Our running game has to improve to set up the play action. The o-line cant be blamed when joe gets 1-3 yds a carry but under similsr circmstances don rhodes and chad simpson and the other two backs are ripping off 5-10 yd runs. Mike Hart should be back next yr healthy and it would not surprise me to see him takethe starting job by mid season; the guy is very very similar to sproles and the jags little quick back Jones-Drew. Addai looks like a convict when he gets thru the line-i have never seen a running back so noticably looking around instead of just hitting the hole and running.
    Sounds like you guys have about as much to work on as we do. That surprises me. You think your head coach will be back?
    No, I think he retires. If he does Jim Caldwell has already been named as his replacement and he's almost a carbon copy of Dungy only with a bit more emotion. Highly respected by and endorsed by Manning which means the rest of the team will be behind him. Plus he has been there for years -he knows everyones abilities and they know what he expects-should be a smooth transfer
  • prs621prs621 Posts: 19
    the only problem with Caldwell is the last time he was a head coach, he coached Wake Forest University, and basically drove the program into the ground, until Grobe came around, not saying Caldwell cant do it now, I am just looking at his track record, and lets face it does Manning really need a QB coach?....
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    So much Bolts hate around here, makes me think you guys might be closet Raiders fans. Lord knows we got enough of those already. Though it makes me sad to think about it, we are going against the one of the best defenses in the nation, they allow the fewest points, yards per game and are 2nd in sacks to Dallas. Rivers cant run for crap outta the pocket and makes dumb decisions under pressure.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Isnt LT out next week also?