Home Cigar 101

humidity is to high

Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
Hello, I've got a quick question. My humidity is to high in my humidor, what do I do? I've heard of putting cedar strips in it, but where would I get those from.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    In addition to adding the cedar strips to your humidor which can problaly be obtained from a cigar store, I would move the humidor to a cooler place. Heat will also cause an increase in the humidity level. It may take a while before you change the level but will improve the smoking condition of your cigars, More even burn, less canoeing, and relighting.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    kaspera79 to the rescue. Thanks again. My humidor is in my basement. This is the coolest place in my house, but maybe the most humid also. So, I guess I'll move it upstairs where it will be warmer but less humid.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you can also prop the lid up a slight bit on the humidor and let out some humidity.

I use heartfelt beads in my humidor. Anything below 65% Rh and it brings it up. anything above and it brings it down. Its kind of slow at bringing humidity down but it does it.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Yep, the beads are the best way I have found to bring the rh down. Dry beads will absorb the excess humidity and moisture. Easiest way I have found to keep rh right where you want it. :)
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Since you have different humidity levels in your house, I would move the humi upstairs and prop the lid open a little like kuzi mentioned till you reach the desired %.

What type of humidifier are you using? When you are able to get the humidity down to the % you want, would that humidifier then be able to maintain the desired %?

I'm with kuzi and pilot when it comes to using beads for overall humidity control, they're great. There are other devices made that do a great job, beads are what I happen to choose.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Moving it to a better location or propping up the lid very slightly i.e. setting a match in the way so it can not close completely are you best bets. I'm not a big fan of the beads, but I know a lot of guys are so I won't go into that. However, the cedar strips will do nothing in the long term, as soon as they get up to the same humidity as the rest of the humidor they'll have no effect. Its a common misconception but adding cedar to your humidor isn't a solution to high humidity.
    the cedar can be added and it will drop the humidity-- but only if you take the cedar out and replace it with more unseasoned cedar. If you keep them in rotation it shouldnt be a problem.

on more than one occasion you (madurofan) have made mention that you are not a fan of the beads. I have been using them for years and i love them. this can only lead me to two conclusions

1) you have never used beads
    B) you have used beads and hate them due to some major problem that you have had wth them.

being that this is a forum where we are all trying to soak in as much info as we can would you please give your opinion on why the beads are not good (at least to you). Maybe you have a bit of info that will make others think twice and therefore make a better decision. Maybe your opinion will lead to someone else having a better cigar experiance. I was curious about this before when I read this once. if i am not mistaken this is the third mention of it and my curiosity has gotten the best of me.
    Kuzi I have used the beads for a very short time (2 months out of last summer). First let me say that once you start using a system like the cigar oasis any passive humidification will annoy you. Second I live in the very humid Virginia Beach area. The whole appeal to the beads is supposed to be that they maintain humidity not just keep it humid but will also absorb any excess humidity. I placed the proper amount of beads in my humidor (in the tubes) and used the 50/50 solution. I could not get my humidor under 80RH but every time I would take them out the humidity would drop within hours. I replaced the tubes even tried using half the beads it called for and my humidity stayed to high. I finally sent an email to Heartfelt asking if I was doing anything wrong and got no reply. I ended up sending three emails and got no reply and the boys at my local tobacconist tossed me a couple Boveda packs and said we recommend these over the beads. As soon as I stuck those in the humi it maintained a perfect 69%. Now I may have been doing something wrong but the fact that Heartfelt wouldn't help me out is why I'll never use them again. Because it may be partially out of spite is why I've never gone into specifics and left it at I'm not a fan.
    Just out of curiousity how long would a pound of beads last you in a 100 ct humi?
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    madurofan:
    Just out of curiousity how long would a pound of beads last you in a 100 ct humi?
    A pound is alot of beads to a 100ct humi. I'd figure since the manufacture recommends oz. to so many cubic inches, I'd say a year or two the least..
    Thanks Mark I was just curious as to how long they lasted. I knew you wouldn't use a pound all at one time but I wanted to compare prices between beads and the Cigar Oasis. I guess if you're going through 3 lbs or more a year in one humi is where it would get to the point where it'd make sense financially to buy a Cigar Oasis.
    madurofan:
    Kuzi I have used the beads for a very short time (2 months out of last summer). First let me say that once you start using a system like the cigar oasis any passive humidification will annoy you. Second I live in the very humid Virginia Beach area. The whole appeal to the beads is supposed to be that they maintain humidity not just keep it humid but will also absorb any excess humidity. I placed the proper amount of beads in my humidor (in the tubes) and used the 50/50 solution. I could not get my humidor under 80RH but every time I would take them out the humidity would drop within hours. I replaced the tubes even tried using half the beads it called for and my humidity stayed to high. I finally sent an email to Heartfelt asking if I was doing anything wrong and got no reply. I ended up sending three emails and got no reply and the boys at my local tobacconist tossed me a couple Boveda packs and said we recommend these over the beads. As soon as I stuck those in the humi it maintained a perfect 69%. Now I may have been doing something wrong but the fact that Heartfelt wouldn't help me out is why I'll never use them again. Because it may be partially out of spite is why I've never gone into specifics and left it at I'm not a fan.
    1) Heartfelt beads never "wear out", all you have to do is add a little distilled water when the rh starts to drop which leads to my next point. 2) I live in New Orleans with very high humidity and they have always worked perfectly. I have never heard of anyone using the 50/50 solution on them before. They are designed to be used with distilled water only. I suspect this was the problem you were experiencing. I used the oasis and Boveda before the beads and founds the beads better because: For me they kept the rh just as stable as Oasis and also took care of excess rh due to the high humidity of where I live and with a lot less work and expense. I really liked the Boveda. They worked great just like the beads but with large humis they got very pricey replacing the packs regularly.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I placed the proper amount of beads in my humidor (in the tubes) and used the 50/50 solution.
    And you should only use distilled water in the beads, never 50/50. The propylene glycol will "clog" the beads, making them ineffective. I too use beads, but for the longest time was not a fan as they never seemed to regulate well. Than I placed a foam type element back in the lid for extra storage, and voila, they work perfectly. I live in the Northern Rockies (MT), so an arid environment is what I contested with. The other thing too to remember is that if in a humid environment, not to saturate the beads, and possibly leave even more of them white (say 60% to 75%), giving you more absorbtion capability :)

But if you like active humidification, than that is what makes you happy, and go with it :D
    I appreciate both of you guys letting me know that the 50/50 solution was probably the issue this could be helpful for others. I however have no interest in the beads especially if made by heartfelt. Like i said its a spite thing. But I've also heard other people have issues with the beads not putting off enough humidity(smoke=fire you apparently had this issue too) or not absorbing enough excess humidity. I have just found that I can control my RH better with the cigar oasis and by slightly opening my lid. I've also found if I keep my humidor full it keeps the rh more stable. If someone is using beads not made by heartfelt and has had success let me know. I might give them a shot instead of buying a new round of boveda packs for my travel humidor, as right now I'm using the water pillows that came free with my latest ccom orders.
    all i put in my beads is distilled water and i have about 60% of the beads clear. the other 40% are white and are not charged. my humidity stays right at 65%Rh.

I have about 10oz or so in my 150 ct humdors. in the summer (May- September) may have to charge them once (very early in the summer) and in the winter i charge them once a month or there abouts.
    Also in my defense when I ordered the beads it was shipped with the 50/50 solution which is why I used it.
    That answer your question Kuzi?
    no need to defend. there is no attack. I can see your point about switching over to active humidification... i just dont have the money. If i had a humidor that was over a 300ct then i woud make the jump but i dont.
    No, No I knew there was no attack. I was just honestly asking if that fully answered your question. I love the active humidification and I've tried to be civil about the beads bc I knew it was mostly a spite thing with me. If you search around you can find a cigar oasis for a decent price. I got a deal where I got two for $150.
    that did answer the question and that is a good deal. as of late though my monthly cigar budget is only around $50 or so a month. ...if im lucky. I dont know if i can NOT BUY any cigars for two months plus just to get an oasis. ... especially since i have no problems with the beads.
    LOL not buying cigars for two months would be unacceptable. Whats the cigar budget stuff though?Don't let my wife hear about one of those, it could be dangerous for my humidor. I usually make big purchases so I only order every few months and then buy a couple here and there from my local tobacconist which I usually smoke in the shoppe. I just made a nice big purchase from ccom a week or so ago. Put that on a credit card the wife doesn't see :)
    BTW did you ever get your MAW? I'm getting antsy about getting that thread going lol
    not yet but i bet i will today. the holiday made it two days in a row without mail. ... plus its comming from Iraq. i hope they get here soon though.
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Yes please no talk about a budget or should I say the amount of a budget. My wife may look over my shoulder one day and see that post and think it's a good idea......lol
    My fears exactly dep. I like running unregulated. lol
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Yeah I hope that MAW gets there soon. I'm dyin to make my wish. I've got my selection narrowed down to 3 brands at least. LOL

Decisions, decisions.
    Ha ha ... I bet it is tough I can't wait to get my first MAW :)
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I'm using a crystal humidifier. Are these any good? And as far as the beads go, do you just put them in your humidor?
    You can put them in almost anything. Heartfelt sells tubes that work really well. I have also used the regular rectangular humidification the comes with most humis. Just take out the foam and put the beads in a nylon stocking or something similar then into the humidification element. I have heard of people just putting them into a bowl also. As long as they are in the humi and about 70% wet with distilled water you should have no problem.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    madurofan:
    ... as right now I'm using the water pillows that came free with my latest ccom orders.
    That's what I've been doing. Works for me. *shrug*