Home Non Cigar Related

Support Your Team!

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I don't dislike the Bolts, geebee. Well, not since Leaf left, anyway. I just didn't think they'd do well in the playoffs. They barely won the 2nd-weakest division in the NFL. That's not exactly inspiring. :)
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    So much Bolts hate around here, makes me think you guys might be closet Raiders fans. Lord knows we got enough of those already. Though it makes me sad to think about it, we are going against the one of the best defenses in the nation, they allow the fewest points, yards per game and are 2nd in sacks to Dallas. Rivers cant run for crap outta the pocket and makes dumb decisions under pressure.
    I'm not a big fan of the Bolts, regardless of who they're playing. LT (playing or not) is a me-first kind of guy and is on the downside of his career. When running backs start slipping, they fall fast (see Alexander, Shawn). Rivers seems like a hothead or a crybaby, I can't decide which. Or maybe an unfortunate combination of both. Thought pretty tough playing on a bad leg last season. Their defensive players talk a little too much smack without always backing it up.

The Steelers D is historically good. Our offense, not so much. That combination might not be good enough to win the Superbowl, but let's hope it's good enough to beat The Super Chargers. Watch out for Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison in this game. Here in Pgh, his nickname is Silverback (as in gorilla) and he's an angry man.
    How's Ben's noggin? Haven't heard anything in a few days.
    All good, at least in relative terms. He's practicing and says he's fine. Maybe it knocked some sense into him so he doesn't always feel the need to take a seven-step drop, scramble around for 30 secs and then take a sack or make an amazing throw that causes heart palpitations.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Hope Ben gets better, I forgot the exact number but I remember seeing a stat that Ben gets hit every 7 or 8 dropbacks or something like that.

Looks like LT is going to try to play, but if he has a detached tendon in his groin that may need surgery, I'm pretty sure that he is out for next week. Let's hope he doesn't do what Merriman did and wait till the opener to get surgery. I was watching a recap of the game where Jerome Bettis was talking about LT's injury and he said that he had something similar and it put him down for a good long while.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    OH come on you guys !!!! Is this thread only for football or what???
    How 'bout those World Champion (5th straight) Jr. Canadian Hockey Team ?
    Looks like a good crop of NHL'rs comin' in the next few years. Not just from the Canadian team but from every team in the tourney.
  • It's Football playoffs, baby! Go Cards! Definitely not the worst team in the playoffs :D
    So are you saying that you guys only focus on the sports that you are good at ? :)
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    So are you saying that you guys only focus on the sports that you are good at ? :)
    No, just that I started this thread for the football season...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Outside of Canada there are 8 people that watch Hockey ...
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    HAHAHA
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    HAHAHA
    We laugh at hockey but outside of the US there are 3.25 people that watch football.
    Actually I just read this article that came out after the super bowl last year on sports viewership outside of the U.S.

According to a comparison of figures from sports consulting firm Initiative Sports Future and U.S. television rating service Nielsen Sports Media, the Super Bowl had about 7.7 million viewers outside the United States, compared to 9.6 million combined foreign viewers who tuned into the next four most popular U.S. sporting events -- the Daytona 500, the Masters and the last games of the World Series and NBA Finals.

Not bad compared to other U.S. sports. I'm sure Hockey has huge viewing audiences in Canada and other countries as well, and I'm sure soccer does too. Nothing wrong with any of them, different people like different things... I guess thats why they have so many sports out there on TV.
    PuroFreak:
    Actually I just read this article that came out after the super bowl last year on sports viewership outside of the U.S.

According to a comparison of figures from sports consulting firm Initiative Sports Future and U.S. television rating service Nielsen Sports Media, the Super Bowl had about 7.7 million viewers outside the United States, compared to 9.6 million combined foreign viewers who tuned into the next four most popular U.S. sporting events -- the Daytona 500, the Masters and the last games of the World Series and NBA Finals.

Not bad compared to other U.S. sports. I'm sure Hockey has huge viewing audiences in Canada and other countries as well, and I'm sure soccer does too. Nothing wrong with any of them, different people like different things... I guess thats why they have so many sports out there on TV.
    I read that as well and then I read the studies that countered that claim. Most of those 7.7 million were Americans living abroad or bars/pubs that showed the game. Realistically they believe it was viewed by less than 1 million non-americans. Oddly Germany had the highest viewership. They also had the highest attendances in NFL Europa.
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    HAHAHA
    That wasn't very pucking nice...
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    HAHAHA
    I hope you know I'm just teasing you Lake.
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    HAHAHA

Oh too late for that now Maddy. I have my skirts all in a knot over this one. I challenge you to a game of "ice" hockey LOL. There will be eight of us :)
    laker1963:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    HAHAHA

Oh too late for that now Maddy. I have my skirts all in a knot over this one. I challenge you to a game of "ice" hockey LOL. There will be eight of us :)
    Get your ladies together, we'll play football afterwards. And not that extra long field 12 man crap you play up there. LMAAO(American A$$ ;))
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    bangalohr:
    I'm thrilled that the Cards won, but now they're probably playing the Panthers. They couldn't get it done in the regular season. I don't have much hope post season.
    Don't be so sure about that. I was at that game, and the Cards were all over us the first half. We ran into some good fortune and made it an exciting game. This weekend's matchup will be very different. DeAngelo is on fire, but the Cards stepped up the run D against the Falcons. Warner's good for 350+ yards on our soft secondary, and if the ground game works to balance things out, we may be looking at a shootout. Expect 65+ total points, but if the Panthers are within a score in the last 2 minutes, we'll be winning this one.
  • dutyje:
    bangalohr:
    I'm thrilled that the Cards won, but now they're probably playing the Panthers. They couldn't get it done in the regular season. I don't have much hope post season.
    Don't be so sure about that. I was at that game, and the Cards were all over us the first half. We ran into some good fortune and made it an exciting game. This weekend's matchup will be very different. DeAngelo is on fire, but the Cards stepped up the run D against the Falcons. Warner's good for 350+ yards on our soft secondary, and if the ground game works to balance things out, we may be looking at a shootout. Expect 65+ total points, but if the Panthers are within a score in the last 2 minutes, we'll be winning this one.
    I can't believe what I just saw. The Cardinals have beat 2 teams from the NFC South back to back and convincingly. I almost want to say they're a lock against the Eagles or a serious competetor against the Giant if the weather stays fair. Love it!
    I think I agree with you, bangalohr. Right now, I'd say a Cards-Ravens Super Bowl is not only possible, but likely. And it'd be a really fun game to see. The thing that's impressed me about you guys the last 2 weeks is how well your defense is playing, and how hard they're hitting. You guys are laying the lumber on some folks.
    I don't see it being likely, but I see a Cards-Steelers Super Bowl as pretty likely... But I wasn't expecting the Cards to blow out Carolina like that so ya never know! I'd really like to see the Ravens pull it off next week! Could be an interesting couple weeks of football!!!
    Yeah, I dunno. For some reason I'm just not sold on the Steelers. Haven't been all season. I felt the same way about the Panthers. (I know why with them, though: Delhomme.)
  • I can't see the Cards playing the G-Men in bed weather and winning, but I would rather they played the Eagles than either the Falcons or the Panthers. I've no doubt that they'll win a game against McNabb. When it comes down to it, this defense is doing so well that I don't know if anyone will be surprised by their performance again. Can't wait for tomorrow.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Anybody know of a good bodyshop the Panthers can get John Fox's teeth marks knocked outta their a-sses at? Hate to be in that locker room
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Cards were very impressive-Warner makes us old guys feel good hahahaha
    To be honest, I can't stand that guy. Self-righteous pr1ck. Still, now that my first 2 teams are out (both courtesy of the Ravens), and even though I'm an AFC guy, I might just root for the Cards. It's like rooting for the runt in a litter of pups to finally get some teat.
    We shoulda known the Cards would win...their coaching staff is essentially Steelers West, including head coach Wisenhunt. Warner is self-righteous, though probably not as much as his annoying-ass wife. Giants beat the Eagles and then the Cards. Steelers beat San Diego and then squeak past Baltimore like usually.

Urbi, I agree with you on the Steelers. I'm not sold on them either and I do know why. Their offense, particularly Ben "Seven-Step-Drop" Roethlisberger. If he can limit his number of plays that make you hold your breath in a good way or a bad way, we'll be in the Super Bowl cause that's how good our defense is.
    urbino:
    Yeah, I dunno. For some reason I'm just not sold on the Steelers. Haven't been all season. I felt the same way about the Panthers. (I know why with them, though: Delhomme.)
    I'm not 100% sold on the Steelers either, in part also because of Ben. He just doesn't seem to be able to throw the ball to the guys wearing the right color shirts unless he can drop back and have 10 minutes to run around, get his heart pumping, stretch, do a few pushups, look down field, check his watch, then throw the ball... And I agree about the Panthers, Delhomme is 99.8% of the reason they lost that game.

I just don't see the Ravens getting past the Steelers unless Ben goes totally brain dead... But it could happen! He could pull a Tony Romo..

P.S. Did anyone hear the news about Romo??? He tried to commit suicide! He tried to shoot himself but the Bullet was intercepted...
    Heh.

Delhomme and Romo share the same problem: they flake out too easily and too often. Yesterday, Delhomme added a second problem -- once he'd decided to throw the ball to a double- or triple-covered receiver, he couldn't get it within a quarter-mile of the guy.

I agree with you guys on Ben, too. But I'm not entirely sold on the defense, either. It looks to me like the Ravens D is playing better when it counts.