Home Non Cigar Related

The End is Here

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
Thank Everyone for their wishes, prayers, kind words, ect. over the last 18 months. My father died this morning around 630am with my mother by his side. I am back at home now with her and my little (17yoa) sister and we are doing as much healing, crying, laughing, and planning as possible. As he smoked cigarettes for 30+ years it was not the biggest shock----but it was what it was. He has been a great man and if no one minds----I'll give him a little paragraph here on a fitting cigar forum, lol, since he hated the damn sticks so much.

My old man was 58 yrs old. He was Type 1 Diabetic since he was 12 years old. From 5 insulin shots a day, to the pump he has had for the last 10 years or so to the time he was thrown in the drunk tank and almost died (from a diabetic sugar reaction, not booze). He moved me into college ,into my first apartment, and into my home with my wife and kids (I did help some, lol). He had a toe amputated 4 years ago, 3 back surgeries, 2 broken legs, broken ribs, broken arm, and a fractured foot that I gave him after watching Karate Kid for the first time. He should have died from this months ago, and CERTAINLY should have died about 2 weeks ago after not eating, drinking, or urinating for 3 days----but as he always did, he came back. Well, not today but as I told him last time I saw him....the cancer didnt beat him, he didnt lose the fight, he just said f' it as he would alot of things in life and did things his way

I could write forever and more and more, but that is enough for now----until I start crying again I guess. Thanks for everything again here folks and somewhere in heaven (if its there, and today I have to believe it is) the Jimmy Buffett music and sweet tea is flowin a plenty.

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that man, prayers of healing for you and your family.
    One God, One Truth
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    That sucks man, I lost my father to cancer almost two years ago. My thoughts are with you.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for your loss. Cancer took my Mom, or maybe I should say the chemo under two years ago. Take Care. Just know Its not the end.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    Vulchor, So sorry to hear about your Dad. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this difficult time. It's never easy losing someone so close, but take comfort in the good memories and treasure the time you had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Sorry for your loss bro. I hope you can take some comfort in the time you had him with him before he passed. My dad died at the start of my senior year in high school and it was out of the blue so no goodbyes or anything. To this day I can still remember our last conversation and everything about it. Anyway, I digress as this is about you and not me. I hope the healing process goes as fast as possible for your family.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Prayer are with you man.

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Godspeed to you and family in your time of need. I'm sure he was a great man, with a great son to carry on his legacy. My thoughts are with you.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Vulchor, sorry to hear it man. Stay tough and know he is always with you.
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    Vulchor, Reading your words about your dad put tears in my eyes. He sounded like a great man, husband, and father and it sounded like you had a great relationship. My prayers are with you and your family.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry for your loss, Vulchor. Take pleasure from your memories and strength from the love that was there. My best to you and your family in this time of healing.

• smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss brother. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family through this tough time.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I never grew up with a father around. It is a very special opportunity you had growing up. Hard to see a person pass away that you are close to but I am glad you get to look back with fondness. You will see him again someday. Marker.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    You and your family will be in our prayers tonight.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    I'm really sorry about your loss, i lost my dad 1 year ago to cancer and he became a diabetic after he was diagnosed with cancer and that only helped the cancer take him down. You have to look at the brightside, he is not suffering anymore and don't have to watch him suffer anymore. I'll keep your family in my prayers.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Sorry for your loss brother . My prayers are with you !
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Sorry for you and your families loss Vulchor...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Nothing we say can help, but we are still thinking of you and I am praying for you.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry for you and your families loss, lost my dad in 02 and mom in the nursing home @ 84 but just sleeps so dont know how much longer she will hold on.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sorry to hear that man, best wishes for you and yours
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Your dad sounds like a tough guy..And I believe there is a heaven, and your father is at peace.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'll never forget my dad's words between sobs after his mom died : "at least she's not hurting any more" .. Prayers are with you.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Vulchor:
    Thank Everyone for their wishes, prayers, kind words, ect. over the last 18 months. My father died this morning around 630am with my mother by his side. I am back at home now with her and my little (17yoa) sister and we are doing as much healing, crying, laughing, and planning as possible. As he smoked cigarettes for 30+ years it was not the biggest shock----but it was what it was. He has been a great man and if no one minds----I'll give him a little paragraph here on a fitting cigar forum, lol, since he hated the damn sticks so much.

My old man was 58 yrs old. He was Type 1 Diabetic since he was 12 years old. From 5 insulin shots a day, to the pump he has had for the last 10 years or so to the time he was thrown in the drunk tank and almost died (from a diabetic sugar reaction, not booze). He moved me into college ,into my first apartment, and into my home with my wife and kids (I did help some, lol). He had a toe amputated 4 years ago, 3 back surgeries, 2 broken legs, broken ribs, broken arm, and a fractured foot that I gave him after watching Karate Kid for the first time. He should have died from this months ago, and CERTAINLY should have died about 2 weeks ago after not eating, drinking, or urinating for 3 days----but as he always did, he came back. Well, not today but as I told him last time I saw him....the cancer didnt beat him, he didnt lose the fight, he just said f' it as he would alot of things in life and did things his way

I could write forever and more and more, but that is enough for now----until I start crying again I guess. Thanks for everything again here folks and somewhere in heaven (if its there, and today I have to believe it is) the Jimmy Buffett music and sweet tea is flowin a plenty.

Sorry to hear this brother, my dad went pretty much the same way 6 years ago.... thanks for sharing a piece of him. Take care bro and if there is anything I can do just give me a shout!
    Peace and prayers for you
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    +1000 prayers for you and your family. Sounds like your dad already paid his price for rest.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Thoughts and Prayers for your loss.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear - praryers to you and yours brother.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the kind words..... Funeral arrangements yesterday, paryer service and luncheon plans today, SS Dept tomorrow------doing decent considering it all, just worried about Mom once I go back home this weekend.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss bro.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear this my friend.