Home Cigar 101

blending 101

13»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you are looking for Nicotiana Tobacum in the dark tobacco varietal families. Corojo, Criollo, sumatra, or the other ones mentioned on the first post in this thread.

Burly, Orientals, Virginia, and those belonging to the light tobacco families are better for pipes and cigarettes.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I read your thread. It is very informative on growing regions. My question was region specific, basically what tobacco will make good cigar tobacco and could be grown in Georgia. I'm trying to decide on next years crop and what flavors could be expected form each. For example, Cuban Habano, what particular flavor profiles will I get? My soil conditions are ph-6.5, rich humus, a slight clay content and well drained. I plan on using lime heavily this year, will this soil additive help or hinder my tobacco growing? My questions may be an inconvenience to you , but the knowledge I gain is valuable to me. If I'm annoying you just let me know.
    habano is criollo and that is all derived from cuba. I dont know what flavor profiles you will get out of it when you grow in Georgia. I am not familiar with the weather, the soil, the specific temperature of that season, the amount of sun you will get out of that season, and i have never once smoked a Georgia Puro.
    you are not annoying me.
    you are asking a question that has no answer. i fear the best i have for you is in my first post.
    i described the general idea of many strains of tobacco and their growing regions. i stated that the region you grow in has a huge impact on the flavor because of the factors i mentioned in this post.
    quite frankly, i have no idea what will be a good cigar tobacco in Georgia. maybe there will be no good one. this may be why no major growers for cigar tobacco have set up shop there.

i am not even able to give you a flavor profile because i dont know how you are curing or fermenting (that effects flavor just as much if not more than the region). i dont know if some of the compounds that you may nor may not know about in the soil in Georgia will effect how it grows, cures, or ferments. im not sure on your methods of fermentation if you have a yield that is too low to make pilones with any weight to them. im not sure how you plan of regulating the humidity or temp for the fermentation process. I dont know flavor profile you are looking for. i dont know how you are planning on harvesting.

but back to the answer
    in my last post in this thread i mentioned what type of tobacco is used for cigars. Im sure most of it can be grown in your area. i dont know if it will be good or not because, much like you, i have no experience with cigar tobacco grown in that region. I know tobacco will grow there.
    i dont know if it will be good.

in general rich, open-grained, deep soil that is well supplied with organic matter and abundant humidity is the ideal soil for cigar leaf production.
    nitrogen will give you a richer overall leaf but thinner and harder to work with especially for wrapper. think 50 to 80 lbs per acre. most of the nitrogen should be in the nitrate form.
    too much magnesium will make a brittle flaky ash
    your ph is a bit high. aim for 5.8ish

i dont know what else to tell you.
    i am not a biochemist/botanist. im just a guy that likes cigars too much.
    if you want to know specifically how nutrients effect the taste of the tobacco plant... you need to ask someone who grows the stuff as a way of life. i dont know what flavor will come out if you add lime. i dont know what flavor will come out if there is too much phosphorus, sulfur, or potassium. you may wanna check out THIS site. good luck.
    Thank you. The PH was my biggest concern. I may have further questions for you in the future on curing processes and blending. I'll read all your postings before I post A question.
    If your interested I'll send you A few samples after I ferment my tobaccos. I'm in the process of building A fermenting chamber so I can control the humidity and temperature for optimum curing. I'm interested in all aspects of the growing, curing and fermenting process. Who knows I may stumble onto A good blend or two. Either way I'll have fun along the way. My Biggest obstacle for now is building the forms and press.
    if you have a drill and a good saw you can make a mold. it isnt hard. curing and fermenting are different.
    I've been air curing for about twelve weeks on my first cuttings. The tobacco is about ready to go into the fermenting chamber this weekend. I plan on keeping the temperature at 120 to 130 degrees and the humidity at 70 to 75 percent for six to eight weeks. If what I've read is true this should release the ammonia and sugars in the tobacco. I'll post on how its going.
    yeah... youll be able to smell if it is working
    saw some people asking about this kinda stuff.

thought id bring this forgotten relic of a thread to the top again.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )