Home Cigar 101

Why are Fuente's so prone to Mold?

blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
Maybe its just my luck, but it seems in general Fuente's (any line) seem much more prone to Mold than any other Manufacturer's I've stored. Is it just my luck that i've only had Fuentes mold, or is it something to do with the wetter weather there? I remember reading somewhere they couldn't grow wrapper leaf for years there because of wet conditions. Just curious because I've had several Chateau fuentes, etc grow mold, in one case a bad outbreak that caused me to toss almost 10 left in a box.

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    mold or pluum? Cuz with my experiences with Fuente is they tend to get pluum(however your spell it) on them. My shop had double chat. maduros and when you removed the cedar wrap around it, it was covered in pluum and smoked amazingly.!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Never had any problems with Fuentes and mold, and I smoke more Fuente than anything else. A lot of people mistake the excess glue that tends to get on the wrappers of a lot of their cigars for mold or plume (regardless, it is neither, just excess pectin, since Fuente seems to think they need to use a gallon of the stuff per box). Kind of shiny, looks like a snail or slug trail. As for plume, mold is far more likely. Most smokers will never get plume on a cigar. Dust? Yep. Mold? Maybe. True plume? Not likely.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Eh maybe I've just had bad luck. I see regular pectin & glue marks, Snail Tracks as we call it here. Which is what we call another term for underwear tracks when the petting gets heavy, Oh wait I didn't say that :-0. I have had a few AC outages over the years and during those when the temps rose to 80 plus, It just seems to me the Dominicans & Fuentes in general had slight mold problems. Just the white fuzzy stuff you wipe off, no outbreak of blue mold or in the foot mold but it just made me wonder if the wet temps I've read about there had other people experiences issues with Dominicans growing a lil mold. No issue, must just be my western Pennsylvania weather conditions.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not sure about Fuentes in general, but I've heard a few stories (and a first-hand experience) that GOF tubo's have a high tendency to mold over.

Not a problem with me, since aside from GOF's, AF flavor profile doesn't suit me
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem, but then again I usually smoke 'em not long after I get them. With the exception of OpusX, and G.O.F. I like most Fuentes fairly young.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive heard about cedar wrapped anejos (all but the 77 if i am not mistaken) having mold issues. maybe the cognac barrels have something to do with it. Ive never had a problem and i dont know of problems with other lines.