Home Cigar 101

What Scotch do you prefer with your Cigars????

I find myself wanting to enjoy a good scotch along with my cigars. Does anyone have any suggestions on a single malt, or any other scotches that go along with a good smoke, as well any other beverages for that matter. I love to pare wine with food, so I would imagine that the same should apply to cigars. What wold you recommend?

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    There have been a couple threads about this very subject and there seems to be a lot of bourbon drinkers on here. Makers Mark and Buffalo Trace are two of the most popular and two of my personal favorites. I also enjoy a good Crown and coke with my cigars.

I had some 10 Cane Rum a while back with a Fuente Hemmingway and those paired together well. Still prefer a good smooth bourbon though.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I like to have a nice smoke with a glass of JD Single Barrell if I am in the whiskey/bourbon mood, I also have been known to drink some JW Gold label with a smoke from time to time (once in a blue moon, maybe even some of my Blue label)

"Long ashes my friends."

• TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I like lagavulin, but it has a really peaty full flavored body. Macullum is also very good. Glenn Fiddich for those who like 'em smooth.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I'm getting into scotch myself. JW green last weekend but w/o a smoke.
    Crown/Sprite, Crown/Sweet tea with a cigar is not bad. Full Moon with a Camacho triple maduro is nice too. A good Zin with the Oliva V goes over well also.
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    The Macallan 18 year is my favorite and the 12 year is very good as well at a lower price point I prefer Highland Park and at the other end of the spectrum for a special occasion I love Macallan 25 but it is out of my price range other then very rarely.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

PuroFreak:
    There have been a couple threads about this very subject and there seems to be a lot of bourbon drinkers on here. Makers Mark and Buffalo Trace are two of the most popular and two of my personal favorites. I also enjoy a good Crown and coke with my cigars.

I had some 10 Cane Rum a while back with a Fuente Hemmingway and those paired together well. Still prefer a good smooth bourbon though.

chrissakes are you my brother from another mother.....just finished off the last Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark I had in the last week...10 Cane and Tortuga are my fav rums ....crown is always good but I can't mix anything with Coke I almost always use Sierra Mist....rum and Fuente  are excellent combo and bourbon and Maker Mark cigars are excellent together ....h uppman vint cameroon and bourbon as well as punch gran puro and gran cru work well together

Haha Well for my money there is nothing better than a good glass of Makers or Buffalo trace and a really good cigar! It doesn't matter if it's a Maduro or a Cammie or a connei wrapper... Nothing beats a good glass of bourbon with a smoke!
  • Well it looks like I am going to be spending some money at liqueur store today, I had Makers before, but since forgot about it. I am also going to pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace seeing as I am from Buffalo NY it only makes sense. All I need now is a smoking room some where in my house, because smoking outside in a balmy 5 degrees is not my idea of a good time.
    Haha, Yea 5 degrees isn't exactly ideal smoking weather! It's all the way up to 22 here this morning and there is no way in HELL I'd be smoking outside today.

PuroFreak:
    Haha Well for my money there is nothing better than a good glass of Makers or Buffalo trace and a really good cigar! It doesn't matter if it's a Maduro or a Cammie or a connei wrapper... Nothing beats a good glass of bourbon with a smoke!

I wholeheartedly agree ....just need alittle warmer weather and a nice big fat steak grillin' to complete the picture....too bad u don't live closer to n.c. puro

• rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Haha, Yea 5 degrees isn't exactly ideal smoking weather! It's all the way up to 22 here this morning and there is no way in HELL I'd be smoking outside today.
    We were around negative 12 for air temperature to start the day but I think that we are up to negative 4 now. Much better than being in the Dakotas where I heard they hit negative 40s for air temp. I can't even begin to imagine that.
  • Well we are at about 6 right now but the wind chill makes it feel like it is well below zero. My dog wont even go out to relieve herself it's so damn cold, but I guess if I had to put my ass the snow to pee I wouldn't do it either.
    gmill880:

PuroFreak:

I wholeheartedly agree ....just need alittle warmer weather and a nice big fat steak grillin' to complete the picture....too bad u don't live closer to n.c. puro

No joke! We could pitch in on a storage unit rental to plug up a heater in so we would have our own "Guys Only" Smokehouse! haha
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Buffalo Mike:
    Well we are at about 6 right now but the wind chill makes it feel like it is well below zero. My dog wont even go out to relieve herself it's so damn cold, but I guess if I had to put my ass the snow to pee I wouldn't do it either.
    Ha! What's the workaround for that situation, anyway? Is she trained to use the potty?
  • 30 year single Laphroig, I would do the 40 year but it is $90 for single shot and $125 for a double, the 30 year is $30 and $45 but worth every penny.
  • urbino:
    Buffalo Mike:
    Well we are at about 6 right now but the wind chill makes it feel like it is well below zero. My dog wont even go out to relieve herself it's so damn cold, but I guess if I had to put my ass the snow to pee I wouldn't do it either.
    Ha! What's the workaround for that situation, anyway? Is she trained to use the potty?

No she is trained to go outside, but she grew up in Columbus OH, where it never got that cold or snowed this much. I am training her to like the snow, and seeing how she is an English Shepard she has the coat for it. She is just being the typical woman, and she is getting used to it. I figured if I clear a path to my back garage, and a small bathroom area she would use it, but 9 times out of 10 its a #2 right in the path that leads to my back garage where I am forced to smoke cigars. Oh well at least it's frozen when I find it hahaha.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Buffalo Mike:
    urbino:
    Buffalo Mike:

No she is trained to go outside, but she grew up in Columbus OH, where it never got that cold or snowed this much. I am training her to like the snow, and seeing how she is an English Shepard she has the coat for it. She is just being the typical woman, and she is getting used to it. I figured if I clear a path to my back garage, and a small bathroom area she would use it, but 9 times out of 10 its a #2 right in the path that leads to my back garage where I am forced to smoke cigars. Oh well at least it's frozen when I find it hahaha.
    Hey Buffalo, that's a little to much information. Betcha can't wait till spring. The secret, I've done this, get the snow blower and get that crap out of the way while it's still in a frozen state. Perhaps throw it into the neighbors yard. What I did was throw it on the neighbor's roof. ( by accident ). It was his dog anyway.

kaspera79:
    Buffalo Mike:
    urbino:
    Buffalo Mike:

Hey Buffalo, that's a little to much information. Betcha can't wait till spring. The secret, I've done this, get the snow blower and get that crap out of the way while it's still in a frozen state. Perhaps throw it into the neighbors yard. What I did was throw it on the neighbor's roof. ( by accident ). It was his dog anyway.

Kas thats too damn funny ( by accident of course)

• PuroFreak:
    Indeed!!! Exactly same bourbon(s) sit on my shelf. These really seem to complement the flavors and aromas of a wide variety of cigars. .
    Those are two of the most popular bourbons on this forum. These guys are the reason I started drinking the Buffalo Trace! haha Bad influence around here! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    I'm not a fan of Maker's. Still haven't had a chance to try Buffalo Trace. Woodford Reserve is my go-to bourbon.
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Woodford but haven't tried it yet either. I get stuck on one type of Whiskey and stick with it for a long time... Kinda have a one track mind I guess.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm just cheap. I'm still stuck on Evan Williams Single Barrel.
  • kardar2kardar2 Posts: 43
    I have a rum & Coke with my cigar

urbino:
    I'm not a fan of Maker's. Still haven't had a chance to try Buffalo Trace. Woodford Reserve is my go-to bourbon.

you gotta try the buffalo trace 'Bino

gmill880:

urbino:

you gotta try the buffalo trace 'Bino

I plan to, one of these Thursdays. There wouldn't have been any point tonight or last Thurs. With this cold, it wouldn't have tasted right anyway. We're having a going away party for a co-worker tomorrow night. I'll try one then, if they have it.
    cool
  • ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    I will usually have plain old Dewar's White Label on the rocks with a cigar.
    I also really like Jameson on the rocks or with tonic and a lime.
    Last night I actually had Bombay Blue Sapphire gin with a Don Diego.

- Shawn
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree that when it comes to bourbon, Buffalo Trace is the stuff.
    For Scotch, I'm not really into the really peaty scotches - my current fav is Glen Fiddich 21 year - it's finished in rum barrels for a little extra complexity.
    My drink of preference, especially with a cigar, is cognac - either Remy or Hennessy XO.
    For rum - either Ron Zacapa centenario (the 23 year) or Goslings Family Reserve (the black seal is great for mixing).
    Vodka - Belvedere, dirty.
    Gin - Hendricks, either dirty or with some cucumber.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had a chance to drink while smoking yet, but JW black label is one of my go-to drinks anyways. I also dig Cpt Morgan Private Stock (if you haven't tried it, buy a bottle and forget everything you know about Cpt Morgan) and either Belvedere or Chopin vodka. Can't wait to try these with a good cigar.