Home Ratings & Reviews

ccom sampler

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Hmmm I kept hearing about the ccom house blends so when I placed my last order I threw in the house blends sampler. I'm going to post my reviews in this thread as I smoke each one. I picked up my first one tonight, the cuban label. Nicely constructed though it almost had the look of a machine rolled cigar, very thin almost nonexistent veins. Burned flawlessly, so even it was scary. Of course being short filler it didn't hold its ash at all. She also burned rather quickly again the downside of short filler. The draw was very good not too loose and not at all tight. Now on to the taste. The first third was almost completely flavorless and extremely mild. The middle had decent flavor though it hardly reminded me of any cubans way too mild and no spice. Mild hints of leather and a little earthiness but no spice or pepper you would expect from a "cuban label". Overall it was a well constructed cigar especially for a short filler house blend but came up way short on flavor IMO. I'd love to hear what any of you guys that have also tried this smoke have to say.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Not a whole lot of interest in this thread so far but I smoked a purple label yesterday so I figured I'd give it a little review. Construction wise it was almost identical to the cuban label. It also burned flawlessly, albeit too fast. Even though it burned fast it never got too hot. I was a little impressed with the cigar it had a lot of flavor. Very nutty and creamy. For a mild-medium cigar it had damn good flavor. It wasn't my favorite because I like a little more full body but it was really tasty and I'd DEFINETLY smoke another when I am in a mild mood, although thats rare.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ie had that cigart to and had almost IDENTICAL thoughts about it. It is a mixed filler so that may be one of the reasons why it burns fast.
    Its mixed, I had previously been told it was short filler. I looked at it as it would be a good quick morning cigar.
    madurofan:
    Its mixed, I had previously been told it was short filler. I looked at it as it would be a good quick morning cigar.
    I meant "Its mixed? I had....."
    Ok I smoked a blue label the other day. Not even worth a review IMHO. I am going to smoke another bc that one was so bad I think there was something wrong. I rarely every put a cigar down until I've hit the final 3rd but I set this one down less than half way through.
    oooh. ive never heard of that with cigar.com house blends. better luck on the next one.
    Did a little research and found out short filler and mixed filler mean the same thing. hmmm mixed sound better
    i was under the impression that a mixed filler was a few long leaves were binding together short filler and a short filler cigar was one or two wrapper leaves were holding together nothing but short filler. hmmmm... maybe donny tim or alex can chime in on this one. i mean they are the face of cigar.com. they should know how their own cigars are made.
    From my research, you are correct but this is also called short filler as no handmade cigar can be exclusively short filler. No expert here just passing on my research.
    I'd love a better explanation from the ccom boys but from what I read what you are refering to as short filler is actually a "sandwich" or "cuban sandwich". Unless I'm **** this all up, which is possible.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan, check out this ccom tv video that Tim and Donny did on 5/9, towards the end they give an explanation of how a mixed filler cigar is made, and I found it quite interesting.

Click Here!

Joe
    Thanks joe. I'll check it out this weekend. Please correct me if I'm wrong too, I'm just going off what I read but you know how the internet is 90% is BS and the rest is just plain incorrect.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    madurofan:
    Ok I smoked a blue label the other day. Not even worth a review IMHO. I am going to smoke another bc that one was so bad I think there was something wrong. I rarely every put a cigar down until I've hit the final 3rd but I set this one down less than half way through.
    Is this review relative to the standard $8+ premium cigar, or is it really that bad, as in not even worth $2.50?
    THIS STICK, I emphasize that because I have only smoked one, was terrible. Tasted like a dried up grocery store cigar. Like i said I need to smoke another. As a side note I smoked another cuban label the other day and it was exactly the same as the first one. At least its consistent.
    OK I smoked a corojo label the other day as well. It had the classic spiciness of a corojo so I was good with it from the get go. Again burned flawlessly. It again had the nutty, cedar taste. I'm noticing this is a common theme with the ccom blends and wondering if they are all using very similar fillers. Anyone else notice this? Burned a little fast but surprising stayed relatively cool. It is, IMO, a good everyday cigar and I'll likely buy a box. So far my favorite ccom blend by far.
    i have never once heard a negative about the corojo label. ... whats wrong with me? why have i not picked one up? geeeeeez!!
    Its is good, grab one. Not very complex kind of medium bodied but a good everyday cigar for less than 3 bucks. I will be ordering a box when its time to re-up. So far the corojo and purple labels are the only ones I'd buy again.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    The Corojo label is the only one that I haven't tried. I have a couple in my humi though, so I will make sure to try it. As long as its not anything like the purple or blue labels it will be good.
    I liked the purple very mild but a good change of pace. I'll probably stock a few for newbie's.
    I thought the purple label was pretty decent myself. Mild for sure, but enjoyable all the same. If I could change one thing though, I would like for it to have had a bit more complexity, as it seemed fairly one-dimensional to me.
    complexity is something all of the ccoms I've tried so far lack. The corojo is the most complex but I still wouldn't consider it complex. If that makes any sense.
    Yeah, it makes sense. The corojo is the label I've been wanting to try the most actually. I've got two in my humidor, so I probably ought to crack one out soon and give it a whirl.
  • burnoneburnone Posts: 1
    Settled on the corojo after working through the ccom sampler a while back - have been through the better part of a box now. For me, they've been a consistent, pleasant smoke in terms of flavor and not overpoweringly strong.
    madurofan:
    complexity is something all of the ccoms I've tried so far lack. The corojo is the most complex but I still wouldn't consider it complex. If that makes any sense.
    yeah i understand but for what you are paying for can you complain?

and heres a thought:
    not all cigars have to be complex. If there is one good flavor and it doesnt change through out the cigar and the taste and the aftertaste are the same, but its good, is there really a problem? does that makeit bad? can "simple" (the opposite of complex) be good too?
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    yeah i understand but for what you are paying for can you complain?

and heres a thought:
    not all cigars have to be complex. If there is one good flavor and it doesnt change through out the cigar and the taste and the aftertaste are the same, but its good, is there really a problem? does that makeit bad? can "simple" (the opposite of complex) be good too?
    I can agree with that sentiment completely. At times, I've wished that a cigar would maintain the same taste it had at one point throughout the entire stick. Complexity is nice, but simplicity can be even better if you ask me.
  • Hi All,  I'm a nubie here-  but I'd like to chime in on the house sticks.  I haven't tried them all yet, but I thought the cuban, blue and purple were all decent (well worth the price, but not spectacular).  However the Brazilian is great.  I bought a box right away- although I like Rocky Patel's, CAO's, and many other big names better; I think the Brazilian is almost as good- and is frikin cheap!  Has anyone else tried this one? 

Also, the Bazilians are made in a different factory than most other ccom cigars- mabey AJ Fernandez just makes great cigars!

schpieglei:

Hi All,  I'm a nubie here-  but I'd like to chime in on the house sticks.  I haven't tried them all yet, but I thought the cuban, blue and purple were all decent (well worth the price, but not spectacular).  However the Brazilian is great.  I bought a box right away- although I like Rocky Patel's, CAO's, and many other big names better; I think the Brazilian is almost as good- and is frikin cheap!  Has anyone else tried this one? 

Also, the Bazilians are made in a different factory than most other ccom cigars- mabey AJ Fernandez just makes great cigars!

actually many of us have had them. (not me yet. its in the humi though) there was actually a thread a bit back where everyone was drooling over them...
    Kuzi, I definetly agree simple can be good especially at this price!
    schpieglei AJ Fernandez IS that great, enuff said.
    i like simple when smoking with friends. I dont always wanna sit there and try to figure out my cigar. a time and a place for everything.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ccom threw in 5 purple label robustos on my order, as compensation for a shipping snafu. I haven't tried one, yet, but they'll be my first sampling of the house brand. Sounds like they'll be milder than I like, but maybe handy to keep on hand for one particular friend of mine who can't handle anything that isn't mild. And variety is good. That's why I ordered the R&J Reserva Reals, to complement the Hemingways.

I'll have to snag a few Brazilians on the next order.