Home Cigar 101

Penn Broadleaf Maduro

I have been randomly smoking cigars for awhile. The other day I started to make a list of cigars that I have really enjoyed. There has been a repetative theme with a lot of my favorites. I did not know at the time but it is the Penn Broadleaf Maduro. I really enjoy the disel uhc, Vegas aaa, LHC OF, Patel Bros, and Padilla Black Bear. What are some other cigars that use this wrapper so I can try them also.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you already mentioned my favorite of the PAs the 5 vegas AAA. i feel that blend balances the leaf better than any other blend. it lets it shine for what it is and doesnt try to use it as a "supplementary" flavor.

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I believe 5 Vegas Gold Maduro is Penn Broadleaf. That's all I ca think of that you didn't already name.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I love the PA Broadleaf. The Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserve Limitada shares that wrapper also. I think you have covered all the rest that I know.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    you already mentioned my favorite of the PAs the 5 vegas AAA. i feel that blend balances the leaf better than any other blend. it lets it shine for what it is and doesnt try to use it as a "supplementary" flavor.

Thats interesting to hear. I knew you liked it kuzi, but didn't know you like the AAA that much. I love the Diesel UHC, actually haven't had the others yet even thouigh I've been sitting on a 5 pack of LHC OFs for about 6 months that I got in a trade here, but I will have to give the AAA a shot now as well. Its on the list for my next order.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    big fan of the Diesel UHC and the AAA. AJ knows how to use the PA Broadleaf to it's fullest potential, no pun intended on the part of the "full"
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ..you hit on some winners there, but add the Rocky Patel Decade Edicion Limitada. I am a big Rocky fan and this one reminds me of the Winter Blend from 2009. The flavors are great in this one.. dark chocolate, coffee, fruit like raisin, woody and a toasty quality too. I like these and now think I should get a few more.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Ditto on this whole thread...love the Lancaster leaf. We are starting to see that leaf inside some cigars now too. :-)
  • Which cigars are using the leaf inside?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    La Casita Criolla I believe. correct me if I'm wrong please
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a good article by Alex on the PA Broadleaf

Pennsylvania Broadleaf

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    +1 on the diese uhc. also try the la aroma de cuba, great broadleaf flavors!
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom:

Pennsylvania Broadleaf

Here's another good read from Alex on the PA Broadleaf:

Alex Interview on the Pennsylvania Broadleaf

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    dennisking:
    La Casita Criolla I believe. correct me if I'm wrong please
    Hey, Dennis, I think that cigar uses all CT Broadleaf.
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    I love the Cubao maduro its Ecuadorian broadleaf but could easily be mistaken for PA IMO. I highly reccomend it in the 7x49 churhill for more wrapper flavor. Coffee, cocoa, earth a little leather and a little sweet as well.
  • The decade with the Penn Broadleaf sounds very good. I really enjoy the decade and now I have found it has my favorite wrapper. This could be the holy grail of cigars for me. I will start my search today to try to find one in my area.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Funny I should see this thread this morning, I had a box of RP Bros I bought last nov and haven't smoked anything from it in about 6 months till last night. Good stick, PBM is probably my 2nd favorite wrapper. RP Bros however doesn't beat the Winter Blend 2009.

"Long ashes my friends."

dbeckom:
    dbeckom:

Pennsylvania Broadleaf

Here's another good read from Alex on the PA Broadleaf:

Alex Interview on the Pennsylvania Broadleaf

awesome article, thanks for posting up the link.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Messick:
    Which cigars are using the leaf inside?
    Copied from the ccom description (bold added) of La Herencia Cubana Core, "inside you'll find a unique, full-bodied, complex filler brimming with ligero tobaccos from Nicaragua and Honduras mixed with broadleaf from Pennsylvania.

Looks like LHC core?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Ken Light:
    Messick:
    Which cigars are using the leaf inside?
    Copied from the ccom description (bold added) of La Herencia Cubana Core, "inside you'll find a unique, full-bodied, complex filler brimming with ligero tobaccos from Nicaragua and Honduras mixed with broadleaf from Pennsylvania.

Looks like LHC core?
    I will be adding it to the list. thanks.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of the PA Broadleaf as well, hope we see more blends with it! I think the current rising star is gonna be Ecuadorian Habano wrappers. I think we will be seeing much more of these in the future!
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big vote for the Pinar Del Rio Seleccion Reserva Limitada, the white label. Great cigar. There are a couple of re-blends and exclusives but the white label PA wrapped ones are solid smokes and can be had for ridiculous prices if you know where to look.
  • Sat down with a "random" smoke too, a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. And after enjoying it went and did a little research on it. My search led me to this thread. Can't wait to try the others mentioned here.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Welcome! Hope you stick around. You'll find that many (not me, yet) have excellent info to share.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mambojoe:
    Sat down with a "random" smoke too, a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. And after enjoying it went and did a little research on it. My search led me to this thread. Can't wait to try the others mentioned here.
    I've had my eye on that as well, and welcome brother! Glad to have you among us :) -- Jar-Man
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Quoted from the article: "The wrappers on these four cigars look like they were sun-grown."

How does a wrapper "look" sun-grown?
    JudoChinX:
    Welcome! Hope you stick around. You'll find that many (not me, yet) have excellent info to share.
    Sorry brother but I gotta disagree... I'm sure many value your input, me among them... no need to sell yourself short my friend :) OT but idea just spawned in the old noggin, might be fun to get a raodtrip herf going. Utah isn't too far away from Colorado and I love roadtrips as does the wife. Maybe in some months we can get something nailed down to do this, thoughts? - Jar-Man
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    skweekz:
    Quoted from the article: "The wrappers on these four cigars look like they were sun-grown."

I think it has to do with the fact that to my recollection, "sung grown" is a very distinctive tobacco due to it being much more robust, full flavored, and generally very dark because it has been exposed to the sun instead of grown under the gauze nets like a large variety of tobacco is. Could be way off, but that's what I get out of it. -- Jar-Man
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    skweekz:

it has a better tan, duh.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    BigT06:
    skweekz:

haha +1
    ShotgunJohn:
    BigT06:
    skweekz:

haha +1
    LOL Thats hilarious.

One thing to keep in mind is what happens to the plant where its grown. When grown in full sun I think would produce a very thick meaty leaf with predominant veins while a shade grown or grown under constant cloud cover, would result in a smoother look to the leaf with minimal veins. Obviously, there a million variables that drive both taste and appearance like seed type, priming, and country of origen as well. But sun vs shade is definitely one of them that would influence the taste and appearance of the leaf. I'm also guessing that is why alot of "sun grown" cigars are maduros, becuase the thicker tobacco stands up better to the maduro process.

I don't know, just a thought, this guy could very well have been making this up as he goes.