Home Cigar 101

Joya de Nicaragua Dark Corojo

BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
There just aren't many cigars in the world that are better than these, imho.

that is all.

Comments

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I like hearing that. I bought a box of the corona (peligroso) on a hunch, good reveiws & my new perversion for all coronas. I have had them sitting in my humi for almost a year now, just waiting to break into that box to start enjoying a few every year. Sad I've waited that long, but I have an 11 month old son, so give me a break its been a hectic (but awesome) year!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I really love these cigars. The strength, the flavor, the feel, the overall experience... it's what I look for in a cigar. Breakfast, lunch, dinner... special occasion, no reason at all... it's become my go to cigar. I am fortunate enough to smoke some pretty good cigars (many of which were gifted by the AMAZING BORKs on this very forum), and even with a cooler full of cigars, I will buy these any and every time I see them for a deal.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    def great smokes!!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never tried them yet, thanks for the write up BigT, on my "need to get" list now!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I am a fan of these also. Recently smoked a Celebracion recently and liked it too.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have liked the JDN's I have smoked but have not hit this one yet. Added to the list of "must try" sticks
  • I am gonna smoke one tonight. It's been awhile since I have had one.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a few of these. i want to give them time. i feel they will be great with some age.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Funny "The Beard" and I recently had a conversation on what a great wrapper the JdN Dark Corojo has, he was pointing out how perfect the fermentation makes the leaf.
    I love these they are always consistent and fantastic. Kuzi is right age makes them even better.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I bought a test flight sampler deal (you know, one of 5 different vitolas) of these and they were funky... had 3 of them and they all provided vastly different experiences... I haven't gone back to them since... i'm sure I'm come across one again soon and smoke it, but that flight was weird...
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    mmmm, got some JDN Dark Corojo Antano's in a bomb, lit it up thinking it was gonna be a dog rocket - they're now one of my favorites :)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i have a few of these. i want to give them time. i feel they will be great with some age.
    How much age are you thinking? My thought was somewhere in the 3-5 year range would smooth and meld the flavors considerably while allowing the cigar to retain its potency. I have a mazo of 25 laid down for that express purpose, I'm planning on pulling the first one out around the 2.5 year mark.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    There just aren't many cigars in the world that are better than these, imho.

that is all.
    Good to know! - I just got 10 El Martillos today!
    I'll let them sit for a few months....if I'm "strong" enough maybe I can save 5 or so for a few years.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    How much age are you thinking? My thought was somewhere in the 3-5 year range would smooth and meld the flavors considerably while allowing the cigar to retain its potency. I have a mazo of 25 laid down for that express purpose, I'm planning on pulling the first one out around the 2.5 year mark.
    if i was to lay a box down i would do 25% for 2.5 years. 25% for 5 years and the remaining 50% for 8 - 10 years.
    seriously.
    they can handle it.
  • grannejagranneja Posts: 382
    They are fantastic cigars in my opinion. I tried one in a bomb sent by a botl. It got me hooked.
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    if i was to lay a box down i would do 25% for 2.5 years. 25% for 5 years and the remaining 50% for 8 - 10 years.
    seriously.
    they can handle it.
    I have enough of em to do this... but I love them ROTT... the longest rest any that I've ever had has been about 4 months. Maybe I like the freshness and stand out nature of the flavors? I would love to lay some down for years, but I would hate to smoke one in 5 years and end up wishing it still tasted fresh... just being honest.

I will lay down a 5 pack of em and smoke one at each year mark to see how I like it... hopefully it will be everything I hope it will be. I know you guys have a LOT more experience than I do when it comes to aging sticks, and I trust your opinions, so I will give it a shot.
    they arent my cigars. i cant tell you what to do with them.

if you like em right off the truck, then smoke em.

i like to age a lot of cigars because one of the first things that happens is that many of the spice/harsh elements fade some.
    i like strong cigars but i am not a huge fan of spice (only in moderation). if you age a few years you can have a strong not very spicy cigar.
    as it has been said many times: its all personal preference.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'm not very partial to maduros, but I do like this one. I just dug a full box out of a cooler that has a little over a year on it. Not what I would call age, but at least they're well rested.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    BigT - I'm with you on this one. I keep trying to age a few, guess I'll have to hide them somehow. They are GREAT. Seriously a top 5 for me, I feel like they are an excellent value. I always buy 'em when they come up on a deal too.
  • How do these compare to a MoW Ruination?
    bigmatt72:
    How do these compare to a MoW Ruination?
    very different if you ask me.

the JdN has a Darker (extra fermented) Corojo wrapper around a slightly modified original Antano blend. this makes it a bit sweeter and in my opinion a bit stronger but smoother (stronger tobacco but longer fermentation) than the original Antano. over all i would say the flavor is a sweet earth flavor with a hint of cream and in the finish it has a good amount of spice and sweet.

the runiation on the other hand has a Habano Ecuadorian wrapper that brings out some of the woodier sides of the Nicaraguan filler. there is a good roundness to this though with a spice that is black pepper in nature. it isnt overwhelming. the undertone to the cigar in my opinion is leather.

the blending styles are very different. this is a bit more "journey" on the ruination than on the dark corojo but i find that each puff is a bit more complex on the the JdN.

i hope that helps.
    kuzi16:
    bigmatt72:
    How do these compare to a MoW Ruination?
    very different if you ask me.

the JdN has a Darker (extra fermented) Corojo wrapper around a slightly modified original Antano blend. this makes it a bit sweeter and in my opinion a bit stronger but smoother (stronger tobacco but longer fermentation) than the original Antano. over all i would say the flavor is a sweet earth flavor with a hint of cream and in the finish it has a good amount of spice and sweet.

the runiation on the other hand has a Habano Ecuadorian wrapper that brings out some of the woodier sides of the Nicaraguan filler. there is a good roundness to this though with a spice that is black pepper in nature. it isnt overwhelming. the undertone to the cigar in my opinion is leather.

the blending styles are very different. this is a bit more "journey" on the ruination than on the dark corojo but i find that each puff is a bit more complex on the the JdN.

i hope that helps.
    +1 exactly what kuzi said. JdN DC and MoW Runi are 2 of my top 5 and I love em both. Different animals, though. But they are both animals! Full bodied with a LOT of character. The JdN DC reminds me of a LP no.9 much more so than a Runi...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Of all the dark corojos I've smoked I always have a hard time keeping the wrapper burning well. Seems like they need constant touch-ups. I've got some more getting older and hopefully that helps because I really like the flavors, I'm just easily frustrated with high maintenance burns.
    bigharpoon:
    Of all the dark corojos I've smoked I always have a hard time keeping the wrapper burning well. Seems like they need constant touch-ups. I've got some more getting older and hopefully that helps because I really like the flavors, I'm just easily frustrated with high maintenance burns.
    that's odd. I've never had that problem. I smoke a lot of oily cigars though. That's why I keep my smoking humi at 65%rh... Maybe your rh is too high?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    bigharpoon:
    that's odd. I've never had that problem. I smoke a lot of oily cigars though. That's why I keep my smoking humi at 65%rh... Maybe your rh is too high?
    Maybe, I keep it at 67-68. I think maybe I smoke too slow and some sticks are okay with that and some hover on the line of going out.
  • Thank you for your responses Kuzi and BigT, I had my first ruination the other night and really enjoyed it, and I'm glad the response was different flavor profiles but still an animal. So I will definitely be adding this animal to my rotation.
    bigharpoon:
    BigT06:
    bigharpoon:
    Maybe, I keep it at 67-68. I think maybe I smoke too slow and some sticks are okay with that and some hover on the line of going out.
    well they are definitely very oily wrappers. I guess if you need to, you could dry box em first... If it's a common problem for you, I'd definitely drop your rh a couple percent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I bought a box but ended up giving or trading them all away before realizing what I did. Waiting on a deal for some of these bad boys on the sprint. They smell and feel delicious.
  • bigharpoon:

I had the same trouble with the Dark Corojos. Dry boxing overnight helped quite a bit. Unfortunately you had to plan when you wanted to smoke one. Just for reference I keep my cooler at 65 % so it's not RH.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Just had my first one - only rested 9 days - and they are quite awesome