Home Cigar 101

To Punch or Not To Punch.....That is the question.

greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
It has probabably been covered here before, I am just too lazy to search for it. Do you punch, cut, v-cut, saw, filet or chew the cap off. Personally, I have been punching. I figured that I might be missing something. Your replies and reasoning will be appreciated.

Comments

• BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/33539/ShowThread.aspx...so Kuzi doesn't have to do all the work around here. I prefer the punch as I am not as great a cutter and tend to go to little or too much and thus end up cutting multiple times, which infuriates me for some reason.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, prefer the punch. I hate constantly spitting little bits of tobacco that I always seem to get with any kind of a cutter. A cutter is definitely a last resort for me.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    V-cutter (Wolf) - love it - use it 80% of the time - if one cut isn't enough, I do a double at 90 degrees
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a double guillotine. Just tried a punch for the first time today. Think I need more practice didn't turn out like I thought it would. I had to pry the little Chad off the head of the cap. I expected it to be left in the cutter. Maybe I didn't go deep enough.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/33539/ShowThread.aspx...so Kuzi doesn't have to do all the work around here. I prefer the punch as I am not as great a cutter and tend to go to little or too much and thus end up cutting multiple times, which infuriates me for some reason.
    wow...thats an old thread.

ive switched... i almost exclusively use a double guillotine now.

punch isnt bad but i like the more diffused smoke that i get with a bigger opening. i get that with the Xi2.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    im stuck on xikar cutters i use the xi3 or the v cutter at home and the ultra slim when im out and about.

the only time i use a punch is when im camping/backpacking. i use the punch thats on the lighter
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Bombay:

punch isnt bad but i like the more diffused smoke that i get with a bigger opening. i get that with the Xi2.
    Same, I used to punch almost everything when I first started though.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a bit of a science to it as Kuzi stated above, but I don't think that is the real issue. I think it is more personal preference than anything really. I prefer a punch when I can use it (not a "torpedo" tip) because I enjoy the taste and tingle of the tobacco on my tongue without getting the tobacco bits in my mouth (I call them scoobs). However the punch that I have is a hand made one I got up in Estes Park on my wedding day and its a smaller gauge punch. I had the pleasure of using the Xikar 009 punch when FTG and I herf'd this past Friday and absolutely LOVED it because it was a very large ring gauge punch that didn't choke the draw as mine tends to do with the larger gauge cigars. Any type of "torpedo" tip (Kuzi, is it called preferado or belicoso when it is a "torpedo" tip??) I use the Xikar Xi double guillotine cutter on since a punch won't work in that scenario. A tip for the people just starting to try a punch... I have found that if I "punch" in deeper than I think is necessary I do not have to pick the cap plug off as it comes out on its own and in my experience only, has not in any noticeable way disturbed the cigar or smoke.

Greg, on a side note, when we herf in the coming weeks (if you have the time that is) I'll bring both a punch and cutter with the appropriate sticks (at least one torpedo and one triple capped stick) for you to try and see what you like better. And don't worry about bringing any smokes.... I owe you some pain anyways my friend :D --Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    I used to be a punch man, but as time went on its all cutter. Just prefer it for the draw. Just my .02 cents.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I am a double guillotine man myself but my boy Silverfox is high on the punch.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Double guillotine for me. But I do have to add that before I got a nice one I used to prefer a punch. My father in Law got me the Colibri Diesel cutter that CCom carries and its the best one I've ever had (never used a xikar). The thing with Double Guillotines is, and as dumb as it sounds, having a sharp one makes a huge difference.
  • xikar folding cutter for me. Never fails me. I will try a punch one of these days and the V
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Rarely use a punch, personally. I use my XiKar scissors almost exclusively now, because I find I have more control with that cutter than any other cutter I own (someday I will start a "Post a pic of your accessories" thread...)
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    As 90+ said, i loves me my .009 punch.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Bombay:

+1 and for the same reasons Kuzi listed plus less tar build up which can lead to off flavors. I even sometimes re-clip a tad off to "freshen" the head if things get real bad. Doesn't happen often but some times it is necessary to maximize flavor/enjoyment. Xikar also has great customer service and stands behind their products so a big-ups to them for that. It is my go-to brand for my cigar cutting needs.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    CAcigarguy007:
    kuzi16:
    Bombay:

+1 and for the same reasons Kuzi listed plus less tar build up which can lead to off flavors. I even sometimes re-clip a tad off to "freshen" the head if things get real bad. Doesn't happen often but some times it is necessary to maximize flavor/enjoyment. Xikar also has great customer service and stands behind their products so a big-ups to them for that. It is my go-to brand for my cigar cutting needs.
    agreed on Xikar... i still have a 007 punch. i use it from time to time but i have cut back on that since i took it off they keychain. i find it gets mangled if i leave it on there. i had to replace it twice because of the haphazard way that i treat my keys.
    the Xi2 just stays in my pocket all the time now.
    i still have love for the punch, but the double guillotine is now my first choice.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I used a punch today on both of my cigars. Found they burned more even. Might just be me. I like it more than my cutter.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • I always cut. picked up the Xikar keychain scissors. best purchase, never with out my cutter, screwdriver or bottler opener? Solid.
    Just tried a punch for the 2nd time . This time it worked real well don't know what Gage it was , I didn't even know there were different gages.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I go through phases... In the past, I used my Xi 007 Punch basically because it was my best option... Then I happened upon a Xi 009 punch which is great for bigger RGs... I had a few DG cutters, but they were crappy plastic jobs with dull blades... Then I got my hands on an Xi Cutter... So apparently I am an Xikar ****... but I love the cuts I get, I love the look of them and I love the customer service...

I find that i use the 007 Punch and Xi Cutter the most... the 009 is collecting dust right now cuz I am on a smaller RG kick... lots of corona's in my rotation right now...

The next accessory on my list is a V cutter... seen lots of chatter about them on here lately, so I'm gonna look for one on the sprintsale... I saw on on there the other day, so I know they're in the rotation...

so, long answer long, when i have the option I punch... It's cleaner and is a perfect cut every time...
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Xi3 Beachwood for all intensive purposes. I will occasionally borrow/use my punch, but I never seem to remember to bring it.
    robbyras:
    I go through phases... In the past, I used my Xi 007 Punch basically because it was my best option... Then I happened upon a Xi 009 punch which is great for bigger RGs... I had a few DG cutters, but they were crappy plastic jobs with dull blades... Then I got my hands on an Xi Cutter... So apparently I am an Xikar ****... but I love the cuts I get, I love the look of them and I love the customer service...

I find that i use the 007 Punch and Xi Cutter the most... the 009 is collecting dust right now cuz I am on a smaller RG kick... lots of corona's in my rotation right now...

The next accessory on my list is a V cutter... seen lots of chatter about them on here lately, so I'm gonna look for one on the sprintsale... I saw on on there the other day, so I know they're in the rotation...

so, long answer long, when i have the option I punch... It's cleaner and is a perfect cut every time...
    Rob, you probably already know this, but in case you didn't, Xikar also sells a V-Cutter as well. Tried it for the first time a few days ago... works well and lets a great draw develop, just seems to cut a good chunk out of it in my opinion.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    robbyras:

Rob, you probably already know this, but in case you didn't, Xikar also sells a V-Cutter as well. Tried it for the first time a few days ago... works well and lets a great draw develop, just seems to cut a good chunk out of it in my opinion.
    Yeah, I think that's the one on the Sprintsale... I'm watching for it now... I'm at my computer all say so I keep a separate window open for the sprint sale... I shrink it down in the bottom right corner... it's like the bottom line on espn... always something goin on... Although I sis just buy some Tat Havana's for $34 and they told me they were sold out... not sure what that's about... it was my first attempt to purchase anything there...

anyway.. thanks for the heads up!
    No worries buddy, and btw slick pics you put up in the smoking pics thread. I know I'm gonna regret asking this but what is a PSD4 (haven't looked up the name in the thread yet, headed to do that in a sec) and what's the allure. Obviously haven't had any yet lol
    I'm really starting to like the punch might have to look for one with a bigger Gage now.
    If you want an opinion the 009 from Xikar is simply friggin PERFECT... I promise you would not be disapointed.
    90+ Irishman:
    If you want an opinion the 009 from Xikar is simply friggin PERFECT... I promise you would not be disapointed.
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks for input.
    90+ Irishman:
    No worries buddy, and btw slick pics you put up in the smoking pics thread. I know I'm gonna regret asking this but what is a PSD4 (haven't looked up the name in the thread yet, headed to do that in a sec) and what's the allure. Obviously haven't had any yet lol
    my bad... just say this... Partagas Serie D #4... pretty poplar ISOM
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Posts: 325
    Depends on the cigar and how I feel. Smaller RG's always cut. 60 or plus I usually a double punch like an 8 and sometimes on smaller RGs I use cigar scissors as well.
    robbyras:
    90+ Irishman:
    my bad... just say this... Partagas Serie D #4... pretty poplar ISOM
    Ahh gotcha, and i don't know what the ISOM stands for, but I do know it means Cuba origin correct? And yeah, haven't tried the PSD4 yet, but I do have a Cifuentes Partagas 1845 oscuro that has my name on it for tomorrow :D