Home Cigar 101

Fan for my cooler...?

CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
What are some recommendations on a cheap battery operated fan that I can place in my cooler. I tried one of my twins stroller fans yesterday and within 6 hrs the battery had ran out. So obviously that isn't going to work. I just want to get a little air movement in there to make sure the humidity is distributed evenly, and bring the temps down a tad.

Comments

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I've always had good luck with Oust fans. They can be found for a not too awful price on eBay and Amazon.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    What are some recommendations on a cheap battery operated fan that I can place in my cooler. I tried one of my twins stroller fans yesterday and within 6 hrs the battery had ran out. So obviously that isn't going to work. I just want to get a little air movement in there to make sure the humidity is distributed evenly, and bring the temps down a tad.

If you're mechanically inclined and have some basic tools, I can give you some suggestions on how to modify your stroller fan so you can plug it into a wall outlet and even run it on a timer, if you like. Converting from battery to plug-in might require some basic soldering skills/tools, depending. If you want to find out more, shoot me a PM.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I just use a power supply from an old wireless phone and a computer fan.
    Ran the wiring out the back of the cooler and have an on off switch on the top of the cooler.
    Took about an hour from planning to purchase to completion.

Might upgrade it to something else soon.

stephen_hannibal:
    I just use a power supply from an old wireless phone and a computer fan.
    Ran the wiring out the back of the cooler and have an on off switch on the top of the cooler.
    Took about an hour from planning to purchase to completion.

Might upgrade it to something else soon.

Yup! That'll work, too. Now just plug the power supply into a 110V timer and you're good to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    At what size cooler does it make sense to use a fan? 50qt and above? 75 qt and above? Etc...
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips...how long do the oust fans last on battery? I can do the basic jobs when it comes to electricity, but I had thought I could run an extension cord through the drain spout, the from there not sure what to plug the hole up with to make it air tight again. PM sent for the timer info, I'd like to hear more about that...
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    james40:
    At what size cooler does it make sense to use a fan? 50qt and above? 75 qt and above? Etc...
    I've wondered the same... i'm currently rockin a 55 QT... should I have a fan goin?
    CvilleE:
    Thanks for the tips...how long do the oust fans last on battery? I can do the basic jobs when it comes to electricity, but I had thought I could run an extension cord through the drain spout, the from there not sure what to plug the hole up with to make it air tight again. PM sent for the timer info, I'd like to hear more about that...

PM replied....
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Guys a fan will never hurt....I personally don't have one in my 50 quart but it wouldnt be a bad idea...is it necessary, no....I think once you get bigger than that yes it is...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've always wanted a fan... But then, I used to lose sleep over beetles and mold, I used to rotate my sticks every month, I used to worry about any temps over 70*F, I used to not waiver a single PERCENT from 65%Rh....

But it's like kids...
    Once you've had one and freaked out over it, the next one you are a lot less protective, and the third one you let chew on the walls...

When I used to fret on them I've had a worse smoking experience (beetles, burn issues, taste etc.) then now when weeks will go by before I check the hygrometer and if it dips below ~62% then I add water.... meh
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I've always wanted a fan... But then, I used to lose sleep over beetles and mold, I used to rotate my sticks every month, I used to worry about any temps over 70*F, I used to not waiver a single PERCENT from 65%Rh....

But it's like kids...
    Once you've had one and freaked out over it, the next one you are a lot less protective, and the third one you let chew on the walls...

When I used to fret on them I've had a worse smoking experience (beetles, burn issues, taste etc.) then now when weeks will go by before I check the hygrometer and if it dips below ~62% then I add water.... meh
    Interesting....so did u ever have happen the bad things we sweat over????? I have 4 kids so I know what it's like to let them live and learn....got 2 year old twins that color in their closet till hey get old enough to keep paint....just curious...
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I just caved in and bought some beads...ConservaGel...3/4lb for my 48qt cooler and 1/4lb for my versailles humidor.
    CvilleE:
    Lasabar:

But it's like kids...

Interesting....so did u ever have happen the bad things we sweat over????? I have 4 kids so I know what it's like to let them live and learn....got 2 year old twins that color in their closet till hey get old enough to keep paint....just curious...
    The only bad thing that has ever happened was my own fault... I lived in an apartment with no central a/c and I was too lazy to put the window unit in and it got over 95*F in my humi and all that happened (I caught it about 1.5 weeks later, maybe longer) is two sticks got beetles. All I did was freeze my whole stash and haven't looked back since.

I do believe the main culprit was my Rh AND temp went crazy for two days to hatch the fuckerss, but also, the one stick that started it all was a NON-Cello'd stick from a crappy B&M that had a beetle problem to begin with (I noticed holes on a couple of their sticks)

I honestly believe that if I didn't have the one stick, I would have seen no beetles and be happy.

I do check them once a week, but I have two separate humid and only one Hygrometer, I just switch it back and forth each week.

Keep in mind, some guys dry box their cigars for a few days before smoking, so one week at an RH that is a little bit off, ain't gonna hurt!
    Also, a theory too:

I've noticed my smoking experience to be BETTER when I don't fret. The way I look at it, whether it's at 64% Rh or 70% Rh, cigars like things gradual... So if I go ape shitt and always add or subtract moisture and stuff, then the full, COMPLETE cigar is getting mixed signals and the cigar in it's entirety could be tainted. If I let it sit, even at 63%Rh for a few weeks it will be completely 63%Rh, not mixed and will still be quite tasty. I have learned that any DRASTIC changes to my stash requires ample time to recover to be awesome again!