Home Non Cigar Related

Diets + workouts

Guys, I'm a fat blob at 230lbs. I'm hitting the gym again but have come to realize that I'm not going to really change my body shape unless I change my diet. Anyone have a good meal plan? Right now, I have the following in use/planned:

Breakfast
Cottage chesse with fruit
Oatmeal with granola

Snack
Almonds, unsalted

Lunch
Sandwich but would like to move to a protein (chicken)

Snack
Nutrition bar (was using VPX Zero impact but quit due to all the mold problems)

Dinner
chicken/fish with vegetables

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    This sounds like An ENFIDL Thread.
    Whenever we've hung out he's always talking about tire flips lol.
    He should have some insight on this one.

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    you have a nice start to your diet. mix it up a bit though, maybe some meats some times. You need to make sure your calories are at least 1500. if you take less you may not see much improvement, however you also want to make sure you are burning more calories than you intake when working out.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables....
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Diamondog:
    Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables....
    Correction: raw vegetables.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    As far meal plans go they are very subjective as everyone is different. One big key to success is to not go overboard on working out or dieting.

When it comes to food. Listen to your body. There will be times it's craving fruit or veggies or whatever and when it does give it to it. For example there's time my body screams at me for some naturally occuring sugars. I usually will grab a Naked drink and get some good sugars and antioxidants in my body. What I do when it comes to eating is I eat on a schedule. Every 4 hours is a meal. By doing such my meals are smaller and I snack in between. Things like Kashi fruit bars, fruit, etc. Make sure you cut out all high fructose corn syrup and also read all ingredients on your food. I mostly live by the rule of if I can't pronounce it I can't eat it. When it comes to carbs, they're your friend. That's where most of your energy comes from. It's all about good carbs. Brown Rice Vegetable Pasta, Spinach Fettuccine, etc are all great things to eat as you get good carbs plus veggies all in one. Plus almost everything that's low fat or fat free is a crappy product and won't do anything for your body. Make sure that the foods have good fats in them. They will do more for you than something fat free or low fat. Nuts and nut based products are a great example of that. I also have 1 day a week that is a designated fat day. Where I can eat cheese and have beer etc. Things that on the other 6 days I can't. And I can do it guilt free.

When it comes to working out make sure that you feed your body to do it. Don't get caught up on just lifting, or just doing cardio or just core strength. It takes a healthy mix to 1. keep progress going and 2. to keep your overall conditioning at a peak level. If something is hurting bad stop doing it. If you have cardio schedule but you feel like your core needs worked, work you core. Listening to your body is a huge key to success in physical fitness.

Sorry I know it's long but honestly it's the tip of the ice burg lol Hope that helps some
    stephen_hannibal:
    This sounds like An ENFIDL Thread.
    Whenever we've hung out he's always talking about tire flips lol.
    He should have some insight on this one.

Stephen's right I love me some tire work! Did the 500 pounder on wed 75 flips and jump throughs in 35/40 min. May not sound that fast but that's a total of 37,500 pounds worth of tire flipped in that time lol
    Oh and drink tea! Green tea is packed full of awesome and yerba mate is amazing as well! Tea will help keep your blood sugar levels stabilized which helps to keep from overeating. Yerba mate has the highest naturally occuring caffeine of any tea and is great. Tazo focus has black tea with yerba mate and citrus peel and some other stuff and it's great for a sustained energy boost.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nutrisystem - awesome stuff; you lose weight by diet alone; add a workout in, and you do even better
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Being in the service, I am constantly watching what I'm eating. I am 175 lbs...my max weight. And I can see abs and run all day!! Durnig a recent physical fitness exercise, I beat the young guys in their early-mid 20's. Someone in the watching crowd yelled "Don't let the old guy beat you!" LOL! That made me go faster! They didn't have a chance after that! Here is what I do...

Mon, Wed, & Frid...I'll run my butt off. Usually between 5 & 6 miles with plenty hills. Some days my heart feels like its gonna explode. Last Wed I was out running about 3 miles out and my nose started bleeding. When i got back, I was covered in blood. It looked like I got my ass kicked in a fight.

Tues, Thrus, Sat...I'll run about a mile to the gym. I'll alternate workouts - chest & tri's one day with back & bi's another day.

My diet is usually pretty simple...

Breakfast - almost always yogurt (low fat) w/granola. I'll kick it up with some fruit and almonds every now and then.

Lunch - I practice portion control and healty decisions. Like turkey, tuna, baked fish, a wrap or salad.

Dinner - is where it can fall apart. I try to cook and guide where my diet goes. I bake and grill lots of chicken or fish. I steam lots of veggies and try to minimize the pasta.

For a snack any time during the day, i'll eat pretzels. Sometimes i juice fruits and bring those with me.

Drink lots of water and get plenty sleep! Cutting back on calories is def gonna make you tired sooner.

Its gonna be tough!! But it feels good to know that you are in control of your life.

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Remember that your goal of "in shape" needs to be clear to you before you start...

my goals are very different than most, for example...

I am about 235-240 lbs right now depending on what part of the day I decide to weigh and see... BUT I am at my desired fitness level... I can run 5 miles without stopping, I can flat press 315lbs 20 times without stopping, I can leg press over 1000lbs, and I can dunk a basketball (don't laugh, that was always a goal of mine... I'm only about 5'10)...

I don't have rippling abs or anything, but I am where I want to be, and where my wife thinks I am the most attractive... Fitness to me is about a state of mind. As long as you are healthy, go after whatever your personal goals are.

If you are looking for simple diet advice, PM me, and I will send you the eating guide I used to loose 65lbs when I started going after my fitness goals.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Buy a kitchen scale, weigh out your portions. It's amazing the effect eating just single portions of food can have.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    When you listed what you were eating, you didnt mention what you were drinking. Make SURE you get your recommended daily intake of water. Its gonna feel like you're trying to drown yourself for a while because compared to what most folks drink in a given day (water or otherwise) its a LOT of fluid. However, it will make a big difference in your gains in muscle and losses in body fat. Plus you will be amazed at how much better you feel mentally AND physically when your system is properly hydrated.

Good luck to you!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    you also want to make sure you are burning more calories than you intake when working out.
    the classic "eat less move more" diet has worked for my wife very well. its not fun but it builds a better lifestyle. keep your diet round. you still need nutrients and a varied diet helps with that. look at dieting as a lifestyle change to something more healthy, not a temporary fix to lose weight.
  • I have taken a long term look at my fitness. I am 2 years in and still not at my goal yet, but I am always moving forward. It started just getting stronger and changing what I eat. Now crap going in makes my feel sick. Then I wanted to lose weight after feeling better in myself. So more cardio was added. Now I run marathons and halfs, tough mudders, trail marathons, and looking at tri's. If you looked at me you wouldn't think I was a runner because I still do weight trainging. You also wouldn't think I spend a ton of time in the gym because I don't. You cant see my abs, but I can run 26.2 miles then do some pretty good weight work.
    One thing I would say. If you are going to be running learn to run right. Sounds funny, but most people run weird and get hurt. I took about 3 months working on my "style" and now never hurt. Also once you have a few miles under your feet do speed work and hill work. 20-30 mins of high cardio is better than a lot of long slow runs. Less ware and tear and it burns the same amount of cals.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    you also want to make sure you are burning more calories than you intake when working out.
    the classic "eat less move more" diet has worked for my wife very well. its not fun but it builds a better lifestyle. keep your diet round. you still need nutrients and a varied diet helps with that. look at dieting as a lifestyle change to something more healthy, not a temporary fix to lose weight.

Thats the Ticket , joied back upo in a gym last week, got me a personal trainer and Im ready for round one , goal drop 25 lbs , climb Mt Shast in July... Live longer... Rock n roll