Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Bsneed51Bsneed51 Posts: 22

madurofan:
    the 06 is good but its not the 03 ... would you be interested in a possible trade for one or two of those tat blacks?

Unfortunately I did a group split on the blacks so I'm only actually keeping 5 of them for myself.  After I smoke one I might want to trade my other 4, but doubtful.   I know Pete has said that so far only 445 of the projects 1000 jars has been released, so there will still be many more available.  I am going to try and buy another jar if I find one.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Let me know if you do and I'll go in on the split with you. I'll PM you my phone # so you can call me if its a need to do it right now type of thing.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    First, Bsneed51 welcome to the Forum. Second, I have been trying to land some Tat blacks, so if you need or want another person to go in, I will volunteer.

wasserloos...welcome to the Forum. Nice to have someone here from Japan.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bsneed, first off welcome to the family. Secondly Darn You ! I never heard of Tatuaje, and now I must try them. Which normally means trying everything in the line. I see they are sold right here which makes getting them easy enough, but these are some pricey smokes. I hope I like them. Maybe I will get one high end and one lower to compare.
  • wasserlooswasserloos Posts: 2
    kuzi16:
    wasserloos:
    So its time to welcome another newbie to this spectacular site. I have been calling myself a newbie for a few weeks now... yes that is right, a fresh, innocent cigar smoker of 3 weeks. Since my first smoke action I have been addicted. I must say that I have been around cigars for a long time, but it was only till 3 weeks ago that I was introduced to the finer point of cigars. My palette cannot get enough of them. That’s all for now... happy smoking! Dave
    I see by your avitar that you are into the scuba thing. Xikar makes a cigar case thats water tight down to 125ft. good luck smoking it down there.
    THAT IS COOL... MAYBE THEY MIGHT MAKE A CIGAR THAT COULD BE SMOKED UNDERWATER! OR IS IT FOR TRAVELLING TO AND FROM YOUR UNDERWATER RETREAT? HMMM... INTERESTING!
  • tobacmontobacmon Posts: 1

I am a memeber of a couple of forums. I enjoy having a good cigar now and then. I also enjoy seeing what others think and feel about all the aspects of cigar smoking. I have smoked cigars for 10-15 years and have found many new blends after joining forums. Some of my hobbies are Golfing, bowling, and herfing with other fine B & SOTL. I look forward to meeting new people here and maybe fine some others I have met on other forums. thanks for having me.

Well welcome tobacmon. With fifteen years of experience you are sure to know a thing or three that you can share. Which brand do you find yourself most often picking up to enjoy? I find that I have more Patel, Fuentes and CAO stuff in my humidors but I am begining to gather a lot of new discoveries thanks to the many knowledgable people here. Check out the Whtcha smokin tonight thread and you will say Hey, I should try that. Gets me in trouble every day.
    Welcome tobacmon. Definetly looking forward to the words of wisdom from a veteran.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im a newbie forever.
    there are always new cigars out there. I also always claimed that my cigar catalog is for newbies. For newbies, by a newbie. ... always learning
  • RushNRushN Posts: 7
    Hey guys my name is Dan, I'm from Jersey. This seems like a very welcoming and insightful group, not to mention young too. I've always liked cigars but I just got a very nice humidor of my own and I am embarking on a journey to find my very favorites to stock it with. I've tried a few very nice cigars, my favorite (so far) being the Ashton VSG Robusto. If there is anything similar or superior to that, if thats possible, please share your thoughts I'm eager to explore.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Welcome to forum Rush....
    RushN: even if there wasnt anyting better than that cigar would you want to smoke the same cigar all the time? I wouldnt. welcome
  • Always happy to see more new folks in the cigar smoking world.
    Two additional comments:
    1) Instead of hunting for cigar stores when you travel bring your own. Buy a small travel humidor or just a put few sticks in a plastic bag with the humi-paks that CCOM send with your orders.
    2) Now that you're beginning to enjoy cigars perhaps you should combine your new activity with another one-horse racing. Go to your local track and have fun!
    P.S. The Belmont is this Saturday and you may see horse racing history if Big Brown wins the Triple Crown.
    tripledeadheat, First, Welcome aboard. Second, to me a good part of the fun in cigar smoking is the people you meet along the way. I usually carry a few sticks with me in case I don't run across a good B&M, however, if I like the B&M I'd rather support them. Finally, I'm not a big race fan but I'll be watching the Belmont to see history. However, I won't be betting, one vice is plenty for me :)
    Hey Rush ! Welcome to the group. Good luck in your search for your favorite, I have been trying for fifteen years. There is always something great that I have yet to try. You will find a number that you keep returning to, but like kuzi says, who would want to stop the search ? Ashtons are great , along that same line are one of my favorites Avo, and one that a lot of others don't talk about Griffins. Nice to hear from you.
  • Mikey TMikey T Posts: 3
    Hello to all! Mikey T here. Just joined the forum this evening ... looking forward to interacting with other enthusiasts. I've been a cigar.com customer since 2/07 ... great prices, fast shipping ... excellent selection. Don't be afraid to try the house brands ... Brazilian is my latest favorite. Mikey T
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Alright Mikey T! Welcome aboard!
    Hey Mikey T welcome aboard. The house blends are popular on here. Good everyday smokes.
  • RushNRushN Posts: 7
    I hear you about smoking the same cigar all the time(Kuzi), I would definetly get bored if that were the case...just looking for those exceptional few to load my humidor with and just let them sit and mellow out over some time....thanks for the welcome everyone!
    i have a very wide veriety all the time in my humidor. Im a bit more selective when it comes to the aging humidors.
    Hey Mikey, Welcome to the party ! Stick around awhile, you will have a great time. There is a lot to be learned right here. Also, don't be afraid to pick up some samplers. You will find a new favorites every time.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Hi, everybody.  I just posted to a couple of threads before seeing this one, but, you know, better late than never.

I'm just getting back into cigars after going smokeless for . . . oh, 8-10 years.  I came to cigars initially by way of pipes.  When I was a very small boy, my father was a part-time preacher at a little country church in Missouri.  There was a very beloved older gentleman there, who smoked a pipe.  He used to sit with me on the edge of the porch at the front of the church and tell me stories while he smoked.  I don't remember any of the stories, but I remember Mr. Paul (that was his first name, but everybody called him Mr. Paul) and I remember the smell of that pipe.

Fastforward roughly 25 yrs., and I was in grad school.  One of the other students -- an older guy -- smoked a pipe.  It was the first time I'd been around pipe smoke since those Sundays with Mr. Paul.  Of course, I was instantly hooked.

I sort of transitioned to cigars because a) they're much easier to smoke, and b) a man my age (even now, but especially then) can't really smoke a pipe in a public place without appearing to be a self-important fathead.  Eventually, I found a cigar I liked as much as a pipe -- the Fuente Hemingway -- and I've hardly touched my pipes, since.

Anyway, then I stopped smoking altogether for about 10 yrs., and now I'm back.  And that's all I have to say about that.  /forrest gump
    Hey Urbino , welcome to the group. You chose a great cigar with the Hemingway Series. Which is your favorite in that group ? It's hard to pick a favorite for me but the ones I have most often , ( or as often as I can ) are the classic and signature and Short story... I Have never tried Betwen the Lines or Untold Story mostly because of the 30.00 buck price.. It is a special occasion cigar for me. Read some threads and try some new cigars that you read about. I have found a LOT of new great cigars based on the posts of the many knowledgable members of this brotherhood.
    Thanks, kaspera! (BTW, I'm jealous of your proximity to the great Iwan Ries, especially as a former and still occasional pipe smoker. I still have some of their 3-star blends around the house, somewhere.) I love the Classic. It's the perfect size for me. The Signature, which I like very much, too, is gone just the tiniest wee bit too soon. The Masterpiece is, well, a masterpiece, but I rarely have time to smoke one. I've actually never tried the Short Story (or the Best Seller), but I will one of these days. And ditto on the BTL and Untold Story. I've just never been able to convince myself they'd be that much better than a Classic or Masterpiece. I'm definitely interested in reading what everybody else is smoking. In fact, let's start with you. As a fellow Hemingway fan, what else have you had that you find similar?
    Since I don't smoke the Hemingway line on a very regular basis the only similar cigars that come to mind would be the Ashton VSG, the Padron 1964 has a lot of qualities I enjoy in the Hemingway, and of course the Don Carlos and Opus X. again rarely spending much time in my humidors but occasionally finding their way into my hand. The Fuentes I have most often and buy by the box are Double Chateau, Chateau, ( for a quick smoke ) 858 Maduro, and a long time favorite Bauza by Fuentes. Montesino by Fuentes was my first cigar and still keep these in my humidor. Ashtons but not as much, along with the stronger blends of The Griffins and another favorite Avo..the list goes on .. Different smokes for different nights. or company for that matter. Ther guys in this group have me trying new cigars so often I have a difficult time deciding which I should reorder and which can wait a while. A nice problem to have.
    I tried the Don Carlos and didn't like it as well. Never had the OpusX or the VSG. The Padron is a fine smoke, but muddier in flavor than the Hemingway, I thought. I'm pretty sure I tried the 858 and the Chateau, back when I first started trying cigars, but it's been so long ago and I was so green at the time, I don't really remember them. I definitely need to try them again. I think I had a Montesino back then, too. Same story. The others I don't think I've ever tried. I'll definitely add them to my list. Once I get a stock kinda built up, I'll start participating in the trades, etc. Thanks!
    Yeah, the Hemingway line is hard to match which is the beauty of all the different blends available. Similar but different. And while you may like a coffee taste others prefer a nutty or woody taste. I personally like them all ! I still enjoy everything from the mild to extra strength. It all depends on my mood when I look into the treasure chest. I like your description of the Padron being muddier not in a bad way but so much going on in the taste that it is hard to define what the characteristics are.
    Yeah, that's what I meant about the Padron. There's a lot going on in both cigars, but the Hemingway seems to have a clarity that the Padron doesn't. (I'm not very good at descriptions of cigars. I can taste differences and say, "Yes, I like this one, but that one not so much," but I can't say any of them taste of leather or hazelnuts or cranberry frappe to me. I'm the same way with literature.)
    And while we're talking about Hemingways, btw, what's up with the wildly varying prices? For example, one site will list boxes of Classics at, say, $250 ea. and even then be sold out, while another site lists the same box of Classics for, say, $175 and still has them in stock. From a supply/demand perspective, that makes no sense. Are there a lot of counterfeit Hemingways out there or something? (Like I said, I've been away from cigars for 10 yrs.)
    Ther are a few places I buy my cigars from including right here. I am a member of the cigar of the month club and one of the perks is 10% off. Shipping is reasonable and on line there are no sales tax since I don't live in that state. So it works out for me. I imagine you can get cigars cheaper somewhere but the way that Cigars.com does business can not be beat. The condition of the product, customer service, rapid delivery, every aspect of the business is first class. And besides why go outside the family ? I have not heard about counterfeit cigars and know they would never be sold here.