Home Cigar 101

Another New guy With a question or two

taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
Hey, my name is Gibs (im on a few jeep forums under the same username) and im a "young-in" I have had a few cigars over the last two or so years, and I had my first on my 19th birthday. I don't smoke cigarettes, but i've had a pipe or two, and carved out a pipe but haven't gotten to try it out yet. I was getting my Cigars from Sosa Family Cigars in orlando but have since moved back to NWGA; I always went off of the recommendations of the guys at Sosas and never kept any for more than a couple of hours after purchase so storage was never an issue for me. I have gotten and enjoyed several including, what was probably my favorite, the Playboy by Don Diego which i have gotten twice. I don't have a refined palate but im trying to work on it. My problem is that my significant other has asthma so i can not smoke around her and so i only want to keep a small stock of cigars on hand. Have any of you guys been in a similar situation and how did you go about not effecting their asthma? I stumbled upon this awesome site by following a link to the "CAO stocking stuffer" (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1083) which i jumped on and am eagerly awaiting! For now im going to be using a modified ammo box lined with cedar For a humidor, I dont plan on these lasting too long so I wont be too picky on the humidity, I have some gel that I will be using. I guess im kinda out of the norm here being a college kid but do you guys have any recommendations for low cost cigars? thanks for the help and all of the info here on the forum, I hope to learn a lot!

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi brother welcome to the forums. You will find a ton of info on here but for now unless this ammo box has a good seal and is able to hold humidity well and has not been used to store anything that may cause odors or has an odor itself I wouldn't use it. I'd recomend getting" a new"Tupperware bowl or a ziplock Baggie and some water pillows until you can get a proper humi or just keep them in a tupperware bowl the main thing is that it will hold humidity. Of course wash it out first to get the plastic smell out
    . As for the wife's asthma smoke outside if your worried about smoke sticking to you and triggering an attack wear some kind of smoking jacket and a hat, should do the trick.
    If you hang around here long enough you will learn fast and before you know it your little stash is gonna grow if you do get a humi always think bigger. It's almost guaranteed that anything less than a 50 count will be to small real quick.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I washed the can out and it has a nice rubber gasket up top that shuts it well, but i read about using coolers? i have a small, think 16 quart, coleman cooler that i could use if needed (had to get some auto work done so im broke at the moment, also have one 2-3 times bigger but its too big). I dont see myself being able to fill up a 50 ct humidor, although i would love to have one. I only smoke outside, i dont smoke in the cars or in the house, and i only average about once a week at most. I've been reading everything i cam find on here for the last several hours and i feel like i might actually know something about cigars now!
    and ive kept reading, hate to say it but ive found so many cigars i want to try... i dont really want to go with the cheapo thing of gel i have right now, im going to get some brand name stuff, and my cigars should be in today!! "Your item is out for delivery at 7:58 am on November 19, 2011 in CHICKAMAUGA, GA. "
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The C.com lables are a good place to start, and at a great price point.
    What are you studying?
    One God, One Truth
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Gibs, welcome brother. As you know, you'll find just about everything you need to know here, and if you can't, just ask. Someone here will gladly help you out. For starters, I've heard the cigar.com brand labels are good as well. But haven't tried them yet. I've not had much luck with the cheaper Gurkhas, but have had good smokes from 5 Vegas (brand name, not very expensive). Look at the variety samplers on this site. Several good deals. Got my eyes on the dirty dozen one right now. You can find some great cigars for $3 apiece. That size cooler should work great starting out. I imagine you could get up to 50 sticks in there. See the thread "coolidor." I just got a smaller one set up following the tips there. BTW, my son and I toured the Chickamauga battlefield a few months back. It was great. We drooled walking through that gun collection!!
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    The "smoking outift" suggestion is a good one, given your situation.
    I have a baggy pair of heavy sweat pants, and a big old heavy sweat shirt that I wear most of the time when I smoke outside around the house. These sweats stay outside in my shed, and get washed every couple days, or as needed.
    When I smoke, I try not to let the smoke "hit" me too much as I'm puffing.

roland_7707:
    The C.com lables are a good place to start, and at a great price point.
    What are you studying?

Currently im studying to be an Agriculture ed teacher

bdmauk24:
    Gibs, welcome brother. As you know, you'll find just about everything you need to know here, and if you can't, just ask. Someone here will gladly help you out. For starters, I've heard the cigar.com brand labels are good as well. But haven't tried them yet. I've not had much luck with the cheaper Gurkhas, but have had good smokes from 5 Vegas (brand name, not very expensive). Look at the variety samplers on this site. Several good deals. Got my eyes on the dirty dozen one right now. You can find some great cigars for $3 apiece. That size cooler should work great starting out. I imagine you could get up to 50 sticks in there. See the thread "coolidor." I just got a smaller one set up following the tips there. BTW, my son and I toured the Chickamauga battlefield a few months back. It was great. We drooled walking through that gun collection!!

I love going bike riding in the battlefield, although its been a while because the rear gear on my bike locked up sending me over the handlebars....i have been eyeing a few samplers but i guess i gotta get my coolidor setup first

KingoftheCove:
    The "smoking outift" suggestion is a good one, given your situation.
    I have a baggy pair of heavy sweat pants, and a big old heavy sweat shirt that I wear most of the time when I smoke outside around the house. These sweats stay outside in my shed, and get washed every couple days, or as needed.
    When I smoke, I try not to let the smoke "hit" me too much as I'm puffing.

I try my best to smoke with the wind blowing into my back and my clothes make their way straight to the washer, i somehow read over it earlier but im not married yet(although i often refer to her as the wife). for now she is just the girlfriend, but her health means a lot to me (yeah im saying that while talking about smoking....)
    Thanks for all of the support guys! Where would you recommend buying a humidifier, and for the size should i go traditional/gel/or beads? (sorry for all of the questions but i want to do it right the first time and not ruin anything) Im diligently watching for the mail man!
    A very big percentage of us have to work our smoking around our wives/girlfriends that's the solution I came up with. And I to can rember when I bought my first humi , I got talked into a 50 count even though I knew that was going to be overkill and I'd never fill it. Now I'm working on filling my new 300 count humi.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Rhamlin:
    A very big percentage of us have to work our smoking around our wives/girlfriends that's the solution I came up with. And I to can rember when I bought my first humi , I got talked into a 50 count even though I knew that was going to be overkill and I'd never fill it. Now I'm working on filling my new 300 count humi.
    +1 Welcome aboard. This is some good advice. You mentioned a 50 count humi... I would go with the small cooler now, soon you will switch to the larger one. The fact that you don't smoke much now doesn't really matter. If you intend on contiueing to smoke then the large cooler is the way to go.

Most good sticks (cheap or not) with some age on it, where it was stored properly for a time will improve a LOT.

The beads are the way quite a few of us go. You can buy them rated for your preferred RH range and they are really cheap. The conservagel beads are half the price of the Heartfelt beads and work exactly the same.

You said you were doing some reading here? Keep it up, there is a TON of information here, and using the search feature you can find most of what you are looking for. Asking questions will always get you some answers as well. Good to have you aboard.
  • I got a 50 count a month ago. It barely closes now. Go big.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    StrongStyle:
    I got a 50 count a month ago. It barely closes now. Go big.
    +1 although it's nice to have a smaller humi for new sticks to help prevent any infestation problems.
    image its here! i need to go get some butane for the lighter though... any suggestions for which to smoke first (yeah, im being greedy)
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    My preference for them goes like this (from most liked to least liked): Brazillia, Italia, Mx2, Gold, Gold maddy.
    Just spent more on the coolidor than i have on the cigars and i dont yet have the beads...but it will hopefully be worth it! I decided to go with my gut and ive got the Black going. I had almost forgotten how relaxing this is. For what ive paid in the past this is amazing, i wish i would have stumbled upon cigar.com a long time ago. First of all it smells great, it is burning evenly , it tastes good, and is a lot smoother than most of what ive had in the past. I have a feeling that even if i dont post much ill be sticking around here for a while!
    Just wait till you taste a favorite stick after its been sitting for a few months. Awesome!
    Rhamlin:
    Just wait till you taste a favorite stick after its been sitting for a few months. Awesome!
    i bet but i havent had enough to have favorites yet. I dont know what it is but something about the taste is making me think of pretzels...
    image it is almost gone but this has been the best hour and a half ive had in a while. What do you more experienced guys think about something cheap like this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD139 or this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD160&stext=po boy to get my tastes better before i start getting good cigars?
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Glad you enjoyed it. Now put that Brazilian back for a few months. I hear its a mighty fine cigar. As for your question on that sampler, don't know those brands, the description doesn't sound too encouraging either. I smoked (well halfway) a cheapo this morning. Couldn't finish it. No taste, no smoke. Wrapper fell apart. From what I can tell, there's a big difference between the cheapos and those that you can get for just a tiny bit more.
    from what yall are saying the brazillian is a good one, maybe ill keep it for new years or if i have something to celebrate next year.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    image it is almost gone but this has been the best hour and a half ive had in a while. What do you more experienced guys think about something cheap like this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD139 or this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD160&stext=po boy to get my tastes better before i start getting good cigars?
    Theres an old saying, You get what you pay for and IMO those two are a perfect example...You'd be better off picking something off of the daily deal or talking to a rep, I cant see any reason to try those regardless of how much experience
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    taythegibs:
    Theres an old saying, You get what you pay for and IMO those two are a perfect example...You'd be better off picking something off of the daily deal or talking to a rep, I cant see any reason to try those regardless of how much experience
    also should not paste a competitors web info on a competitors site, not trying to be sheriff jj but i wouldnt do it to either site forums, although i frequent many other sites too,lol,, and yes contact a rep. on ccom and ask what kinda deal they can give you on what you may be looking for, you will be surprised i think , btw, i love the cao gold maduros
    sorry about that, im used to impartial sites where that wouldnt matter. I will be waiting to get anything else then, cant afford much right now and it wouldnt be worth the shipping on just a few cigars especially when i dont have the coolador working yet.
    If your a budget minded fellow like myself I got 3 recommendations for samplers. The freedom sampler, the CCOM 24 stick sampler, and the bottomless cup sampler. Can't go wrong with either of them. IMO.
    I finally got a chance to try another of the CAO's and i went with the MX2.... I was very disappointed with the construction of it. Towards the foot there were several soft spots and 'holes' in the filler, the middle of the body was ok and then towards the head was the opposite of the foot it was packed tight! The wrapper had several thick veins in it that i though was surprising after enjoying the Black.
    I cut the cap off and lit it with a match and tried to draw... the head was too tightly packed to get much of a draw at all...i fiddled with the MX2 and rolled the third at the head end between my fingers to try and loosen it (i was out and about so i couldn't look it up to see if there was a proper way to do so) by the time i could get a decent draw i had to relight.
    The burn was not even and the center didnt seem to burn much at all at the half centimeter by the foot and then the last couple of inches. The taste was meh at best the first half but then got better as i got into0 the second. I dont know if i just got a dud or what but i was NOT impressed at all by the MX2 which seems odd after reading several great reviews about it
    The cigar had been in my coolidor (averages 66-67% humidity and 68-71 degrees) since Nov. 21 and i had pulled it out about 45 min before i smoked it.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    HIGHLY recommend the Established 1844. Inexpensive, but extremely tasty. The Anejado 50 is a perfect size for cooler winter months.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Steve2010:
    HIGHLY recommend the Established 1844. Inexpensive, but extremely tasty. The Anejado 50 is a perfect size for cooler winter months.
    DBeckom gave me one of the 1844 at a herf event we went to and it was very good.
    Thanks for the replies guys, im finally getting a break in life so i decided to try the 'vr' moby and it is much better than the mx2 (is the mx just that bad of a cigar or did i get a dud?) i am looking into getting a couple of the established 1844's but im also looking into one of the ccom house samplers. thanks guys, this site has been a great help and i probably would have dumped the rest out after the mx2 had i not joined. I also am trying to exhale out my nose, but its not working too well; any tips?
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I will vouch for 1844, I really enjoyed the smoke and went through a box pretty quick. By the way, Welcome to the forum, I have not been here that long and I can tell you these guys are awesome with help, advice, reviews, and whatever else you might need.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    Thanks for the replies guys, im finally getting a break in life so i decided to try the 'vr' moby and it is much better than the mx2 (is the mx just that bad of a cigar or did i get a dud?) i am looking into getting a couple of the established 1844's but im also looking into one of the ccom house samplers. thanks guys, this site has been a great help and i probably would have dumped the rest out after the mx2 had i not joined. I also am trying to exhale out my nose, but its not working too well; any tips?
    I definately agree IMO the VR is much better than the MX2..
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Bucking W:
    I will vouch for 1844, I really enjoyed the smoke and went through a box pretty quick. By the way, Welcome to the forum, I have not been here that long and I can tell you these guys are awesome with help, advice, reviews, and whatever else you might need.
    +1. I like the 1844 as a go to cigar with fairly decent flavor and a big plus is the low cost.