Home Cigar 101

cigar high?

here's the situation. I'm a cigarette smoker and I know what a nicotine high feels like. Smoking a Churchill cigar about halfway down I start getting nauseous and a lot more dizzy than with a cigarette. People have used the term "cigar high." Toughs or comments? Maybe I should just smoke a smaller cigar.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe you should stop being a ***....

just kidding.
    it is a different type of nicotine delivery. the dose is stronger but given to you over a different amount of time and in a less direct fashion. it sneaks up on you.

dont feel too bad. it happens to the best of us.
    remeber, not smaller cigars, milder cigars.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I got kind of a rush the first time I smoked my first one
  • suggestions for a cigar? I've got a vincent sinclair sampler in my humidor now.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm going to ask the most obvious question given the info provided...you didn't inhale, did you?
  • no. I know that one.
    Ok, good job. For cigarette smokers, inhaling is just second nature.

For something on the mild side with good flavor, in my opinion Ashton is hard to beat. For something a bit less expensive, Sol Cubano Connecticut is good, Padilla Habano always a solid choice, Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne.
    And by the way, welcome to the forum.
  • thanks
  • I never had it happen until yesterday. Sat down at the b&m lit up a fine and rare. When i was done I stood up and felt woozy haha.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest a Punisher. A nice mild smoke.
    JK
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Rhamlin:
    JK
    Heh...good one. But on a serious note, have a sugar packet handy just in case. If you start to feel ill, dump it under your tongue. I smoked a JdN Dark Corojo with coffee on an empty stomach. My limbs went numb. Not recommended. The sugar packet helps.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Rhamlin:
    JK
    Heh...good one. But on a serious note, have a sugar packet handy just in case. If you start to feel ill, dump it under your tongue. I smoked a JdN Dark Corojo with coffee on an empty stomach. My limbs went numb. Not recommended. The sugar packet helps.
    I used to keep a Snicker Bar with me whenever I planned on smoking a Powerhouse. It helped out every time, and added to the flavor profile.
  • what are people's thoughts on cigarillos?
  • I'm not a big fan of cigarillos, but that's just me. Lots of folks like them. Give one a shot and see what you think.

As for the buzz, it happens to me very rarely, but man, do I enjoy it when it does, lol!
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    pawelwny1:
    what are people's thoughts on cigarillos?
    Its like going to an expensive restaurant and eating off the kids meal :) Bigger is better atleast IMHO but everyone has their own tastes and preferences.
    kaspera79:
    Steve2010:
    Rhamlin:
    JK
    I used to keep a Snicker Bar with me whenever I planned on smoking a Powerhouse. It helped out every time, and added to the flavor profile.
    I like that snicker bar idea, bet a snickers would go good with a maduro.
    Teege:
    pawelwny1:
    Its like going to an expensive restaurant and eating off the kids meal :) Bigger is better atleast IMHO but everyone has their own tastes and preferences.
    I've never tried any I really liked. I just don't like how they feel in my hand or when taking a draw maybe that affects how I always feel like they are lacking something.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    again, its not about the size of a cigar, it is about how powerful it is.
    you can have a very powerful small cigar. and you can have a very mild big cigar.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Steve2010:
    Rhamlin:
    JK
    When I got past the first third of my initial go-round with the JdN Dark Antano went something like this...

{blink blink blink}

This kind of feels like being high.

{puff puff puff}

Im DEFINITELY high! THIS ROCKS!!!!

{puff puff puff}

Im starting to feel junk sick - this is the opposite of THIS ROCKS!!!

Never made it to the halfway point with that smoke - out the window it went, was just too much for me. And to this day they are still like catching a tiger by the tail for me.

• that is exactly what im talking about. my first time with that i just thought id sleep it off. that didnt happen. then again i smoke cigarettes like crazy so this is something new.
  • jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    i never smoked at all till i had my first what i called a "good" cigar...still my favorite...a good cigar is nice to have...loved the flavors. best thing to do is find what you like and buy similar. i found out REAL quick being a non-smoker, you DO NOT want a full bodied cigar to begin with...just about everyone in my family has always smoked, ALOT. so i must be immune to it some because i prefer a medium bodied cigar. milds are good, but sometimes lack a bit....so now with the couple of bombs ive got from here...i research the cigars before smoking. if its a full bodied cigar, then i put it back in the humidor to age till maybe one day i'll be ready, if its a medium, i decide whether to smoke it or another one, hard to choose sometimes lol..

also, i like to find a size that works for me. a robusto is perfect or anything similar. the greatest thing to me AFTER smoking is to have that small "buzz" and be kicked back watching tv...so relaxing..so if you need any mild to medium cigar ideas that are good, im new but have found a few GREAT cigars that have flavor but wont punish you in the end lol
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Kind of an off topic reply but I sometimes get high off cigars. Not in the way the OP was talking about but I will get a rush of euphoria and excitment at the enjoyment I am having.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    pawelwny1:
    Welcome to the forum! Like what most people say, getting a nicotine buzz happens to the best of us, but especially if you're new. Try drinking a bit of juice, soda, or eat a candy bar while smoking a powerhouse cigar. It really helps your body out while dealing with the nicotine.

Also, cigarillos aren't bad. Most of them taste like the regular sized cigars. It's great for if you're short on time or if you're in a state (or country, in my case) that has brutal winters and you don't feel like freezing your butt off. If you're looking for recommendations, try out the Cohiba Red Dot or Cohiba Black pequenos, Winston Churchill Spitfire, Illusione Cuchillos, or the Padron Corticos.
  • can you elaborate on what a "powerhouse" cigar is? I think that might be key to the situation in my humidor.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The meal after the meal! Ah!
  • i asked a serious question. I don't think that was a serious answer.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    pawelwny1:
    can you elaborate on what a "powerhouse" cigar is? I think that might be key to the situation in my humidor.
    Here is a serious answer... When I used the term Powerhouse I meant a cigar that affects me in the head and stomach. A strong full bodied, full flavor smoke that has to be smoked slowly and should be avoided by novice. The kind that give you a nicotine buzz and make you feel like you need to lay down or even puke. They make you re-think your cigar choice that day. For me that would be Oliva Series V Maduro, Cusano LXI Sungrown, or Opus X Anejo (veijo).. La Flor Dominicana and Camacho as well as others offers up some full bodied cigars as well. You'll know it when you smoke it the first time, and then approach it with caution the next time.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple truth. You are getting about a half-pack-to-a-pack of N-bomb per stogie. Cigars are no substitute for nicotine. They are one and the same. Different beast, but a beast nonetheless. When you finally admit that a cigar just wont do, you have arrived my friend. Many boozers have a zero chance of quitting. The nic factor is way too strong. Quite drinking and you'll quite smoking, plain and simple. For many of us booze=smoking. Relaxation and cigar equals choice (in moderation). Good luck.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    CAcigarguy007:
    Simple truth. You are getting about a half-pack-to-a-pack of N-bomb per stogie. Cigars are no substitute for nicotine. They are one and the same. Different beast, but a beast nonetheless. When you finally admit that a cigar just wont do, you have arrived my friend. Many boozers have a zero chance of quitting. The nic factor is way too strong. Quite drinking and you'll quite smoking, plain and simple. For many of us booze=smoking. Relaxation and cigar equals choice (in moderation). Good luck.
    +1 The warden said I can go to Dubai again this year for my Christmas present, so I'll be able to partake in both the cigars AND the alcohol.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Rhamlin:
    JK

ROTFLMAO! Nice suggestion... give him an airline Barf Bag while your at it! ROTFLMAO!