Home Cigar 101

Looking for a better cutter

DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
Have been using a cheap *** no name cutter. Doesn't cut as smooth as it should. What would be a good introductory cutter to use?

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Xikar Xi... had one for a few months and I no longer use anything else... unless I'm punching...
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I love my Palio guillotine cutter and my Xikar v-cutter.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    xikar cutters are my favorite. i have a Xi2, Xi3, ultra slim, and a v cutter. not one bad thing to say about any of them
  • asianbiker8:
    +1 on the Palio!
  • danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I've been using a cuban crafters perfecto cutter for 6 months or so now and I love it, cheap, reliable, great cut every time and has a lifetime warranty. you can find them on amazon for about 12 bucks.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    For me, the XiKar MTX scissors and the Palio are the two best cutters you can buy without getting into the gold plated Davidoff stuff.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Whether punch, V cutter, guillotine, or scissors (all of which Ive had) - one word: XIKAR. Accept no substitutes. Held off from their products as long as I could due to the fanboy factor, but this is one time when the reputation is earned. You can pick up an Xi2 cutter pretty cheap (pm me if you want some points in the right direction) and you wont ever regret it.

Besides the performance, if ANYTHING ever goes wrong with one of their products, you can take it to anywhere that sells Xikar products and they will replace it with a new one, gratis, no questions asked, whether you purchased it there or not. Im a HUGE fan of the "anybody's problem but mine" type warranty. :-)

• I use this Swiss Army Knife. I've used it for almost a decade and it works like a charm. For whatever reason, I can never cut perfectly straight with a regular cutter, but it's flawless every time with this thing. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a model with a bottle opener though - the golf tools are useless to me.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Swiss-Army-19th-Hole-Cigar-Cutter/891305/product.html
  • kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    danielruas:
    I've been using a cuban crafters perfecto cutter for 6 months or so now and I love it, cheap, reliable, great cut every time and has a lifetime warranty. you can find them on amazon for about 12 bucks.
    +1
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielruas:
    heard nothing but good things about those
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    asianbiker8:
    nothing but respect for both here.

i am a xikar man at heart though. i like the teardrop shape.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    +1 on the Xikar MTX scissors! They are all that I use! We herf on Fridays at work and all my co-workers use the scissors...then my torch. Sometimes I even provide the cigar! Freak'n moochers.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big +1 for Xikar and their customer service/lifetime warranty is solid. Turn around time is fast and they stand by their products 100%. You can get them for $20 and change sometimes and it is totally worth it.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I love my Xi3 Beachwod, purchased for around 37 w/ship if you look hard
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Cutter! What Cutter! Hell, I usually just bite the tar out of 'em, and spit a lot while smoking.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:

+1
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I've got about 5 or 6 xi3's but my favorite is still my Prometheus KKP ( have 2 in case I lose one ).
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Xikar v-cutter, Tell you something I learned long time ago when I was first starting out many years ago. I had a Cigar Guru once tell me the V cut is actually the best cut instead of a guillotine cut. When you smoke you draw not just smoke but the juices that are released from the cigar and as they come through they enter through the V cut allowing more of an intense smoke. That is why a torpedo is shaped they way it is shaped because of the draw is bringing in more concentrated flavor and because it draws better. I am sure a punch does the same but I hate using those things. Maybe an ole wise tell but I can tell the difference between the two cuts.
  • michaelharveymichaelharvey Posts: 201
    jr_p951:
    +1 on the Xikar MTX scissors! They are all that I use! We herf on Fridays at work and all my co-workers use the scissors...then my torch. Sometimes I even provide the cigar! Freak'n moochers.
    where do you work sounds likea fun place..
  • willso7willso7 Posts: 156
    danielruas:
    +1
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    my main cutter i use is my cuban crafters perfecto cutter, i also use my xikar v cutter for smaller ring guage cigars and my xikar xi i leave in my car
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I got a Xikar Xi. Sniper helped me out with some info.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I like my Diesel and MOW Colibri cutters but I've used the Xikar V cutter and it's awesome! I absolutely LOVE my Room 101 scissor cutter they are quite badass.

Room 101 scissors
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I like my Diesel and MOW Colibri cutters but I've used the Xikar V cutter and it's awesome! I absolutely LOVE my Room 101 scissor cutter they are quite badass.

Room 101 scissors
    those were such a good deal.
    i have friends that have them from the event. i just didnt have the funds to buy a box at that time. i wish i did.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    ENFIDL:

Room 101 scissors
    Those dudes look badass. I used my new cutter tonight and jeeze what a difference it made.
  • brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    A good V-Cutter is a great addition... Works great on Bellicosos and prety much all ring gauges for a nice clean cut.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Could you send me a pm on where? I have an Xi2 that I love, but I would like something a little fancier.
  • brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    ENFIDL:

Room 101 scissors
    I have looked and looked but cant find one for sale... was this an event only deal or can you tell me where i can find one? It is KICK ASS!!!
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Grazuh:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Could you send me a pm on where? I have an Xi2 that I love, but I would like something a little fancier.
    PM sent. I need to try a V-Cutter, I hear great things about them...is Xicar the one to get?
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    imageIts funny, Ive had these things long before the room 101 scissors came out. I got some crazy and funny looks when I use them. But they do work great.