Home Ratings & Reviews

cg:4 illusione

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Holy Crap! I don't know how to explain this cigar. You guys have seen enough of my posts to know that I'm rarely speechless but thats what I was. It was described to me at my local B&M as a unbelievably full bodied cigar and very earthy. Now it didn't live up to the "unbelievably full bodied" I would say it was full bodied. This damn cigar changed flavors so many times I kept looking around to make sure I hadn't picked up a different cigar. At one point it was so spicy it was burning the inside of my mouth then it smoothed out and almost had a caramel flavor. Then it got spicy and earthy. I just don't know how to describe it except. Damn.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    complex. thats the word you are looing for.
    maduro fan, or anyone else for that matter, i have a copy of a taste wheel. i find that it helps me thing of taste in a different way. If you would like a copy i may be able to email it to you.

or if someone explains to me how to post a pic in here ill give that a shot.

p.s. I hate HTML
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi, if I pm you my email, would you mind emailing your taste wheel my way? That sounds like something I could benefit from as I'm still fairly inept at identifying a particular taste except to say " I like that" or "I don't like that".
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I am aware it was complex but this was a whole new kind of complex. However, I would like to check out that wheel. Check your inbox.
    pm sent kuzi, and thanks.

Joe
    I was told not to rest this cigar too long as it will mellow out. Apparently its at its peak now but that was the same guy who told me it was unbelievably full-bodied which it was not.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi thanks, you are the best. I have PM'D my email address
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    madurofan:
    I was told not to rest this cigar too long as it will mellow out. Apparently its at its peak now but that was the same guy who told me it was unbelievably full-bodied which it was not.
    I have had several illusione, specifically the 68 and 88 series and from my experience both were better with some aging. I smoked one of each that had about a month's of aging and both were nice. Came back to them about 6 months later and both were better to me. The flavors were smoother and richer, just a much more rounded smoke. I do have a couple of cg4's resting, but I'm going to try to hold on a couple more months.
  • j0z3r:
    kuzi, if I pm you my email, would you mind emailing your taste wheel my way? That sounds like something I could benefit from as I'm still fairly inept at identifying a particular taste except to say " I like that" or "I don't like that".
    Ditto, 'cept mine should be in my thingamabober if you click my name.
    gott.des.feuer:
    thingamabober
    quit using all those technical terms.

small problem... i cant attach files from the screan it brings up. It also doesnt give me your actual email so i cant just go from my email. PM me and we will figure something out. I know keeping an email addy secret is very important to alot of people. ill see what i can do for you.
    Ash, Hmmm this is the first time I've even seen the illusione's they are new to my B&M and haven't seen a lot online about them. I liked the cg4 and have a couple resting as well, doesn't hold an ash worth a crap I will say that.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Where I live closest cigar shop is 30miles, I've looked for this cigar at my usual cigar internet sites and the search turns up nothing...alittle help
    Looking for a trade mark? we could arrange something. Send me a PM.
    Once again you guys made me go shopping. Whenever I hear rave reviews like the ones posted here I have to see what I have been missing. Hope they live up to the high praises I hear you have given them.
    This one sounds like a pretty good smoke. I found a place that has these, but I'm on a self-imposed cigar-buying abstinence for a couple of months. Should be able to get my coolerdor all pimped out by then...not to mention I've gotta get a Cigar Oasis for it, cedar trays.... so yeah, definitely no more cigar buying for a while.
    Mark I finally smoked a stick from your trade the VigilantE Sungrown very nice. That was a great little stick, whats the price on that little guy he could make it into the regular rotation.
    madurofan:
    Mark I finally smoked a stick from your trade the VigilantE Sungrown very nice. That was a great little stick, whats the price on that little guy he could make it into the regular rotation.
    Well I got your package today and all I can say is THANKYOU the matches was a nice touch.....the vigilante are 4.50 to 5.00 a stick, but the sad news to my understanding they've discontinue the line, unforunatly I have a full unopen box and a few maduros lurking around in the humi. glad you liked them, I can't wait so I'm gonna fire up one of the illusione tonite....
    Glad you like 'em buddy. Let me know what you think of them. Also are you familiar with that Defiance? That sucks about the vigilante thanks for sharing those with me, man if I'd known I'd never get to smoke another I would've reviewed it better, oh well I throughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to that maduro.
    Thanks to Maduro's rave reviews of this line (Illusione0 I had to order some to check'em out I have a five stick sampler coming in any day now. The problem will be to see how long I can let them sit in the humidor befor temptation gets the better of me... I've Got to go check the mailbox one more time!
    Well the cg:4 illusione show up in the mail yesterday and I just couldn't help myself, I smoked it last nite its a very interesting cigar, wondering why the online folks arn't carrying them, so I guess Madurofan I'll be in contact for some more, thanks for the heads up on this real good cigar...
    Dion the guy who makes the illusione is being EXTEMEMLY picky about who he lets carry them. So really it isn't about the retailer's desire to carry them. Like I said buddy just let me know, I'll be happy to supply 'em.
    The illusione must be a big thing in California, I saw a lot of shops there that carry them ( on line ) .. I got my shipment today.. 888, cg:4, and the cg:2/4 that they claim "changes gears" by starting out mild and then becomes full bodied. We shall see..
    You guys know me and I'm not one to just flat out rip cigars. Well I'm about to. The M7 illusione's perfecto is the biggest rip off I've ever smoked. I was going to do a review on it but just decided to throw it in here rather than waste the time to create a new thread. I was real excited about this smoke. The illusione's are one of my fave lines right now and the perfecto my fave vitola. First off this stick cost me $15.50 not even close to the rest of the brands price range more than double in fact, so i expected a lot. Well it wasn't it started off pretty good burned funny but what the hell its a perfecto it happens well the flavor never changed like the 88 of the cg4 is so great for. It stayed kind of medium body with some decent flavor. Well it kept burning like crap, and going out. Then it canoed after repeatedly straightening that it it tunneled on me. I was smoking this in my B&M and I showed it to one of the workerd there and we got to look at it. It was under filled right down the middle of the cigar there wasn't a bit of filler, you could tell they'd skimped on at least one leaf possibly two that should have been there. Now this guy I'm talking to LOVES the cg4. So asked him have you or anyone else you know of smoked this. He goes yea and sadly everyone has this same problem it is a poorly constructed cigar. Sad very sad its turned me off of the illusione line a little.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Durn. That's a shame, maduro. On occasions like that, the only solution is to smoke another cigar. ;)
    Hey, after that review on the cg:4 I know you loved the smoke. I think that you should just go with the one you found to be so good. I don't always LOVE everything from one specific label and there are some sticks I was disappointed in, but that didn't turn me away from the ones I did like from the maker. An expensive lesson. The cigar store clerk should have mentioned that there were problems with the stick and maybe suggest something else. Now, we all know stay away from the M7, not illusione as a whole.. Maybe a bad roller did that entire box ? kind of hard to try it again at another 15.00 disappointment.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Okay, help a brother out. What's a cg?
    I don't know what cg stands for exactly, perhaps the g is for the creator Dion Giolito but just a name for the cigar. the cigar is called cg:4 ..... like Short Story or Signature, Between The Lines. used in the Hemingway line. Someone out there will know.
  • madurofan:
    Glad you like 'em buddy. Let me know what you think of them. Also are you familiar with that Defiance? That sucks about the vigilante thanks for sharing those with me, man if I'd known I'd never get to smoke another I would've reviewed it better, oh well I throughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to that maduro.
    The Vigilantes are a pretty nice cigar. Found a ridiculously good deal on them a couple months ago and decided to pick up a box of the maduro in the robusto size and a box of the corojo in the petite corona. I've only tried the maduro so far, but it was well worth it, and should be moreso with a little age.

If anyone wants to try them I'd be willing to trade a few.