Home General Discussion

Beetles?

heh.. that got your attention... Calling Maddy :D

So, in my world-record nearly $100 humidor-and-cigar buying splurge, I placed an order with ccom last week for a couple of their 3-for-5's, 2 of those RP Summer Lanceros, and the Nub sampler checkout deal. Everything shipped super-lightning-fast as always, and I got it today, which helped soften the blow from the crappy humidor.

Let me sidebar here for a second and say to Laker that if he hadn't given me those pillows, I'd be sitting on a pile of hay in a couple days. You are my hero. Seriously. I'm living the dream with a stack of tupperdors.

Anyway, the Nub sampler came in a small box. As with most of the pre-packaged stuff, there was no pillow. When I opened the box, I noticed 2 things:

1. The contents of the sampler were not as advertised. I was expecting 1 Connie, 3 Habanos, and 2 Cameroons. Instead, I got 2 of each, which actually works out better for me. Rock on.

2. All of the cigars have lots of tobacco bits sprinkled throughout the cellophane. It is hard to tell if anything is an actual "hole", although there are a number of imperfections in the wrappers themselves which don't appear to have been burrowed by an insect. One or two imperfections seems potentially able to affect smokability.

So, after an outrageously long story, I must ask. How the heck do I know if I'm sitting on a box of beetles? Do I just set them aside until it becomes obvious that they're being chewed up? I don't understand. I'd also like input on the minor wrapper imperfections, but I know that'd be impossible without a photo, and I'm too lazy for all that.

Comments

• are there any psychedilic sounds coming from the cigars, is either of them yellow?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If it is any help, I purchased a five pack of Nub cameroons recently. The fiver came in a cardboard box, probably not unlike the one you received, and inside the cellophane were many bits of tobacco. Mine had no holes, no evidence of infestation and smoked just fine. All of this leads me to believe that the Nub samplers just tend to get bits of tobacco knocked loose either in packing, shipping or both.
  • j0z3r:
    If it is any help, I purchased a five pack of Nub cameroons recently. The fiver came in a cardboard box, probably not unlike the one you received, and inside the cellophane were many bits of tobacco. Mine had no holes, no evidence of infestation and smoked just fine. All of this leads me to believe that the Nub samplers just tend to get bits of tobacco knocked loose either in packing, shipping or both.

hopefully he is right, youve had enough bad luck this week
    but if it is Beetles, this should cure them

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Thanks, jozer.. that was my expectation. Of course, the whole lot will live in quarantine for quite some time, but it's good to know you've had a similar experience. Same thing -- cardboard box with the sampler of Nubs. That's actually why it's most surprising that the makeup of the sampler was different from what was advertised.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    You can always pop them in the freezer for a while, doody. Better safe than sorry.
    urbino:
    You can always pop them in the freezer for a while, doody. Better safe than sorry.
    I was just gonna send 'em around in the games.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The samplers of the nubs I got were also 2 of each. I don't know why all the sites advertise 1, 3 and 2 but they do. I also have little bits of tobacco in the cello. I have a little bit of a different problem with mine. The connies are not flat on the bottom. It looks like they were cut on an angle. That will definately affect smokeability but it's to late to send them back and I am lazy too.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Duty, just go ahead and do this to be safe. Toss them in the freezer for 24 hours, then the fridge for 24 to recover from the freezer. It will not affect smokeability or taste and will ease your mind.

The NUB Connie's being cut at an angle is odd but I doubt it will really affect the smokeability.
    I'll give 'em a run through the freezer. I've send plenty of loose tobacco bits sprinkled around in the cello of other cigars, but there just seemed to be a lot more in these, even compared to Nubs I've bought at the B&M. Jozer's probably right, but better to be safe.
    dutyje:
    I'll give 'em a run through the freezer. I've send plenty of loose tobacco bits sprinkled around in the cello of other cigars, but there just seemed to be a lot more in these, even compared to Nubs I've bought at the B&M. Jozer's probably right, but better to be safe.
    I agree. After my experience with beetles, if I even THINK it looks like a beetle hole it goes through the freezer before it hits my humi.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Yeah, if you think you have Beatles, don't Monkee around. Infestations are for the Byrds, you'll want those suckers Gratefully Dead.
    zoom6zoom:
    Yeah, if you think you have Beatles, don't Monkee around. Infestations are for the Byrds, you'll want those suckers Gratefully Dead.
    oh, hey Dad.. when did you join the forum?

Maddy, what the heck does a beetle look like?
    Its tiny, brown and flies. Thats about all I can tell you. It looks like a brown ladybug but not much bigger than a pinhead.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

dutyje:
    zoom6zoom:
    oh, hey Dad.. when did you join the forum?

Maddy, what the heck does a beetle look like?

they have bowl haircuts ;)

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    C.Com might still be offloading their old Nub samplers, I remember those having 2 of each, kinda glad they still have some, the Habanos aren't bad but I like the Connys more. I had the same experience with the blotchy wrappers, I'm hoping the last Conny I have doesnt have mold on it, and its just an imperfection on the leaf.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Did you contact cigar.com? Might be something to consider....
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    I was just gonna send 'em around in the games.
    Or that. (You don't have my addy, right?)
  • madurofan:
    Its tiny, brown and flies. Thats about all I can tell you. It looks like a brown ladybug but not much bigger than a pinhead.

http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/
    section 7.4
  • HA! finally got picture to work, joke funny now lol
  • cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    rwheelwright:
    The samplers of the nubs I got were also 2 of each. I don't know why all the sites advertise 1, 3 and 2 but they do. I also have little bits of tobacco in the cello. I have a little bit of a different problem with mine. The connies are not flat on the bottom. It looks like they were cut on an angle. That will definately affect smokeability but it's to late to send them back and I am lazy too.
    I had a Nub Conny yesterday and it was slightly angled as well. What's up with that?
    cheyman:
    rwheelwright:
    I had a Nub Conny yesterday and it was slightly angled as well. What's up with that?
    How did it burn?
  • cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    It burned just fine, a nice even line all the way down.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    cheyman:
    It burned just fine, a nice even line all the way down.
    Well then, I have nothing to worry about. It weird though. I've had them before and the were fine then I get two of the samplers and they are both like that.