Home Cigar 101

First Coolidor - Need advice on trays/dividers

jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
Click this link Click or go to page 3 for the update.
I'm looking for suggestions on trays/dividers. Thanks in advance for your input!

So I finally had some free time now that the holidays are over and got the chance to finish sanding and putting together the new coolidor!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on how I should seal the slight gap around the lid.
Per your suggestions, I went with a 1/4" rubber/foam weather stripping with an adhesive backing and it's working great.

I found that the hardest part of this project was sanding the SC boards down so that everything fit nice and snug....since the interior of the cooler was not perfectly square to begin with, it was impossible to take exact measurements and cut the boards square....so needless to say, quite a bit of hand sanding was needed to make everything fit.
Below are a few pictures of the (almost) final product....I just need to season it, add some beads+hygrometer, then fill it up with cigars.
(Also somewhere down the road, I want to do a design with old cigar bands and either attach that to the lid or to the front of it. Look close and you can see a few small screw holes where there was a horseshoe and star attached on the original cooler.)

outside
lid
inside

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Comments

• bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the weather stripping as it will do the job just fine.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    That thing looks great! You could leave that out and the wife wouldn't beat you up over a bright white ice chest sitting in the corner of the room. I do not have a cooler and haven't had to deal with the gaps. I just wanted to comment on how good that cooler looks. Do they sell these online? Can I ask the price?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous brother!! Really excited to see how this ends up, congrats!!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking cooler brother. I would go with the rubber weather stripping.
  • bdmauk24bdmauk24 Posts: 74
    Nice purchase. I agree, weather stripping should work just fine.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    That thing looks great! You could leave that out and the wife wouldn't beat you up over a bright white ice chest sitting in the corner of the room. I do not have a cooler and haven't had to deal with the gaps. I just wanted to comment on how good that cooler looks. Do they sell these online? Can I ask the price?
    Haha, yep that's exactly why I got it. It looks good enough that the wife will let me leave it out and I don't have to hide it in a closet or something.

It's a little pricy for a cooler but I got it on sale at Tractor Supply for $100. Even at that price I figured it would still be a better deal than spending $300-400 on a small cabinet unit. You can find it online here. Also, for anyone interested, the inside dimensions of the cooler area are approx 21" width, 12.5" length, 12" height

And IMHO the horseshoe handle and star on top were a little too country so I took them. They came off real easily and luckily the screws weren't that big and the holes are barely noticeable.

Also, thanks guys for the input on the weatherstripping. I'll definitely go that route. I'll post some pics in a couple weeks once it's all finished.

• CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    This will look very nice....thanks for sharing....gives me an idea for a living room piece my wife could deal with as well...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    That looks great bro. Nice purchase and good luck sealing it up and have fun filling it up!! Make sure to post pics once it's complete.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    definitely man-cave material right there. I like that alot. I know what I want for Christmas. lol my poor 300 count humi is almost packed full.
    Updated the original post. See above.

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Nice, looks more like a humidor than a cooler now.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    That is REALLY nice!!
    Thanks Russ and Salem. I wanted something cooler sized, but it had to look good sitting out in the man cave and this was certainly a lucky find since I had never even heard of anything like it before.
    I probably didn't need to completely line it with cedar but the inside was a steel liner and the outside wood is pine, so I was a little nervous about the pine scent getting in and mixing with the cigars...having it completely lined with cedar should prevent that though; I can't pick up any pine smell now that it's finished.

• joshvoigtjoshvoigt Posts: 325
    Where did you pick up the Spanish Cedar from?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Dude thats pretty boss.

I bought it from Woodcraft
    I got it from their local store so they were able to cut it for me.....I know you can order online too if there's not a store close to you, not sure if they're able to do cuts if you order online though.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done brother, are you gonna put some trim inside so you can make trays for it?
    stephen_hannibal:
    Dude thats pretty boss.
    Rhamlin:
    Nicely done brother, are you gonna put some trim inside so you can make trays for it?
    Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it.
    And yes I want to do something for trays/shelving, the problem is that the depth is now about a 1/4" too narrow to fit a standard sized tray.
    My (soon to be) father-in-law recently retired from 30 years as an industrial tech teacher and he does woodworking in his free time; I'm going to have him take a look at it and see what he thinks since any trays or shelving would have to be made from scratch (probably by him).

I'd be happy to hear any comments or info on how to go about shelving and will run it by him to see if it's doable.

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Sweet piece of work. LOVE old wood.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Nice ,,Thanks for sharing!!!
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    So I finally had some free time now that the holidays are over and got the chance to finish sanding and putting together the new coolidor!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on how I should seal the slight gap around the lid.
    Per your suggestions, I went with a 1/4" rubber/foam weather stripping with an adhesive backing and it's working great.

I found that the hardest part of this project was sanding the SC boards down so that everything fit nice and snug....since the interior of the cooler was not perfectly square to begin with, it was impossible to take exact measurements and cut the boards square....so needless to say, quite a bit of hand sanding was needed to make everything fit.
    Below are a few pictures of the (almost) final product....I just need to season it, add some beads+hygrometer, then fill it up with cigars.
    (Also somewhere down the road, I want to do a design with old cigar bands and either attach that to the lid or to the front of it. Look close and you can see a few small screw holes where there was a horseshoe and star attached on the original cooler.)

outside
    lid
    inside
    ,BR>

Nice work. Ever think of building similar Coolidors for others?
    RBeckom:
    Nope the thought hadn't crossed my mind. This was my first ever woodworking project and most of the hard work was done for me (the coolidor came pre-assembled and the cedar boards were cut for me when I ordered them) so all I had to do was fit the pieces together.

The only tools I used for this were a screwdriver, sandpaper, sanding block, hot glue gun and wood glue.

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Nice job bud, reminds me of the one I just did. Wife loves it cause its a great piece of furniture and fits in nicely
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Nice job bud, reminds me of the one I just did. Wife loves it cause its a great piece of furniture and fits in nicely
    Thanks. I remember looking at some on here but I'm not sure if I saw yours or not. Is it posted somewhere on the forums? If so could you point me to it, I'd like to check it out?

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    RBeckom:
    Nope the thought hadn't crossed my mind. This was my first ever woodworking project and most of the hard work was done for me (the coolidor came pre-assembled and the cedar boards were cut for me when I ordered them) so all I had to do was fit the pieces together.

The only tools I used for this were a screwdriver, sandpaper, sanding block, hot glue gun and wood glue.

If its your first project then I change my comment to extra-nice job.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    jgibv:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Thanks. I remember looking at some on here but I'm not sure if I saw yours or not. Is it posted somewhere on the forums? If so could you point me to it, I'd like to check it out?
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/385933.aspx
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna do one of these too, they look cool! Sportsmans guide has these and there are some discount codes as well if you look. If anyone is interested here is a link: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-rustic-cooler-57-quart.aspx?a=620048
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, if you put it in your cart and your not a member they will ask "do you want to join?" and if you say no they will give you free shipping and you can use the discount code on top. I did this with some ammo and got free shipping, $20 off, and my membership for basically free. Just a tip.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Well done sir. That is beautiful and congrats on the upcoming wedding.