Home General Discussion

My New Humidor + Inventory Pics!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    james40:
    Shaun, that is beautiful to see. It's great seeing the before and after pics. It's really cool seeing someone build something of this nature. How's she holding the temps/humidity?
    Currently holding at 67deg and 63%, about right where I want it...will monitor it the next few days and make sure everything is staying consistent. I have a Hydra I am waiting to get a power cord for and then I will be hooking that up and a fan kit asap to go along with the 1lb of beads
    thanks for the update. You're a stud bro, that is awesome. Congrats on your efforts, so nice to see something get repurposed. Very inspiring.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    james40:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    james40:
    Shaun, that is beautiful to see. It's great seeing the before and after pics. It's really cool seeing someone build something of this nature. How's she holding the temps/humidity?
    Currently holding at 67deg and 63%, about right where I want it...will monitor it the next few days and make sure everything is staying consistent. I have a Hydra I am waiting to get a power cord for and then I will be hooking that up and a fan kit asap to go along with the 1lb of beads
    thanks for the update. You're a stud bro, that is awesome. Congrats on your efforts, so nice to see something get repurposed. Very inspiring.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it...nice to see the hard work pay off and turn one man's trash into another man's treasure!
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    spindrift:
    Very nice Shaun...How long did you have to season it to stablize all that cedar???
    About 3 days give or take...some of it was "preseasoned" from my old humi so it caught on pretty quick
    Three days isn't bad...I thought it would have been a little longer...
    spindrift:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    spindrift:
    Very nice Shaun...How long did you have to season it to stablize all that cedar???
    About 3 days give or take...some of it was "preseasoned" from my old humi so it caught on pretty quick
    Three days isn't bad...I thought it would have been a little longer...
    I probably could have taken longer, but I had the Versailles sold and had to drop it off tonight, so it put the seasoning into speed mode. I would have preferred to season it with the Hydra as well, but I am not sure when my new power cord will arrive and didnt want to wait.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I was wondering how you would handle the trays. Looks great!
    Again... WOW! Congrats, that is one of the finest collections posted on these boards, right up there with some of the heist worthy and **** inducing ones mentioned earlier ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    90+ Irishman:
    Again... WOW! Congrats, that is one of the finest collections posted on these boards, right up there with some of the heist worthy and **** inducing ones mentioned earlier ;)
    sweet, so now you're gonna drop your plans of jackin my stash, right Irish? lol

Shaun, on a serious note, that is an AMAZING job, brother! Love how it turned out!

but it also looks like you have an entire EMPTY cooler now... just sayin... that's lots of extra room for new bombs and stuff... just sayin... ;)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really sweet Shaun, that thing is a lot bigger than I thought . That's a beauty of a collection to.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've been in cigar shops that weren't as well stocked! Good job, man. Where did you get the spanish cedar?
    JDH:
    I've been in cigar shops that weren't as well stocked! Good job, man. Where did you get the spanish cedar?
    I searched far and wide online for it and ended up getting it from http://www.woodnshop.com/Hardwood/SPANISH_CEDAR.htm He had the best prices I could find and was great to deal with
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    JDH:
    I searched far and wide online for it and ended up getting it from http://www.woodnshop.com/Hardwood/SPANISH_CEDAR.htm He had the best prices I could find and was great to deal with
    thanks for the link! I've been looking for some myself!
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    BigT06:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    JDH:
    thanks for the link! I've been looking for some myself!
    Excellent! I just bookmarked it. Many thanks. Maybe I'll make some shelves for my humi, I've been thinking aobut it.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Nicely done!! Just a little advice and I know some will disagree. I learned this from a tour at the Partagas factory in Havana and from the Perdomo Factory Tour, Esteli Nicaragua several years ago. Any cigars that are not wrapped and you mix with other brands that are unwrapped can change their flavor because of the oils that they secret. If you ever have kept cigars in their wrapper for over a lengthy period you will see the wrapper change colors to a dingy brown color and that is because of the oil in the Cigar. I have a separate Humi for the Cubanos and just opening the box up has a different odor from the box I keep my everyday smokes in. Granted this happens over time but if you age your Cigars over a lengthy time it can change your smoke. That's my two cent on it.
    Bucking W:
    Nicely done!! Just a little advice and I know some will disagree. I learned this from a tour at the Partagas factory in Havana and from the Perdomo Factory Tour, Esteli Nicaragua several years ago. Any cigars that are not wrapped and you mix with other brands that are unwrapped can change their flavor because of the oils that they secret. If you ever have kept cigars in their wrapper for over a lengthy period you will see the wrapper change colors to a dingy brown color and that is because of the oil in the Cigar. I have a separate Humi for the Cubanos and just opening the box up has a different odor from the box I keep my everyday smokes in. Granted this happens over time but if you age your Cigars over a lengthy time it can change your smoke. That's my two cent on it.
    I agree on that, granted the time it takes it pretty substantial, but not worth the risk to jeopardize the integrity of a cigar. The pictures are pretty accurate to the way I have it setup(some sticks were thrown around to just make the pictures), but I am making modifications to the trays tonight so I can separate them more, especially the once without cello and ones I want for more long term aging. I know the oils touching is a concern, but I'm not too concerned with the aromas in the humi conflicting with one another. I keep all of my CCs together and will not have them toughing other NC cigars. Once my order comes in they will own the complete tray and then some extra space and will only be kept in the bottom with NCs at the top. Let me know if I am missing the boat on anything though
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Nice set up Shaun, congrats!
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Bucking W:
    I agree on that, granted the time it takes it pretty substantial, but not worth the risk to jeopardize the integrity of a cigar. The pictures are pretty accurate to the way I have it setup(some sticks were thrown around to just make the pictures), but I am making modifications to the trays tonight so I can separate them more, especially the once without cello and ones I want for more long term aging. I know the oils touching is a concern, but I'm not too concerned with the aromas in the humi conflicting with one another. I keep all of my CCs together and will not have them toughing other NC cigars. Once my order comes in they will own the complete tray and then some extra space and will only be kept in the bottom with NCs at the top. Let me know if I am missing the boat on anything though
    Nope, you did great, I'm jealous I didn't think of it.
    BigT06:
    90+ Irishman:
    sweet, so now you're gonna drop your plans of jackin my stash, right Irish? lol

Shaun, on a serious note, that is an AMAZING job, brother! Love how it turned out!

but it also looks like you have an entire EMPTY cooler now... just sayin... that's lots of extra room for new bombs and stuff... just sayin... ;)
    HA! You wish.... naw, the Kid and I are still drawing up the ductwork plans to your house and mapping out the laser sensors and guard dog routes....
    The trays will be modified this weekend, pics will follow
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Damn that's a huge collection.
    Direwolf:
    I have another 80 sticks or so on order and they all should arrive sometime next week PLUS I am having a custom 60ct humidor built that will be delivered the week after...very unique design from a buddy of mine who has his own humidor building company...there will be lots of pictures of that when it arrives and is getting seasoned.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Direwolf:
    I have another 80 sticks or so on order and they all should arrive sometime next week PLUS I am having a custom 60ct humidor built that will be delivered the week after...very unique design from a buddy of mine who has his own humidor building company...there will be lots of pictures of that when it arrives and is getting seasoned.
    LOL I give up... No mas!
    Direwolf:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Direwolf:
    LOL I give up... No mas!
    MERCY MERCY! Yeah the new humi is pretty crazy, some minor details: true 60ct, 12cigars wide(approx), a gullwing door that seals it on top, two folding arms that fold out when opened inside...all packed into 14"wide x 10" tall x 10" deep
    That thing is awesome. Can just imagine the smell when you open it up.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    very very nice.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking humi conversion you got there. (Also some tasty looking cigars inside.) And it looks like quite a lucky score with that ice chest.
    Any particular reason you went with 3/8" boards? I used 1/4" on mine....simply because it made for a little more storage space.
    And how are those trays put together? Just glue or did you screw/nail them together?
    Last question, how many lbs of beads did you use?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Nice looking humi conversion you got there. (Also some tasty looking cigars inside.) And it looks like quite a lucky score with that ice chest.
    Any particular reason you went with 3/8" boards? I used 1/4" on mine....simply because it made for a little more storage space.
    And how are those trays put together? Just glue or did you screw/nail them together?
    Last question, how many lbs of beads did you use?
    The 3/8 cedar was what the lumber company had the most of in my size, if I went with 1/4" I would have had to wait 2-3 weeks and I didn't want to(just me being impatient). The trays are just hot-glued together, it works very well(yes, mine look like white trash, but they get the job done perfectly fine) :) I have 1lb of beads, 2 Boveda 69% packets, and a small electronic humidor
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The 3/8 cedar was what the lumber company had the most of in my size, if I went with 1/4" I would have had to wait 2-3 weeks and I didn't want to(just me being impatient).
    Understandable....I was very anxious to put mine together too.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The trays are just hot-glued together, it works very well(yes, mine look like white trash, but they get the job done perfectly fine) :)
    As long as it does the job and you're happy with it that's all that matters. Somewhere down the road, I'll probably go this same route with a combo of wood glue and hot glue to put together some trays.
    Unless my (soon to be) father in law offers to custom build some for me. (hopes & crosses fingers)
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I have 1lb of beads, 2 Boveda 69% packets, and a small electronic humidor
    I ordered 1/2 lb beads and am thinking that will be enough (my inside volume is just about 2 sq. ft.)
    I see the beads at the bottom of the humi....and I'm guessing you keep the Boveda packs inside of the cigar boxes? Does that seem to work well/do you have to recharge them often?
    Also, what is "a small electronic humidor" that you mentioned?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The 3/8 cedar was what the lumber company had the most of in my size, if I went with 1/4" I would have had to wait 2-3 weeks and I didn't want to(just me being impatient).
    Understandable....I was very anxious to put mine together too.
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    The trays are just hot-glued together, it works very well(yes, mine look like white trash, but they get the job done perfectly fine) :)
    As long as it does the job and you're happy with it that's all that matters. Somewhere down the road, I'll probably go this same route with a combo of wood glue and hot glue to put together some trays.
    Unless my (soon to be) father in law offers to custom build some for me. (hopes & crosses fingers)
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I have 1lb of beads, 2 Boveda 69% packets, and a small electronic humidor
    I ordered 1/2 lb beads and am thinking that will be enough (my inside volume is just about 2 sq. ft.)
    I see the beads at the bottom of the humi....and I'm guessing you keep the Boveda packs inside of the cigar boxes? Does that seem to work well/do you have to recharge them often?
    Also, what is "a small electronic humidor" that you mentioned?
    The trays are easy to build, worth giving it a shot if you dont want to use boxes. Its a little different now that I have more smokes and suck. The singles are still on top plus 2-MoW PA boxes along with a bead tray with 1/3lb in it, another 1/3 in a baggie(on the bottom), and 1/3 in the bottom of my electronic humi(on the bottom). I dont recharge them too often, once a month maybe(I had to do it more frequently at the beginning). The small electronic humidifier is the gray box in the middle of the following pic...Ccom sells them, http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HMC08 , that one just re-branded. The Boveda packs are just sitting around. Here is a pic of the bottom now...

So that is the bottom door with a new tray I put in there on top of the bottom section about 8" down from the middle and the fan glued to the bottom of the tray and then one glued sideways to push air up.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    You pictures are intoxicating!! Great job, wonderful pics, wonderful subjects in the pics!!