Home Cigar 101

Bad form?

ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
Yep, you read it correctly, "form" not "forum". Just wanted to clarify that. Anywhoo... I received a call from a friend who is beginning to experience the joy of our beloved stogies. He had already purchased a humidor and I talked him through the seasoning process. He waited a week or so before beginning the lovely and painstaking process of filling it up. That's Daddy's good little boy!
He invited me over tonight before I swaggered my way to work to share a cigar and to ask my opinion on his choice. Upon entering the Man Cave, I was presented with a pre-cut Dutch Master's Palma(machine-made and already "pierced" instead of cut, which I'm sure you know)... Not the greatest smoke in the universe, but I have had worse. Being the good friend I am, I powered through the dog-rocket gifted to me.
To make a long story short... I personally have a twitch about someone cutting my cigar for me. Call it OCD, if you wish, but I find it to be in a bit of bad taste. I know he meant well, but I feel that I shall have to eventually lay down the pimp hand upon his noob noggin. Anyone else have this "phobia", or am I all by my lonesome and meant to sit in the corner on a stool while wearing a funny, pointed hat?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't think that's unreasonable of you. Some gentle guidance will definitely help him along the way.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Could it have been pre-punched by the factory? Some of them are. I don't know a lot about machine made smokes. But yeah, I agree, you don't cut my cigar for me. I'm sure there's a diplomatic way to say that.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    You're gonna wait a week for the pimp stick??!!
    You are a good friend.....much better than I.
    If a friend who I introduced to cigars offered me one of those, PRE_CUT!!, I would have said
    "Are you fogging kidding me! Open your humi and let me pick what I'm gonna smoke you pathetic noob, and go fetch me a Scotch ***, and don't pour that cheap **** you got either, I know you have Balvenie hidden somewhere!"
    And, if, God forbid, his humi was stuffed with turds and dog sticks, I'd politely advise him that life isn't that long, and far too short to smoke the crap in his humi.
    Then, I'd produce two of my own cigars, one for him, and one for me, and start the re-training process!

Now to your point of someone else cutting your cigar, I'm with you, not a fan.....
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    You're gonna wait a week for the pimp stick??!!
    You are a good friend.....much better than I.
    If a friend who I introduced to cigars offered me one of those, PRE_CUT!!, I would have said
    "Are you fogging kidding me! Open your humi and let me pick what I'm gonna smoke you pathetic noob, and go fetch me a Scotch ***, and don't pour that cheap **** you got either, I know you have Balvenie hidden somewhere!"
    And, if, God forbid, his humi was stuffed with turds and dog sticks, I'd politely advise him that life isn't that long, and far too short to smoke the crap in his humi.
    Then, I'd produce two of my own cigars, one for him, and one for me, and start the re-training process!

Now to your point of someone else cutting your cigar, I'm with you, not a fan.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Didn't say I was gonna wait a week to pimp-stick him... He did heed my advice about waiting to fill his humidor, though. As for the contents of said humidor, yup, 20(now 18) DM Palmas... He shall soon have stick which will be pleasing to the pallete. My young Padawan has much to learn of the ways of the Leaf.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to stick up for the noob, necessarily, but a lot of machine-mades DO come already pierced. Some gentle guidance would seem to be in order if he's a friend. IMHO. Otherwise, meh...
    jlmarta:
    Not to stick up for the noob, necessarily, but a lot of machine-mades DO come already pierced. Some gentle guidance would seem to be in order if he's a friend. IMHO. Otherwise, meh...

He honestly meant no harm. I believe he got carried away in the excitement of his first mini-herf. I've relegated myself to the Palmas on several occasions and they do come pierced, rather than cut. He wasn't aware of this and apparently thought it was a product of the manufacturing process. But, I must give him credit. If you're gonna cut a ****, at least cut it with a Xikar Xi1. For some odd reason, he just plain refused to sell it to me tonight...
    BTW, I did call him back later and have a brief conversation about the occurance, in a friendly and courteous manner of course. The Palmas will be making an appearance at his Father-in-law's house, anon.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Can you REALLY call a machine made a cigar? I suppose you could, technically, but I'd have said, "NO thanks, I've got something I like better." and hand it back to him saying "You smoke this, and I'll have what I brought with me." If he protested, I'd say "Come on man, life is too short to smoke s**t like that. Some things should just be avoided, like beer and cottage cheese, and that thing and my time. If you like 'em, go ahead, but it aint for me, now, where's the beer?"
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the experience bro. But I think in the long run if he is a true friend, will thank you more for going ahead and being honest about some of the ground rules to smoking and sharing cigars. He meant well, and we all do when we start out, but not everyone knows the difference in hand-made vs hand-rolled, or cut it and get it ready for the guest vs. let them pick out what they want and they cut or punch the stick the way they like it when they first start.

So next time just educate him, and that should lead to better experiences. Again just my thoughts, hope it helps.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Yep, you read it correctly, "form" not "forum". Just wanted to clarify that. Anywhoo... I received a call from a friend who is beginning to experience the joy of our beloved stogies. He had already purchased a humidor and I talked him through the seasoning process. He waited a week or so before beginning the lovely and painstaking process of filling it up. That's Daddy's good little boy!
    He invited me over tonight before I swaggered my way to work to share a cigar and to ask my opinion on his choice. Upon entering the Man Cave, I was presented with a pre-cut Dutch Master's Palma(machine-made and already "pierced" instead of cut, which I'm sure you know)... Not the greatest smoke in the universe, but I have had worse. Being the good friend I am, I powered through the dog-rocket gifted to me.
    To make a long story short... I personally have a twitch about someone cutting my cigar for me. Call it OCD, if you wish, but I find it to be in a bit of bad taste. I know he meant well, but I feel that I shall have to eventually lay down the pimp hand upon his noob noggin. Anyone else have this "phobia", or am I all by my lonesome and meant to sit in the corner on a stool while wearing a funny, pointed hat?
    Normally yes. Bad Form to cut someone else's. But, I cut my Father In-Law's for him. He has destroyed more of my cigars by not cutting correctly. I try to show him but he just says, "You do it". He also says, "I used to use my teeth"! A local B&M offers to cut for you after you purchase one there as well. Personally, I'm with you. I will cut my own.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll have to let him check out a CCOM catalog and give him a good stick to smoke so he know there is a difference. It always surprises me when someone says they like cigars and then begin to talk about Swisher sweets.
  • SalemSalem Posts: 717
    duplicate
    Salem:
    Toombes, I would give him gentle guidance about the ways of the world when it comes to FINE cigars. As in hand made quality cigars. And please introduce him to cigar.com. He will soon learn that machine made is not the way to go and other such things. Being a noob, I found this place before I smoked the first cigar.....thank goodness of I might be smoking Swisher Sweets, lol!!!!! (hopefully I really wouldn't). But even I learned enough at the beginning of the basics anyway. Good luck! You'll have him a cigar aficionado in no time!!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there are a few bad form things that many new people dont know. there are also things that are not bad form with some people but definitely are for others. some is very subjective.

personally, i like to cut and light my own cigars but many high end retailers and cigar shops will cut as a service because they know tourists dont carry cutters due to airport security. these same places will light the cigar for the same reason. i will get a cut from them, but not a light. id rather buy a bic.

as far as your friend goes, i would set up a similar situation but with your cigars and on your terms. invite him over. grab a cigar for him. show him how to cut and light. let him be amazed by your hand rolled long filler cigar. He is new. we all were at one point. it may be "bad form" but not because he intended it, but because he has no experience with it in the past.
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    While I'd rather cut my own cigar, personally I'd be more offended by the humi full of DM's. This wrong needs to be corrected before the cigar gods smite him!
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there are a few bad form things that many new people dont know. there are also things that are not bad form with some people but definitely are for others. some is very subjective.

personally, i like to cut and light my own cigars but many high end retailers and cigar shops will cut as a service because they know tourists dont carry cutters due to airport security. these same places will light the cigar for the same reason. i will get a cut from them, but not a light. id rather buy a bic.

as far as your friend goes, i would set up a similar situation but with your cigars and on your terms. invite him over. grab a cigar for him. show him how to cut and light. let him be amazed by your hand rolled long filler cigar. He is new. we all were at one point. it may be "bad form" but not because he intended it, but because he has no experience with it in the past.
    +1 We ALL started somewhere, no of us came out knowing everything about cigars. To be honest I learn something new from these forums at least once a day, and am very impressed by the amount of knowledge that can be found here. And if you claim to know everything about cigars, I apologize, but you are full of **** I think your friend was/is trying to fit in, and a little guidance will go along way..:)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    MVW67:
    kuzi16:

+1 We ALL started somewhere, no of us came out knowing everything about cigars. To be honest I learn something new from these forums at least once a day, and am very impressed by the amount of knowledge that can be found here. And if you claim to know everything about cigars, I apologize, but you are full of **** I think your friend was/is trying to fit in, and a little guidance will go along way..:)

Wasn't implying that I know everything about cigars and the protocols involved. I'm in the same boat as you, I learn something here virtually everyday. The basic question was asked regarding how everyone feels about having someone else cut and/or light their cigar for them. He is trying to fit in, and if you had read one of my earlier posts he got overly excited and thought he was being nice and courteous by cutting 2 sticks before I arrived. I truly did appreciate the gesture. I'm not slamming him for doing it, I just don't take to other people fondling something that I'm going to be putting my lips to. Geez, that sounds kinda lewd, doesn't it? I discussed the issue with him and all is well now. He should be setting up an account within the next few days so that we can all help guide him along the path of righteousness and the beauty of The Leaf.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Toombes.. If you don't take to people fondling something that you are going to put to your lips, then cigars are not for you.. Do you have any idea how many people touched that cigar and the tobacco used in it before it got to you... How do you think they get " Hand Rolled". You better start using sanitizer on all you sticks if that is a concern.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    MVW67:
    kuzi16:

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I wasn't trying to dis ya, I have help people cut theirs because I have seen them butcher it in the past and have helped people light for the same reason. Let me know when he signs up would love to send him sticks to begin with:-) +1 We ALL started somewhere, no of us came out knowing everything about cigars. To be honest I learn something new from these forums at least once a day, and am very impressed by the amount of knowledge that can be found here. And if you claim to know everything about cigars, I apologize, but you are full of **** I think your friend was/is trying to fit in, and a little guidance will go along way..:)

Wasn't implying that I know everything about cigars and the protocols involved. I'm in the same boat as you, I learn something here virtually everyday. The basic question was asked regarding how everyone feels about having someone else cut and/or light their cigar for them. He is trying to fit in, and if you had read one of my earlier posts he got overly excited and thought he was being nice and courteous by cutting 2 sticks before I arrived. I truly did appreciate the gesture. I'm not slamming him for doing it, I just don't take to other people fondling something that I'm going to be putting my lips to. Geez, that sounds kinda lewd, doesn't it? I discussed the issue with him and all is well now. He should be setting up an account within the next few days so that we can all help guide him along the path of righteousness and the beauty of The Leaf.
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    hahaha, so it sounds like you already solved the issue toombes, but I'll chime in anyway and equate the whole scenario to having your fly down. haha, No matter how you slice it, hearing that your fly is down is embarrassing (similar to breaking cigar etiquette), but I'd always rather hear it from a friend than a stranger after being out and about for a while. hahaha. So I'm sure your buddy appreciated the etiquette lesson coming from you. I'm with you on the cutting thing, i don't find it gross, but I find it weird. not a big deal though and glad you educated him, and I'm sure he is as well.

I gotta say to everyone though, the biggest rule is to never be ungrateful for a cigar given to you, and there are some folks here suggesting in jest, that you would be better served rejecting his DM and giving him one of yours. Glad you choked down the DM with a smile on your face Toombes, you did well, because IMO there is no bigger ettiquette flub than telling someone that the cigar they are giving you isn't good enough.
    boydmcgowan:
    hahaha, so it sounds like you already solved the issue toombes, but I'll chime in anyway and equate the whole scenario to having your fly down. haha, No matter how you slice it, hearing that your fly is down is embarrassing (similar to breaking cigar etiquette), but I'd always rather hear it from a friend than a stranger after being out and about for a while. hahaha. So I'm sure your buddy appreciated the etiquette lesson coming from you. I'm with you on the cutting thing, i don't find it gross, but I find it weird. not a big deal though and glad you educated him, and I'm sure he is as well.

I gotta say to everyone though, the biggest rule is to never be ungrateful for a cigar given to you, and there are some folks here suggesting in jest, that you would be better served rejecting his DM and giving him one of yours. Glad you choked down the DM with a smile on your face Toombes, you did well, because IMO there is no bigger ettiquette flub than telling someone that the cigar they are giving you isn't good enough.

+1!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed, nobody likes a cigar snob.
    To end the story, I hooked him up with cigar.com and he is placing his first order on his next payday. I gave him a few recommendations for lighter smokes(coughcoughPerdomoChampagnecoughcough)and he is thrilled. He's promised the gars will be well seasoned and uncut the next time I stopped by.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    kuzi16:
    My thoughts exactly
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I have a B&M that (for events and give-aways) pre cuts the cigars, through the wrapper. If its a good cut, I don't mind.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:

yes .........I was obviously kidding...........but sometimes it's the sort of stuff that goes thru your head when faced with these situations..........which I do regularly with Mr. Mooch brother-in-law....ha!

yes .........I was obviously kidding...........but sometimes it's the sort of stuff that goes thru your head when faced with these situations..........which I do regularly with Mr. Mooch brother-in-law....ha!

LOL! You've got one of those too, do ya?
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Russ55:
    Could it have been pre-punched by the factory? Some of them are. I don't know a lot about machine made smokes. But yeah, I agree, you don't cut my cigar for me. I'm sure there's a diplomatic way to say that.

It is... 'Dude, I don't know where your hands have been, you cut that one you smoke it. I'll smoke the one I cut.'

As for it being a DM, well you gotta start somewhere and I've smoked more crap out of my friends collections than mine!

My next point...

How do you quote yourself?
    Salem:
    Salem:
    Toombes, I would give him gentle guidance about the ways of the world when it comes to FINE cigars. As in hand made quality cigars. And please introduce him to cigar.com. He will soon learn that machine made is not the way to go and other such things. Being a noob, I found this place before I smoked the first cigar.....thank goodness of I might be smoking Swisher Sweets, lol!!!!! (hopefully I really wouldn't). But even I learned enough at the beginning of the basics anyway. Good luck! You'll have him a cigar aficionado in no time!!!!

Never mind, glad we cleared that up! image
    DSWarmack:
    Russ55:

It is... 'Dude, I don't know where your hands have been, you cut that one you smoke it. I'll smoke the one I cut.'

As for it being a DM, well you gotta start somewhere and I've smoked more crap out of my friends collections than mine!

My next point...

How do you quote yourself?
    Salem:
    Salem:

Never mind, glad we cleared that up! image
    Hmmmmm......:)
    Toombes:
    To end the story, I hooked him up with cigar.com and he is placing his first order on his next payday. I gave him a few recommendations for lighter smokes(coughcoughPerdomoChampagnecoughcough)and he is thrilled. He's promised the gars will be well seasoned and uncut the next time I stopped by.
    Toombes, glad you got him all squared away! :)
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:

LOL! You've got one of those too, do ya?

You gentle I really doubt that....lol