Home Ratings & Reviews

Undercrown

I don't think I like them. I've had two toros and neither one really sat well with me. I've enjoyed plenty of fuller bodied smokes, but the flavor just seems to be too much. Am I alone on this?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure what you mean. What do you mean by the flavor being too much?
  • GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    Just seems overwhelming. Not quite sure how else to describe it.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I don't think they are nearly as good as the best examples of Ligas I've had, and in my opinion they kind of seem like a diluted Liga No. 9, but I have had a few good experiences with them. I just think I'd pay an extra buck or whatever the price difference is for a Liga, rather than an Undercrown. Once the !Viva! hits, I'll give that a shot though.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I love them. Easily one of my fav smokes. I like the no.9 more, but they are twice the price and 10x as hard to find (at least in my area)... so I will happily smoke Undercrowns 3-5 times a week until I run out of them, and/or the money to restock them. lol
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You're not alone, but I smoked my first a week after I got it. I enjoyed the construction and draw immensly, and I figure a littel rest goes a long way. I just had a RP sun grown tonight that was fantastic, yet the first one I had 3 months ago was horrible from the same batch. To each his own, but I say let one rest. My guess is the 2nd one, and the 3rd from Ocho, will kill it...and I'll be buying a box.
  • I would have to say the under crown is one of my favorite smokes. Great flavor and burn. I like the flavor and I think it has a different taste then the ligas
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    The Undercrown I tried I thought was pretty good. I remember thinking I could see why so many people were digging the flavor here. For me personally however I sort of agree with what doc is saying here and am waiting until this spring or summer to try the other one I have, to see if the flavor gets richer.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I love them! To me they're great ROTT and will probably age well. Flavor, burn, strength - near perfection. My last experience with a no.9 was a bad one. Plugged and unsmokeable. I will buy these over the no.9 for the price any day!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Got one in the humi, but gonna let it sit for another month or so regardless of the temptation. I've heard good and bad about them, but that's the price we pay for the innumerable variations in hand-rolled smokes...
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've enjoyed everyone I' had.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    +1
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    +1
    +2
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    I don't think they are nearly as good as the best examples of Ligas I've had, and in my opinion they kind of seem like a diluted Liga No. 9, but I have had a few good experiences with them. I just think I'd pay an extra buck or whatever the price difference is for a Liga, rather than an Undercrown. Once the !Viva! hits, I'll give that a shot though.
    +1. I'd rather smoke the No9 any day out the week for an extra buck or two. Good thing I stocked up on my No9's!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think they're good but not great. I like the flavors but they aren't like 'WOW' and all the ones I've had so far seem a little too fresh, I'm letting the remaining ones rest for a while and see if the flavors meld together a little more.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Also FWIW, the new T-52 stock that has hit shelves recently, is some of the best ever, according to SS.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Grazuh:
    I don't think I like them. I've had two toros and neither one really sat well with me. I've enjoyed plenty of fuller bodied smokes, but the flavor just seems to be too much. Am I alone on this?
    I agree, I didn't like it one bit. I got about a quarter way down and had to put it out. Disappointing.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    djbeenie:
    Grazuh:
    I agree, I didn't like it one bit. I got about a quarter way down and had to put it out. Disappointing.
    Huh. I really liked the Undercrowns. I tried the Liga Privada No. 9's and I didn't like THEM at all. That is why this is such a KEWL hobby. Everyone can get something totaly unique out of it.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The T52 has the best blend. And I like the Dirty Rat. Don't really care for No.9 blend, feral or T40. And the Undercrown was just plain bad. IMO.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    beatnic:
    The T52 has the best blend. And I like the Dirty Rat. Don't really care for No.9 blend, feral or T40. And the Undercrown was just plain bad. IMO.
    Only had the t9 and undercrown. Thought both were really good. What do you not like about each?
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    To be honest, I think they are a very well made medium-full bodied cigar, but I like the flavor profile in the MOW PA much better, and they don't even come close to the San Lotano habano or the Oval. There's an awful lot of competition in that price range and flavor profile, and I can take or leave the Undercrown. I'll burn 'em if I've got 'em, and I'll probably pick up a few now and again, but there are others that I'll always prefer over these.
    Direwolf:
    beatnic:
    Only had the t9 and undercrown. Thought both were really good. What do you not like about each?
    It seems that the strength/flavor ratio is just a tad to high for me. Love the bellowing smoke, but the flavor of the filler is overshadowed by the spice of the wrapper. JMO. Although I don't turn them down. The Undercrown just has an odd flavor that I can't get over.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Beatnic, if you situation is that you have multiples of the undercrown and dont want them I am willing to trade. Pm incoming.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are ok.....but i am truly turned off (not to a point of not smoking, just kind of a "holy $hit moment) by the amount of smoke this thing gives off. Ive smoked 3 cigars that dont give off as much as this stick does.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    I think they are ok.....but i am truly turned off (not to a point of not smoking, just kind of a "holy $hit moment) by the amount of smoke this thing gives off. Ive smoked 3 cigars that dont give off as much as this stick does.
    you could send smoke signals with the feral,lol
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Had my first recently and flavor was good for first inch. Then flavor and smoke cut in half. Tapped the ash and sure enough a nice hole right down the middle. It never recovered. But it was the first of a 10 pack so I am willing to try it again for sure as the flavor initially was tasty.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    dowjr1:
    Had my first recently and flavor was good for first inch. Then flavor and smoke cut in half. Tapped the ash and sure enough a nice hole right down the middle. It never recovered. But it was the first of a 10 pack so I am willing to try it again for sure as the flavor initially was tasty.
    if you try another and don't like it, I'll trade em off your hands....
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Sure bro no problem. I am open to another one but not a favorite stick for me or anything like that. I have a full box of Liga 9 Toros so I might just make sure to knock those out first.
  • kingdavid5kingdavid5 Posts: 293
    I like them I usually smoke the robustos and they've all been pretty good smokes I haven't tried the T9 yet which I will probably try this week
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dowjr1:
    this has happened to me in both I've smoked. Tons of resting smoke, bit when I draw, just hot air.... it gets past this point and does ok the rest of the way down. Is this because its too moist or oily? The second I had in a case all day, so I figured it'd be dry.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    too much ligero in the filler!