Home Cigar 101

Humidification

ScottUScottU Posts: 194
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but after searching the threads I couldn't come up with an answer that I liked.

I have a 50ct humi that I am constantly having humidification problems with. ranging from 60 - 80% and I'm tired of dealing with it. Is there an electric humidifier with a hygrometer that I can fill, put in and have it manage? I saw the humicare but could not find any reviews on it.

I guess the best way of puttting it would be HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP   :) Thanks

Comments

• tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Buy humidity beads by hearfelt industries. Little to no maintenence and you can buy them at 65 or 70rh.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tankbonnies:
    Buy humidity beads by hearfelt industries. Little to no maintenence and you can buy them at 65 or 70rh.
    i agree with this. all the electric ones out there would turn that 50ct into a 25-30ct.

if you dont have many cigars in there you should buy more. a humi has a harder time keeping RH when its less than 1/4 full. best range is 50-80% full.
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    1+ for the beads.  I had a hard time keeping my 50 ct with glass top near 60% and that's recharging at least once a week.  Added 1 2 oz and 1 1oz (and the Puck which might be 1/4 oz) tube and I'm sitting pretty at about 68% and it pops right back after opening.

My 100ct adding the same thing to it (along with the out of the box humidifier but leaving it a little drier) is coming down to the 67% to 68% range in top and bottom also.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    kuzi-are you saying it is not a good idea to keep my humi completly full? I'm thinking of getting a box of 5vegas that would certainly pack my humi full for a little while till I smoked some. I have a 100 count humi. The rh is holding at 68% since I took all the advice I got off of this forum.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I'd say get the beads or get a jar of the humi-care gel. I have a 4oz jar of the humi-care gel in my 50ct desktop humidor and never have a problem. I keep it about 3/4 stocked with smokes and it stays at 67-70% RH. In my coolerdor I have the beads and they keep it 65-67% RH.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I would say that my humi is about 50% full... I think it might be bigger than 50ct now that I think about it though. It's 12 1/4 Wide 8 1/2 Deep and 5 1/4 tall. Has anyone hd experience with the humi care or bead packs by Boveda?

Also need a good digi hydrometer suggestion.

Thanks for everyones input so far...
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    ScottU:
    I would say that my humi is about 50% full... I think it might be bigger than 50ct now that I think about it though. It's 12 1/4 Wide 8 1/2 Deep and 5 1/4 tall. Has anyone hd experience with the humi care or bead packs by Boveda?

Also need a good digi hydrometer suggestion.

Thanks for everyones input so far...
    One of these would take care of it and you wouldn't have to worry about it anymore http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HMC04

I've got a cheap digital hygrometer that I've tested against the salt test to be off by 3%. I plan to get one of these because they are adjustable. http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HMC09
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    I got the beads and tubes (you can buy the tubes already filled) and another adjustable digi hygrometer from Heartfelt Industries.  $20-$25 for a digi hygo unless you find some fancy/pretty ones. Big Smile [:D]
    bwcarter54:
    kuzi-are you saying it is not a good idea to keep my humi completly full? I'm thinking of getting a box of 5vegas that would certainly pack my humi full for a little while till I smoked some. I have a 100 count humi. The rh is holding at 68% since I took all the advice I got off of this forum.
    no. im saying that only a few sticks in there will not hold a steady RH. then you get to about 1/2 - 3/4 full and it will very well. above that, itll still hold fairly steady (you wont have to worry about it) but you will see a fluctuation from time to time and the recovery time from opening will be a bit longer.

my humi cant fit another stick.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bwcarter54:

my humi cant fit another stick.
    that's what she said....
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    back on topic, I charged a good 80-90 percent of my beads in my 300 count humi and the rh has been staying steady at around 65. I guess it does help to keep them all charged up. been that way for a good few weeks or so.
    I got it!!! The answer to RH problems is simply to buy more cigars! I bought half a dozen more yesterday (as well as  a digital hydrometer.) and this monring when I popped it open it was at 75%.

So now, lets reverse the question - What should I do for a humi that has an RH that is too high?

Thanks All!
    Scott
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    ScottU:
    I got it!!! The answer to RH problems is simply to buy more cigars! I bought half a dozen more yesterday (as well as  a digital hydrometer.) and this monring when I popped it open it was at 75%.

So now, lets reverse the question - What should I do for a humi that has an RH that is too high?

Thanks All!
    Scott
    What do you have in there for humidity? When I see one of my humidors get that high, I usually open it for a while. If you have too many devices, then you want to take one or two out. I have one humi that is usually on the high side and that is the one that i just had beetles in. When I finally reseasoned it, I put both devices that came with it in and I was like 80%. So, I pulled one out and it got to around 68. I let the other dry out a little and put it back in and now I am around 71.
    ScottU:

Thanks All!
    Scott
    well, once your humidor balences out the cigars will help keep your RH where it needs to be. so... more cigars is always a good answer.

another thing you can do to bring down RH is put in a bit of unseasoned spanish cedar. I dont like that method myself. i keep my beads so they can soak up extra RH. ... if RH gets too high i open the humi for a bit. that hasnt happened in over a year.
    I gotta get some new devices for the dome humi. I used PG in them and they are getting moldy again. The last time I boiled them but I am sure they will not stand up to another boil. And I though PG was supposed to be naturally anti mold. I bought a new Prometheous device that I have yet to use. I don't have room for beads so that isn't an option at the moment but once I get the inventory down I can get some. I also think that if the device is moldy, well my cigars aren't and 98% of them are in cello.
    I'm using a tub of ICE Gel Crystals. I may have over-filled it???

i thought PG was mold resistant also.

no room for beads?

put the beads in where the foam was on the humidifier you currently have...

or is it a different style than what im thinking ?
    They are rectangle devices. Once they come apart the don't go back together. I tried glue once and it smelled so I threw it away.
    Success! I laid the cap over the ICE jar (without **** it on) and it's maintained at 67 since this afternoon. *Crosses fingers*
    Just an update to anyone that may have future issues:

I added a dozen new sticks, and a digital hydrometer. With the lid of the ICE jar off it was keeping them about 72% RH, so I loosely screwed the cap on the jar and it's maintaining 65-66% beautifully.

Thanks to all for their input/advise. (Plus it's a good excuse to keep my humi more full Big Smile [:D])
  • kuzi16:
    ScottU:

Thanks All!
    Scott
    well, once your humidor balences out the cigars will help keep your RH where it needs to be. so... more cigars is always a good answer.

another thing you can do to bring down RH is put in a bit of unseasoned spanish cedar. I dont like that method myself. i keep my beads so they can soak up extra RH. ... if RH gets too high i open the humi for a bit. that hasnt happened in over a year.

Kuzi, thanks for the light!

How long is a "bit"?

My RH is getting a little higher (75-80%) now that the cold temperatures are gone. I'm in Mexico so hot humid climates are a normal part of any day.

Is there anything else I can use to balance out the humidity in there besides more cigars and cedar?

Again, thanks!