Home Cigar 101

Small cigars

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
What are some smaller sticks you all like? I need to get some like the Short Story and what not. I have not had to many, what would you recommend?

Comments

• 415415 Posts: 951
    by small do you mean ring gauge? length? or smoking time?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    LFD corajos. thats one of my favorites.
    davidoff maduro has a petite corona.
    there are others out there that are good but those are my favorites.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    length and ring size, just looking for something that I could pop outside for a quick 30ish minutes or so.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Definitely the LFD Corajos. Also, pretty much any of the minutos coming from the ISOM, but especially the Trinidad Reyes for me. Had a few really good Davidoff Entreactos lately as well.
    docbp87:
    Definitely the LFD Corajos. Also, pretty much any of the minutos coming from the ISOM, but especially the Trinidad Reyes for me. Had a few really good Davidoff Entreactos lately as well.
    hmmm. still havent broken open the box of reyes yet. maybe this weekend.

davidoff puro d oro sublimes
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    415:
    docbp87:

Don't do it because you'll go through them quick lol...j/k....they seriously are amazing smokes...but man, it's easy to go through them quickly :(
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    What are some smaller sticks you all like? I need to get some like the Short Story and what not. I have not had to many, what would you recommend?
    I love the Short Story (Maduro). Its about a 30 min -45 min smoke but, I love the blend.
    Nick2021:
    415:
    docbp87:

Don't do it because you'll go through them quick lol...j/k....they seriously are amazing smokes...but man, it's easy to go through them quickly :(
    at 5-6$ a stick i hope i fall in love with them. it would be nice to have a cheap go to smoke
    415:
    Nick2021:
    415:
    docbp87:

at 5-6$ a stick i hope i fall in love with them. it would be nice to have a cheap go to smoke
    Don't do it man. Just don't do it. They are like... cigar heroin!
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    I`d say the short stories are certainly a good place to start. Im currently burning up diesel coronas like i have a,life time supply. An inexpensive 30-40 minute option.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    My favs = Tat PCRs and Tat Petite, JdN Peligroso - all of these probably a bit more than 30min though

docbp87:
    I can't even get reg sized isom lol
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    1844-50s and J Fuego Origen Originals
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    docbp87:
    Yeah, how do you guys get ISOM's??? For smaller smokes I like my tins of Torano Exodus 1959 Gold, they're like little sticks of creamy chocolate.
    bigharpoon:
    deejmemixx:
    docbp87:
    Yeah, how do you guys get ISOM's??? For smaller smokes I like my tins of Torano Exodus 1959 Gold, they're like little sticks of creamy chocolate.
    there is a dont ask dont tell policy on ISOM's

shhhh

i dont understand the need to have a 30 min smoke on a lunch break. i mean i get it, you wanna relax for a sec, but that sure feels like its rushing it. i never want to feel rushed when smoking a cigar. i dont wanna time frame. i dont want a "smoke break"
    it just has the feel of being a slave to the cigar like a smoker is a slave to a cigarette.

every cigar mentioned so far in this thread is solidly OVER 30 minutes for me. coronas usually last me over an hour. the LFD corajos are in the neighborhood of 45 minutes.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    deejmemixx:
    docbp87:

shhhh

They're gay???

kuzi16:
    i dont understand the need to have a 30 min smoke on a lunch break. i mean i get it, you wanna relax for a sec, but that sure feels like its rushing it. i never want to feel rushed when smoking a cigar. i dont wanna time frame. i dont want a "smoke break"
    it just has the feel of being a slave to the cigar like a smoker is a slave to a cigarette.

every cigar mentioned so far in this thread is solidly OVER 30 minutes for me. coronas usually last me over an hour. the LFD corajos are in the neighborhood of 45 minutes.

I don't feel like I'm trying to force a cigar in. In fact that is one of my New Year's resolutions, making time and really settling in to enjoy a smoke. For me, sometimes I don't have an hour because of kids or cold temperatures. Even if the cigar only lasts 45 minutes I enjoy it thoroughly and then go warm up or go back to being a Papa.
    bigharpoon:
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    deejmemixx:
    docbp87:

shhhh

They're gay???

kuzi16:

I don't feel like I'm trying to force a cigar in. In fact that is one of my New Year's resolutions, making time and really settling in to enjoy a smoke. For me, sometimes I don't have an hour because of kids or cold temperatures. Even if the cigar only lasts 45 minutes I enjoy it thoroughly and then go warm up or go back to being a Papa.
    exactly, there are times I feel I am taking away time from the family but I still want to sit and relax for 30-45 minutes.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    A Fuente Short Story. Come in Barber Pole (A little larger), Maddy, and Natural!
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    bigharpoon:
    deejmemixx:
    docbp87:

As far as Cubans, I've run across many smaller ring-gauge smokes with serious draw issues. The HdM Coronation immediately comes to mind.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    My personal 2 favs are:
    Room 101 Namakubi - Papi Chulo and Roxxo
    Tatuaje Havana VI - Verocu No 5
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Oliva V #4...
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    A Fuente Short Story. Come in Barber Pole (A little larger), Maddy, and Natural!
    Big +1. I love those little things, even if you can't find (or afford) the between the lines the regular short story's are an awesome smoke and a great representation of Cameroon.
  • Padron londres or delicias are great smaller smokes for the price.
    Kuzi makes a good point, in that most every smoke mentioned in this thread (including those I mentioned) are actually more like 45 minute to an hour, or even more, in length for me. I mentioned how much I love the Trinidad Reyes (the smallest size in the marca's line up, at 4.3x40), but in reality they tend to last me around an hour, sometimes longer (up to 1:20), and if I've had too much to drink, sometimes less (lol). For smokes that actually really can be smoked at a proper pace in around a half hour... the AVO Domaine Puritos are awesome. Lots of the awesome, oily, leathery, musky flavor in a small enough package that it can be enjoyed on your lunch break (and I often do). Also, some of the really small Davidoffs are reasonable for that amount of time. Personally, I tend to keep packages of Ambassadrice, Exquisitos, and Primeros around for this very situation. Each of these three uses tobacco from one of the full sized blends we all know and love so much.

Slightly larger, and realistically, still maybe more than 30 minutes of smoke time, but also less expensive than the Davidoff options, the Petit Cabaiguan, Petit Tatuaje and Petit Reserva (not the PCR, just the Petit Reserva) are all flavor bombs in a tiny format. Even cheaper, but still delicious, and tiny are the Fuente Cubanitos, tiny Cameroon wrapped miniature panetelas.
    Unthought_Known:
    Padron londres or delicias are great smaller smokes for the price.
    Isn't the londres the full corona size? Like a 5.5x42? That's like an hour and 30 minute smoke, son!
  • docbp87:
    Unthought_Known:
    Isn't the londres the full corona size? Like a 5.5x42? That's like an hour and 30 minute smoke, son!
    Not for me! I finish a Churchill in about an hour or so.
    Unthought_Known:
    docbp87:
    Unthought_Known:
    holy crap

i dont know how that isnt harsh and bitter as all hell.
  • kuzi16:
    Unthought_Known:
    docbp87:
    Unthought_Known:
    holy crap

Well, I was slightly exaggerating. But a Toro will typically last me about an hour. If I tried to stretch a 5.5x42 for an hour, I'd probably have to relight several times. I don't know how people can smoke that slow without it going out.

I definitely smoke faster than most people, but the weird thing is that I almost always get an even burn. There's no cone shape when I ash.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Unthought_Known:
    kuzi16:
    Unthought_Known:
    docbp87:
    Unthought_Known:
    holy crap

Well, I was slightly exaggerating. But a Toro will typically last me about an hour. If I tried to stretch a 5.5x42 for an hour, I'd probably have to relight several times. I don't know how people can smoke that slow without it going out.

I definitely smoke faster than most people, but the weird thing is that I almost always get an even burn. There's no cone shape when I ash.
    hahaha, the age old "am I smoking too fast or are you smoking too slow?" debate which I think is similar to the cello vs non cello debate. There is no right answer.

Everyone has their smoking speed and its the one that feels right and tastes right for you.

I find that for me its the ring guage that drives how much I care how fast I'm smoking, which is a little faster than most. Anything under a mid 40s rg for me I find I need to pay more attention to the speed because it either gets bitter (too fast) or it goes out on me (too slow), but the thicker the ring the more forgiving it is. So because of that, I find that I smoke a corona and a robusto in about the same amount of time, 45-60 minutes, and maybe even a bit shorter time on the robusto. It's just way more forgiving to smoke faster so I don't need to be as patient. So depending on my mood I will or won't smoke a cigar that I need to baby along. Somedays I don't want to think at all, and some days I don't mind slowing down and analyzing it more. Also I think some belnds are worth the slowing down thats required in the thinner rings while others aren't.

Kuzi, I think you said a while ago that you need to learn how to smoke a corona, which is a funny statement but holds a lot of truth.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    1844-50s and J Fuego Origen Originals
    Listen to Steve, he know what he is talking about! The Origen is a BRILLIANT cheap stick and a good 30-45 min depending on how you baby them, and the 1844 blend is a solid maduro with the 50's being very similarly sized to the Short Story. For a pricier smoke I would throw in the Ashton VSG Enchantment, same size and general shape as the WOAM etc, but they are about $16 a pop... it's still a stick that is in my top 5 regardless. Oliva V #4 is also a 45 min smoke that really lets the blend shine in my opinion, the smaller vitola really makes it a far fuller-flavored stick with some of the notes being much more evident than in other vitolas. Finally, the Cohiba Pequeno's are very solid 30 min smokes and won't kill your bank; they come in a 5 pack tin so its handy to travel with as well.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."