Home Cigar 101
Options

shuriken cigar cutter

ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
Any one use one of these? They look interesting i was thinking of picking one up. Just curious if they work/ how well they work.

Comments

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I agree, they do look interesting, but I'd like to try one before committing to buying. Even though cigar caps are relatively soft I think the blades would eventually dull and tear the cap pretty badly.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Interesting idea. I'd question how well it works on a cigar with a firm draw and also the frequency of tar build-up, I can easily see the latter of the two becoming an issue, especially if the former condition exists.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    I agree, they do look interesting, but I'd like to try one before committing to buying. Even though cigar caps are relatively soft I think the blades would eventually dull and tear the cap pretty badly.
    That is exactly what i was thinking. I dont have any buds around here to that smoke and neither of the B&M's have any in stock to try out, and no one that works there has used them ( maybe i should take that as a sign). The thing i find most curious is it works on torps. I have to know how the hell that works
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Interesting idea. I'd question how well it works on a cigar with a firm draw and also the frequency of tar build-up, I can easily see the latter of the two becoming an issue, especially if the former condition exists.

+1.
    As for how it would work on a Toro... It looks pretty shallow in the pictures I saw. I'm clueless on that issue, too.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    My B&M has them and they love em. I have yet to try them, but they said the draw is awesome, although there can be tar buildup like a punch cut. I'm fine with a normal scissor cut.
  • Options
    I think I'll stay with my CC Perfect cut.
  • Options
    thanks for the responses maybe i should just invest my money in a better cutter.Or maybe i will get lucky and ccom will put it on the daily deal or sprint sale=)
  • Options
    I'd recommend a Xikar or Cuban Crafters. I was gifted a Colibri Firebird and liked it, but my Perfect Cut is the bomb! No guess work involved, just place the head of the stick against the backplate and snip.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    I'd recommend a Xikar or Cuban Crafters. I was gifted a Colibri Firebird and liked it, but my Perfect Cut is the bomb! No guess work involved, just place the head of the stick against the backplate and snip.
    Does the perfect cut work well on every cigar? even torpedos? Because i am still pretty fresh in this and i am terrified that i will cut to much off and the cigar will unravel.
  • Options
    It's virtually impossible to cut too much off with this one, at least in my experience so far. Having tried cutting a Torp yet, but you would probably have to do a second cut. The backplate has a hole in the middle, so it may work. I'll have to try in the morning and report back. Maybe one of the other BORK's has more info on it.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    It's virtually impossible to cut too much off with this one, at least in my experience so far. Having tried cutting a Torp yet, but you would probably have to do a second cut. The backplate has a hole in the middle, so it may work. I'll have to try in the morning and report back. Maybe one of the other BORK's has more info on it.
    I just looked it up. says it works on torps. Has a great price too i might pick one up soon.
  • Options
    JSXJSX Posts: 5
    Imgembo:
    Toombes:

Does the perfect cut work well on every cigar? even torpedos? Because i am still pretty fresh in this and i am terrified that i will cut to much off and the cigar will unravel.

I use one and it cuts torps just fine, it wont take too much off. Cuts a Diesel UHC perfect in one shot, had others that I had to cut twice.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    It's doo-doo, plain and simple. The one stick I have smoked cut with the Shuriken was a NIGHTMARE.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    docbp87:
    It's doo-doo, plain and simple. The one stick I have smoked cut with the Shuriken was a NIGHTMARE.
    +1
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    It looks neat, but I kinda question the draw given that the slits are so small. That and I'm pretty sure there's a reason why double guillotines, punches, and V cuts have been around so long while others haven't. I'd rather have something tried and true than something that looks like a novelty gift.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that to improve the draw, you're supposed to bite down on the head of the cigar a little bit thereby squeezing the slits open a little. Wouldn't work for me.... I dislike biting on the end of my cigar and I detest soggy, chewed-up stogies.
  • Options
    well i think i lost my cutter some where in las vegas as i looked for it for an hour today before i finally found a punch cutter so i could smoke on this wonderful after noon. I think i am going to go with the cuban crafters on
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSX:
    Imgembo:
    Toombes:
    I use one and it cuts torps just fine, it wont take too much off. Cuts a Diesel UHC perfect in one shot, had others that I had to cut twice.
    I use mine on torps all the time usually have to make two cuts. It's great and a great price.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    It looks neat, but I kinda question the draw given that the slits are so small. That and I'm pretty sure there's a reason why double guillotines, punches, and V cuts have been around so long while others haven't. I'd rather have something tried and true than something that looks like a novelty gift.

+1 I'll stick to what I know will work.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    used one, didnt like it. v-cut any day of the week.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    jlmarta:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that to improve the draw, you're supposed to bite down on the head of the cigar a little bit thereby squeezing the slits open a little.
    Slight necrothread here fellas, but thought I would share my experience with the Shuriken cutter. Keep in mind that as I type this I am smoking the ONLY cigar Ive cut with the Shuriken (just received it last night), but will try to remember to post further experiences with it as I try it on more / different sizes of cigars.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way... cut a Nub Connie 354 with it. You cannot even SEE the cut the thing made at first, which made me skeptical. Tried a pre-light draw and it was crazy tight, but figured out pretty quickly that a SLIGHT squeeze with the teeth when drawing opens the draw right up (hence my reference of jlmarta's post above). The Nub lit fine.

Im about a third of the way thru it right now and have noticed no tar buildup, although it is of course still early in the smoke. I will get back on this thread later to update on this. The cuts the Shuriken have made are now clearly visible as small slits, and I dont have to do the slight squeeze with the teeth anymore to open up the draw when I pull on it.

Gotta run for now, stupid work is getting in the way of my forum enjoyment!!! LOL Will definitely update the review later, but at this very early point in the experiment it seems like a good new product. I picked the Shuriken up for well less than $10, and at that price it so far seems like a steal.

More to follow, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel....

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    please, please, please, get back to us. i am very interested in this thing.

is there a way to attach it to a keychain? i miss having one on me at all times.
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    x2 im interested in these but i can't see how it'd work as well as my bullet punch i made for nothing (30 30 shell from shooting with my grandfather years ago cleaned up and sharpened)
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that to improve the draw, you're supposed to bite down on the head of the cigar a little bit thereby squeezing the slits open a little.
    Slight necrothread here fellas, but thought I would share my experience with the Shuriken cutter. Keep in mind that as I type this I am smoking the ONLY cigar Ive cut with the Shuriken (just received it last night), but will try to remember to post further experiences with it as I try it on more / different sizes of cigars.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way... cut a Nub Connie 354 with it. You cannot even SEE the cut the thing made at first, which made me skeptical. Tried a pre-light draw and it was crazy tight, but figured out pretty quickly that a SLIGHT squeeze with the teeth when drawing opens the draw right up (hence my reference of jlmarta's post above). The Nub lit fine.

Im about a third of the way thru it right now and have noticed no tar buildup, although it is of course still early in the smoke. I will get back on this thread later to update on this. The cuts the Shuriken have made are now clearly visible as small slits, and I dont have to do the slight squeeze with the teeth anymore to open up the draw when I pull on it.

Gotta run for now, stupid work is getting in the way of my forum enjoyment!!! LOL Will definitely update the review later, but at this very early point in the experiment it seems like a good new product. I picked the Shuriken up for well less than $10, and at that price it so far seems like a steal.

More to follow, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel....

Thanks for letting us know what you thing about it. I ended up just pruchasing a cuban crafters cutter. My girls father just ordered the shuriken though. I plan on trying it out when i go back there sometime this summer.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I thought the Shuriken looked interesting, but damn I love my Xikar X2. I am interested to see Sniper's full report.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    I thought the Shuriken looked interesting, but damn I love my Xikar X2. I am interested to see Sniper's full report.
    +1 to all of this
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Great! Please let us all know what you think of it. And I, personally, will want to know where you got it for that price - assuming it's worth having. Your review of it will let me know....

Thanks muchly, Sniper-man....
  • Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I was given one as a sample, and they work pretty well except for the smaller cigars. It slices four sides and you can't even see it but the draw is pretty good. I still prefer my v cut but it is an interesting tool.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    jlmarta:

Continuing...

Had zero zip NADA problems while smoking the Nub. So far, so good!

Next up came the CAO OSA Sol in the robusto. Was in a hurry when I used the Shuriken on this, and at this point learned there is a design defect to the cutter - they did NOT idiot proof this thing for me! LOL Pushed the cigar in, and being in a hurry wasnt sure I "got it" on the initial cut Went to push the cigar in a little deeper... slight resistance... POP! Sunk that beeotch way too deep and went past the cap. OH **** I thought, just wasted that cigar!

However, in true Sniper fashion (too stupid to know when to quit LOL) I decided to fire it up anyway and guess what - NO problem with the smoke! Drew fine, smoked fine... I couldnt believe it! Again, so far so good.

Smoke #3 cut with the Shuriken was a La Aurora in the robusto. Perfect cut, and same smoking experience as the Nub - couldnt see the cuts at first, slight bite with the teeth opened the draw to where I like it, slits opened up as I went smoked along. Good stuff!

Smoke #4 was a EP Carrillo New Wave, in the Stella (5.1" x 42) size. Uh oh, here comes trouble! This was the first flat-out strikeout for the Shuriken. After putting the cigar in the cutter, I couldnt draw it for ****. The bite trick didnt work at all either. Couldnt even draw it well enough to get it lit. Cut it with the Xikar Xi2, and the New Wave fired right up. In the Shuriken's defense, this may have been my fault more than the cutters - my frame of mind was FUBAR due to dealing with my ex, immediately followed by having an employer feel me out about a position (YAY ME!), so I wasnt paying nearly as close enough attention to using the Shuriken as I probably should have been.

So far, here's my impressions of the Shuriken cutter...

Does it work? Yes.

Does it work well? Yes - IF you're paying attention to what you're doing when you use it, and I base that on the OSA Sol and the New Wave cuts. I was distracted both times, and both times I had trouble.

In the Shuriken's defense, when I first used a double guillotine, it took a while to get to the point where Im at now (can use one with no thought involved). When I first used a punch, it took a while to get the hang of it. The only cutter Ive used that cut a cigar the way I liked it and was foolproof is a V-cutter. Im happy enough so far with the Shuriken that I will continue to use it and see if I get the hang of it.

And since there was a decent amount of interest in my experiences (which actually surprised me) I will continue to post how it goes with more cigars of different sizes over the next couple days.

Again, stay tuned me bruddahs. Now, on to the questions and comments...

• Options
    kuzi16:
    please, please, please, get back to us. i am very interested in this thing.

is there a way to attach it to a keychain? i miss having one on me at all times.
    Will keep you posted kuz. Baby mama drama has got me smoking like a freight train lately, so I should be able to provide a decent number of research samples.

No keychain attachment, which might be a good upgrade to Shuriken 2.0 if they come out with a next generation of the cutter. My only concern with the idea is Im not sure a person would want something so bulky on their keys. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow or over the weekend at the latest, and will try to include some comparative shots that will give some idea of the size.