Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, Paducah is down my way, so watch it with the jokes Mr. Funny Man. ;)

I guess I've pretty much raced to 25 posts, but I'm still going to sit out the trades and such until I get my stock built up. Right now, I wouldn't have much variety to send anybody.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    BFGarner:
    Northern Kentucky is very different than the rest of Kentucky. We wear shoes We don't have accents

LMAO
    Hey urbino well I'll holler at you when I come through then, we'll smoke a few on my expense account ;).
    Well, unfortunately for me, Paducah isn't that close to Memphis. Just close enough to show up on the local weather radar. Thanks for the offer, though!
    LOL its also not big enough to have its own airport or tobacconist I'm sure. So who knows I might have to fly into Memphis.
    Well now that's possible. Give a holler if you do come through. Maybe we can arrange a meet-up, or if not, I can at least point you to the better local shops.
    Sounds like a plan. Never made it to Memphis before, Nashville plenty of times, MANNNNNN I have some stories about Coyote Ugly there. I was at a conference and went there and met ..... not the time and place for that story. Maybe over a cigar.
    Heh. That does sound like a cigar story.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Ubino/BF I was on vacation at a place on Kentucky Lake in Paducha a few years ago and the place was a dry county.. Whats up with that ? While I was there I met Tommy Lee Jones filming the movie The Fugitive ( I Think) he was at the Paducha Hospital in the emergency room filming a scene in the room right next to me. And I was freaked because there was a crashed airplane in a river there too. they just hadn't gotten around to taking it out after another scene was filmed. That town was buzzing with activity that week. But a nice place to visit , and live I would imagine.
    I may just be lurking as well to start in on the Fun. It might be time to join the fun I just got a buch of new stuff that I would love to share. And we all know you will not be parting with with the prized Nubs for any reason Maduro..
    Yeah, Kentucky Lake is nice. I've never been to the Paducah part of it, though. Just the part around Paris, TN. Sounds like you were there at the peak of Paducah's interesting-ness.
    Well, lucky for me.. I was just looking for somewhere to fish with my brothers and it seemed nice enough when we spoke to the man at the outdoor show a few months earlier.... He was right, a friendly part of our country to say the least..
  • Hello Im Cori from Los Angeles, CA Ive been smoking cigars for a little over a year now. My choice of smoke is the Ashton(any ashton is good) VSG, Rocky Patel Vintage,Flor De Oliva, La Veija Havana.
    Hey Cori, welcome to the group.. I see that you and I share a few favorites If you like Ashton you will like Avo and The Griffins too. Rocky Patel vintage is a proven winner for me too. I don't have much experience with the Flor De Oliva but may try one soon.. Again, welcome to this group of great people.
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Welcome Cori from LA
    Yes, welcome. (From a fellow newbie.)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    we are all still newbies. I am. I learn something every day from this forum. Its great.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    we are all still newbies. I am. I learn something every day from this forum. Its great.
    Cheers to that one! I hope to always be able to learn something new, in cigars, my career and life in general.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Welcome to the Forum CigarKing323. Had my first VSG a couple months back, loved it. Since then have slowly been building a collection for aging and smokin.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263

Cheers all.  I'm about as new as they get.  While I've enjoyed cigars for the last 10+ years, it's only been about 2-3 per year over that time.  I never really expect to become a connoisseur, or really progress beyond anything but a recreational (2-3 cigars/month) smoker.

I got a (very small box) humi and am in the process of slowly activating it.  My wife thought it a great idea to get me a variety pack of six cigars for Father's Day, which came recommended by the clerk at the local Tinder Box.  She doesn't fully understand why that wasn't necessarily the best idea, and why I can't just throw them in the humidor, but her intentions were good :)

Anyway, smoking will be, for me, a casual hobby added to the growing list of my other hobbies (rock climbing, ice hockey, piano, backpacking, woodworking, etc. etc.)  I would love to get hints/tips/recommendations from y'all who have such a wealth of experience.  On the rare occassion I've had a cigar recommended by an avid smoker, I've thoroughly enjoyed the smoke.

In the meantime, my biggest concern is that I live in Charlotte, NC.  The temperature in our house tends to stay above 75 degrees for the better part of the summer.  I'm confident I'll be able to retain a humidity between 65 and 70 (hooray beads), but all your talk about beetles has me petrified.  I'd hate to have to spring for a cooler just to keep the temp of my tiny box regulated and keep the beetles at bay.

I don't intend to keep any one cigar in the humi for more than 6-12 months, so am not focused on "aging" them.  However, I am not sure if these higher temps will cause a rapid degradation of the cigars.

OK.. I've taken enough of your time and this isn't really the thread for this type of advice.  As a final thought, the best smoke I ever had was an Onyx Reserve about 10-12 years ago.  Although a close second would have been a Montecristo Churchill.  I'm not too concerned about price of a cigar, but I found myself blown away by the amazing value of the Onyx.  I wonder if they're still pretty similar these days.

OK OK.. That's enough.  I tend to be long-winded.  Nice to meet you all,

Joe

Hey Joe Welcome to this great group of knowledgeable people.. You can learn and share a lot here. You say you use to smoke two or three cigars a year, well hang out a while a that will change. With all the great suggestions you will read about you will want to try them all. Buy samplers, try different sticks, and soon you will find your own favorites. You already have hit on a couple of good ones with the Onyx and Montecrito. I like the 5 vegas alot of Fuentes labels, Patel, Avo, Camacho and CAO. Its seems like there are so many good cigars out there that smokers have let sellers know what they demand in a cigar, and that is what we are provided. This is a good time to be a cigar smoker. Quality is what you get. Enjoy your search. I can't offer the best advice for your temperature problem but believe me , you will get the answers here .
    joe, don't worry about the cigar beetles too much. The likelihood of actually getting beetles is slim. The amount of cigars your storing in a "small box" would hardly be worth the expense. I'm aging upwards of 300 cigars right now, its a whole lot of money to risk.
    Anyways welcome aboard buddy! I too am long winded so don't worry about that!
    Maduro, you of all people talking about " you know what " have you gone to therapy to help you with that phobia...
    Welcome, Joe!
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196

Welcome to the site, and enjoy yourself!!

please ask questions. we love questions.
    heck, even if i dont know the answer ill take a stab. its fun. and we all learn from it.
    kaspera79:
    Maduro, you of all people talking about " you know what " have you gone to therapy to help you with that phobia...
    LMAO no I'm still paranoid as ever. Dude, I bought a 48 bottle wine fridge and I inspect my humi every other day thanks to you guys. I was just letting him know if he's only storing 20 or so sticks its not rational to spend the money. I, on the other hand, am storing 300+ and I'm not rational so ...
    madurofan:
    kaspera79:
    LMAO no I'm still paranoid as ever. Dude, I bought a 48 bottle wine fridge and I inspect my humi every other day thanks to you guys. I was just letting him know if he's only storing 20 or so sticks its not rational to spend the money. I, on the other hand, am storing 300+ and I'm not rational so ...
    ha ha!! wait... why am i laughing... im the one talking about building a humidor with a peltier device for the same reason.
    How much is that peltier device? And how many sq ft does it support?
    basicly its a heat sink. im not sure about the volume that it can handle. my only problem is that there is a hot side and a cool side. the cool side is 55*f. and thats good by me. this is the side that is facing in the humidor. the hot side that will be outside the humidor temps at about 180-190. i cant imagine that being good.

it is only $35 or so, but the hot side will have to be delt with somehow. it may be in my best intrest to just get a thermoelectric wine cooler. (though they work on the same system but they have an insulated area for the hot side...) maybe just a smaller peltier device. the one i have has my eye on is this one:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PJT-10/LARGE-THERMOELECTRIC-DEVICE/1.html

i still have time to think abou it.