Home Ratings & Reviews

Room 101 Namakubi 5 x 60 Monstro ~ An Amateur's Point of View

Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
Namakubi, go ahead and say it (Nah-mah-koo-bee). Kinda fun to say, isn’t it?

So what is a Namakubi? It’s the Japanese term for a freshly severed head. Back in the days of the Samurai, defeat always ended in the loser getting his head cut off. The head was then placed on an ornate wooden tray and presented to the leader of the winning clan.

Not so fun if you’re the loser.

What does this have to do with cigars? Nothing, except Room 101 Cigars celebrates the “Southern California lifestyle”, and the Japanese culture is alive and well in Los Angeles.

The cigar I’m reviewing today is the 5 x 60 aptly named the Monstro, although Monstro isn’t a Japanese word. Hmmm.

The cigar is solidly rolled in a gorgeous Habano wrapper. The binder is Honduran, and the fillers are Dominican and Honduran.

The cigar smells of freshly tanned leather with a hint of black pepper.

Torching the foot and I would have sworn I just put a handful of juicy, ripe Black Cherries into my mouth. I’ve noted the same flavor in other Honduran cigars, just not this prominent.

The fruity element faded as the cigar burned, and leather, earth, and sweet spices were the dominant flavors.

The draw is flawless and each puff produces a huge volume of thick, rich smoke that clings to the palate.

The second third, some subtle nuttiness appeared along with hints of vanilla.

Really not getting much stronger than medium, the flavors really hold the attention.

The last third and the cigar turned into a full bodied, full flavor frenzy with damp, peaty earth and pepper taking charge.

As I got down to the nub, my head was spinning and I felt like I was punched in the gut.

I’m glad I ate a full dinner, because things could have gotten really ugly, really fast.

On a side note, upon my return from Iraq in 2006, my wife made an awesome drawing. She drew a picture of me in my uniform (with weapons, etc…) standing next to a lake. The reflection in the lake was a Samurai.

And yes, before you ask, my ancestors were Samurai.

I'm guessing that they were the choppers and not the choppees since I'm here to do this review.

The Namakubi is limited to 100,000 sticks across the five different sizes. At close to $10 a stick, it’s not an everyday smoke, but if you grab a few, I’m certain you won’t be disappointed.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    The choppers...classic bro! Nice review, this smoke is high on my list and room 101 is destroying the medium world. Just got a San Andreas and I cannot wait to fire it up
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Agreed, however this one definitely finished with a bang. Kinda like the grand finale at a fireworks show.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Agreed, however this one definitely finished with a bang. Kinda like the grand finale at a fireworks show.
    The OSOK I had did too. I am thinking the 60ga probably had something to do with it. I can tell you one thing....the cherry note has me sold. I cannot friggin wait to try one.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    These are high on my need to try list. Room 101 makes a hell of a stick!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    On a side note, upon my return from Iraq in 2006, my wife made an awesome drawing. She drew a picture of me in my uniform (with weapons, etc…) standing next to a lake. The reflection in the lake was a Samurai.

And yes, before you ask, my ancestors were Samurai.
    Ok, you make a statement like that and not expect someone to make a comment about where is the picture of it? So I'll be the one to step up and say, Where is the picture of it, it sounds extremely cool!!

Oh yeah, great review. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I wish I knew. It got lost in the move from Cali to Las Vegas. I'm trying to get the wife inspired to do another one.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    I wish I knew. It got lost in the move from Cali to Las Vegas. I'm trying to get the wife inspired to do another one.
    Well, tell her to do another one, because she needs to share her talent with people who will appreciate art like that. It amazes me when people do artwork. How they get the vision from the pencil, pen, paintbrush or what ever means to their canvas (whether it be paper, canvas, metal or what ever), is beyond me. For that matter, sculptors (rock, wood, clay or whatever) or wood workers are another area of art that amazes me.

Sorry, I got off topic. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    I hear ya. She gets inspired every now and then, but then quits for a long period of time and goes on to something else. Kinda like how I get inspired to do a review every now and then.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Nice review, I encourage you to try the Papi Chulo size. The review was spot for me. The Ppaip Chulo has a little more spice which I enjoyed as well. I also have some Roxxo size that I have resting.