Home Ratings & Reviews

Looking for mild suggestions for a newbie

I am just starting to get into the cigar scene and I am looking for some suggestions for some mild or even flavored cigars that you might recommend. I keep seeing to start mild and work up. I am ready to get the ball rolling. Definitely makes me wish I paid closer attention to the different ones I have tried over the years so I at least had a base of what I had liked and didn't. I guess you live and learn with that one. Consider me "learned" and ready to learn a lot more.

Comments

• Arturo Fuente rosado is my favorite followed by Oliva Connectticut reserve. Arrow there off dorothy has the rosados i believe though not me
  • aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Arturo Fuente rosado is my favorite followed by Oliva Connectticut reserve. Arrow there off dorothy has the rosados i believe though not me
    many* not me*
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rocky Patel Connecticut IMO is a good jumping off point. It is very light with a creamy smoke. Great price point for a RP and you can usually pick them up in sampler packs.
  • Vision:
    The Rocky Patel Connecticut IMO is a good jumping off point. It is very light with a creamy smoke. Great price point for a RP and you can usually pick them up in sampler packs.
    RP is a trustd brand but i wont ever recommend one. BUt the price point is right on
  • T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Arturo Fuente rosado is my favorite followed by Oliva Connectticut reserve. Arrow there off dorothy has the rosados i believe though not me
    I work a block south of there, so sounds like I know where to go on my lunch break. Thanks for two good ones to start looking for. Hopefully Arrow isn't sold out.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that you have those CAO's coming tomorrow as well.
    Vision:
    Thanks for another starting point. It definitely looks like something to try. I need to broaden my horizons and I am looking forward to trying a bunch. This time around I will be smart and write them down with my thoughts like I see so many people doing.
    T.J. Armstrong:
    Vision:
    Thanks for another starting point. It definitely looks like something to try. I need to broaden my horizons and I am looking forward to trying a bunch. This time around I will be smart and write them down with my thoughts like I see so many people doing.

I have the RateMYCigar App for my Android and keep track of all my gems.... and dog rockets.
    Truth, but it is a long weekend and I need to start thinking about what I should be searching for to put into the humidor once it is ready. Oh, you managed to pique my interest and now I am running with it. :-)
    Downloading that app now! Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even think about the dang droid!
    Also... And I am sure I stand almost alone.... The Graycliff ’G2’ Pirate is a good smoke if you can get them cheap. I am also a fan of the 5 Vegas Gold. Here are some so-so starters you might find cheap. John Bull, Mark Twain and Gran Habano Connecticut #1. A step up from there would be CAO Gold Churchill, Hoyo Excalibur Epicure and La Gloria Cubana. I am not saying any of these are gems but for the price you may be able to find what you like and what direction your taste buds take you.

I will say after trying any or all of these try an Ashton Churchill Natural..... You do get what you pay for.
    (10) 5 Vegas Classic Double Corona just sold for 20.70 on cigarsprintsale.com. Now thats a good starter stick... IMO
  • T.J. Armstrong:
    Vision:
    there is a thread in cigar 101 titled how much of a drop is to much.. or something similiar to that look at my pics in there of my excel spreadsheet cigar journal
  • Vision:
    Also... And I am sure I stand almost alone.... The Graycliff ’G2’ Pirate is a good smoke if you can get them cheap. I am also a fan of the 5 Vegas Gold. Here are some so-so starters you might find cheap. John Bull, Mark Twain and Gran Habano Connecticut #1. A step up from there would be CAO Gold Churchill, Hoyo Excalibur Epicure and La Gloria Cubana. I am not saying any of these are gems but for the price you may be able to find what you like and what direction your taste buds take you.

I will say after trying any or all of these try an Ashton Churchill Natural..... You do get what you pay for.
    I've smoked 6 boxes of cao golds one of my favs.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I wouldn't limit yourself to just mild stuff just because you are new to the hobby. There are lots of good and pretty cheap smokes out there that have a good amount of flavor and won't turn you green.

Here are a few off the top of my head that I enjoy. Most are available with natural and maduro wrappers so you can compare the difference.

Fuente 858
    Perdomo 10th Anniversary
    Perdomo Lot 23
    Brick House
    CAO La Triviata
    Cain Daytona
    Oliva Series G
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Avo original.... Amazing mild smoke bro. Man o War Virtue is another that comes to mind, Diamond Crown, 5 vegas classic, perdomo 10th champagne, and San Latano Conny/ I would highly recommend all of these smokes.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    In addition to what's already been said:

Ashton original - probably one of my favorite milds. Ashton Cabinet is awesome too, and just a touch fuller than the original (still pretty much mild IMO).

For some nice budget milds, try: Verdadero Organic, C.Com Purple Label and Montesino maduro.

Also, don't be afraid to try something fuller just because you're early into the hobby. You might be surprised.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind a lot of these mild cigar suggestions and milds in general have a Connecticut wrapper on them. They can be good but personally they are one of my least favorite wrappers. Just don't associate mild cigars with Conn. wrapper only. I recommend checking out Guillermo Leon and La Aurora's offerings, Dominican tobacco is excellent.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Perdomo Champagne 5 Vegas Gold Man o War Virtue San Lantano Connie Alec Bradley America Ava Maria and Morro Castle There medium but my favorite cigars when I'm looking for a lighter cigar.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Best milds without spending a ton (in no particular order)...

CCom Purple Label

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 with the candela wrapper (best candela out there)

Oliva Connecticut Reserve

Oliva NUB in the Connecticut

MoW Virtue (for something with a LITTLE more bite to it)

Suggestions: 1) Keep a cigar journal

2) Take what you will from this list, but everything you can get your hands on. Nobody can tell you what makes a great cigar for you BUT YOU.

3) Once you've decided which sticks you want to try, blow in a call to CCom. Ask for Andy D. Tell him you're a new customer and ask him to put together a mild sampler of the following sticks (give him your list) at a price that will make sure you will want to make EVERY purchase with CCom in the future. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :-)

The Sniper:

CCom Purple Label

2) Take what you will from this list, but everything you can get your hands on. Nobody can tell you what makes a great cigar for you BUT YOU.

3) Once you've decided which sticks you want to try, blow in a call to CCom. Ask for Andy D. Tell him you're a new customer and ask him to put together a mild sampler of the following sticks (give him your list) at a price that will make sure you will want to make EVERY purchase with CCom in the future. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :-)

+1 they have taken care of me, now if the military mail system would catch up, been 18days since shipped.
    The Sniper:

CCom Purple Label

I love all the suggestions I am getting from everyone. I might just have to compile a list of all of them and then give Mr. Andy D a call! That is an awesome suggestion but totally makes sense too. There are too many options out there of places to order from, but getting quality service like that will keep me coming back! Thanks again for the 102 list Sniper. I printed that sucker off and I have read through it twice already. Sitting on my table for a third read when I get home. @ James - Hopefully that damn dry climate doesn't get at your order. (I started to type package, but that sounds all kinds of messed! but then again, I am sure there is no avoiding it getting at that. That's why they make Gold Bond! Pretty sure my brother when through 100 bottles of that stuff when he was in Iraq)
    @ Gaetano7890, bigharpoon, Heavy, catfishbluezz, and bbass2 - Thanks for the suggestions too! I am sure the B&M is going to love seeing my simple ass walk in there with my list. I figure I will grab a few and then price check the rest with Ccom and other places to see where I can make the most of my money. I can feel it already that this is going to be an expensive hobby, but damn will it be fun! Thanks again everyone!
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    T.J. Armstrong:
    Vision:
    there is a thread in cigar 101 titled how much of a drop is to much.. or something similiar to that look at my pics in there of my excel spreadsheet cigar journal
    I was just looking through that feed and didn't see any spreadsheet on there. I will keep looking in case someone else started a separate feed that is similar to the one you mentioned. I might have been in the wrong place. Thanks again for the help. I keep finding myself spending 30 to 40 minutes just reading through whatever reviews and comments I see, not realizing I have been reading that long. I guess I better close down my browser for a while or I won't get sh*t done at work today!
    I will email you a copy of mine, it is pretty basic bust something you can build on.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    La aurora prefferidos Connecticut! You can find them for a steal sometimes, it's the only mild cigar in my humy
    Money can't buy taste
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    T.J. Armstrong:
    Thanks again for the 102 list Sniper. I printed that sucker off and I have read through it twice already. Sitting on my table for a third read when I get home.
    Well hopefully you're doing it with a good smoke in hand! :-) And the credit for the 102 belongs to one of our departed BOTL (Renaissance Man, jeez I wish that dude would come back here someday) for creating it, and to MVW for continuing to bump it to the top so people will get what they can from it.

Me? Im just the dude who plagarized it. :-)

• Lee.mcglynn:
    La aurora prefferidos Connecticut! You can find them for a steal sometimes, it's the only mild cigar in my humy
    I actually gave him 1 :-)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    aeon_spiral@yahoo.com:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I actually gave him 1 :-)
    Nice! They are the best mild cigar I've Had so far and consistency is great
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TJ, As some of the guys have already said, be a bit cautious about over doing it with the milds. Your tastes will change as you get familiar with the cigars and you may find yourself going into the more medium cigars.
    When that happens, you may find yourself with a boat load of milds you no longer care a lot for.
    And you will find yourself all over the board then.

I love cameroons, but I have no problem with a bold, in your face maduro either. I no longer care for mild connecticut wrappers. That's not to say I won't grab a nice mild AVO once in a while though.

Remember that as you develop your tastes, likes and all, you will make transitions from one style to another. Also, never shoot down one particular cigar from one stick. If the one you try isn't good, put one to rest in the humi and try it 6 months later. It may change. Then again, it may not. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.