Home Ratings & Reviews

CAO - Last Stick Standing event

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Went to an event on Friday. CAO Last Stick Standing. They gave you 3 cigars (C, A, O) without any background. The idea was to smoke all three (not in one sitting), rate them and then go online and post your ratings. 40 B&Ms, 50 participants each, and the overall winner would go into production. So, to make a long story short, none of them rated above 8.5.
I'vee been impressed with the construction, draw, ash, etc. with all of the CAOs I've had, but I think they miss the mark on flavor. JMO.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I wish we would get cool events in my area to go to. CAO cigars are kinda one-dimensional to me. If you like the dimension they are great, constructed well and priced fairly. If you don't like the dimension you're kinda SOL. I tend to like their cigars but I wouldn't call any of the ones I smoke dynamic.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was A fine event. I too wish for similar events in my area. A few of the CAO's stick out in my opinion. The LX line seem to have an acceptable flavor profile. I smoked, this morning, A COA Criollo That had over A year in my humidor. It was A fine cigar.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I wish we would get cool events in my area to go to. CAO cigars are kinda one-dimensional to me. If you like the dimension they are great, constructed well and priced fairly. If you don't like the dimension you're kinda SOL. I tend to like their cigars but I wouldn't call any of the ones I smoke dynamic.
    We don't get those cool events in our area either. None of the manufacturers care about smaller community areas. They only concentrate on the big metro areas. They seem to have the mindset that they can get to more buyers in those areas. They fail to realize that in a 40 mile radius, they will pack into a cigar store for these kinds of events.

Instead, they think that people will travel 100 miles to one of these events, which with the economy the way it is, isn't gonna happen.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I am 2 sticks from my free pack so I will probably go pick 2 up tomorrow. Any recommendations between the Mx2, Lx2, & La traviata, or others?
  • mmm la traviata :)
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Just got my email today for this event in Kansas City next thursday. I am really thinking of going.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Picked up the sampler. I'm thinking about aging them since 2 will be suuuuuuuuper limited after the decision ;)
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    scarlin:
    Picked up the sampler. I'm thinking about aging them since 2 will be suuuuuuuuper limited after the decision ;)
    Yea, I did keep the bands. Didn't really care for any of the sticks, though. Good, but nothing special.
  • StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I love the Lx2. I've had the Itailia and the Mx2 as well. I like the Mx2 but I'm sure it would be better with age. The Italia is a decent one-dimensional smoke. Not too bad, but nothing to wright home about. I will definitely be trying the rest of the CAO line.
  • tommie73tommie73 Posts: 15
    The Brazilia is a pretty good stick, my all-time favorite CAO is the Anniversary Maduro.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    bigharpoon:
    We don't get those cool events in our area either. None of the manufacturers care about smaller community areas. They only concentrate on the big metro areas. They seem to have the mindset that they can get to more buyers in those areas. They fail to realize that in a 40 mile radius, they will pack into a cigar store for these kinds of events.

Instead, they think that people will travel 100 miles to one of these events, which with the economy the way it is, isn't gonna happen.
    I don't find this to be true at all. I live in a town of 40,000. The cigar shop here has many of the same events that the one in I frequented in Virginia Beach area had. Are they as big? no but he still has them. I previously lived in a smaller town(before moving here but after leaving Virginia Beach) that the cigar shop there had ZERO events. I asked the owner about it, he said he didn't like doing them because his cost of food, drinks, etc did not get offset. But from what he said manufacturers offered them fairly regularly.

That being said, is one of the big names going to show up in a small town, probably not (aside from RP he'll show up anywhere) but the reps throw a good party themselves.