Home General Discussion

nasty surprise

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was about to enjoy an undercrown, this was a Gordo just because that's what I had, and was trying to cut the end with my XI cutter... as I was trimming I noticed what looked like little capsules under the wrapper.

upon further inspection and peeling back the tobacco, there were maybe 10 more of these little guys. Now I have never had experience with beetles before, but I would venture to say these were eggs...

needless to say, I was disgusted and set the cigar down to grab another... I am not worried, as my temp and humidity are in check. These particular specimens appeared to be empty and old. I am now wondering if many cigars have these 'vacated' or maybe dormant eggs/whatever in them. Do I smoke up bug parts daily?? I have never seen this before, though. Gross.
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exhibit A. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App And B. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    Where did you get the cigar?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Email this to drew estate bro
    Cigar came from a reputable dealer, I have never had any problems before and I know they store correctly. I just may send an email to DE. It sure sucks to have to lay down a $10 smoke.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Cigar came from a reputable dealer, I have never had any problems before and I know they store correctly. I just may send an email to DE. It sure sucks to have to lay down a $10 smoke.
    My guess....it will get replaced. Many of us have had good success contacting companies. I just had a great experience with davidoff.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow I never seen them before but I have heard about beetle eggs in cigars, sorry about your lost
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang dude - that sucks! But good thing you caught it before smoking and it's good the beetles didn hatch and spread....I also wanted to chime in becaue I had a $hit experience with an undercrown today too.
    It was my first ever UC and there must have been a huge f***in stem in it...I caught it way too late - I maybe got 20 min out of the cigar before realizing something was wrong and at that point let it go out then started to cut it shorter, finally found the "end" of the fully burnt stem with about 1.5 in left of the cigar...I'm assuming the small charred area is where the stem was.
    I feel your pain brother! Really disappointed by this....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Schitt, those little alien pods just gave me the willies.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    I know drew estate freezes so as long as there are not holes or Beatle dung I would smoke it ^^! If the cigars are frozen odds are the eggs are not viable and since they are too small to make scrambled eggs I'd smoke it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang that does suck Gray.
  • seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    Not to worry they, don't smoke much a href="http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u436/yoshimida/?action=view&current= 32512005.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    That stinks. I'm hearing a little more frequently about DE quality issues and the stem thing and draw issues are getting frequent. Hope JD sees this and steps up quality control as I'm a big fan.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Thought this was interesting so I posted the pics on another forum to get some feedback. Somebody came back back with Milkweed bug eggs

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Tbh I thought beetle eggs were smaller.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    That stinks. I'm hearing a little more frequently about DE quality issues and the stem thing and draw issues are getting frequent. Hope JD sees this and steps up quality control as I'm a big fan.
    this really isnt a quality control issue.

it is virtually impossible to have a factory that has zero beetles or eggs. there are steps that can be taken to greatly reduce the numbers and i assure you that DE takes care of things. had you not seen them directly you would have never noticed.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey those are some neat looking bug eggs, with the ring of tiny nubs. do they affect the taste or anything? Does smokin bugs get you high or anything?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nope. but its rumored that if you hear your cigar crackle as you draw that you just smoked an egg.
    kuzi16:
    nope. but its rumored that if you hear your cigar crackle as you draw that you just smoked an egg.
    Lol!! This is what I wondered... kinda like the FDA "allowing" so many bug parts per can of tomato sauce or whatever. It would be impossible to ensure that absolutely NO buggy parts are in your tobacco. The eggs, or whatever I saw, did appear "dead" and harmless. While it is gross to see, if they hadn't been right on the cap, I would've smoked em right up! And I just heard the crackle the other other day...blah. haha