Home Cigar 101

Irish Tabacaleras Classroom

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Morning brothers and sisters!

Ok so a little backstory before we just jump right in. For a couple of months now I've had several people seriously encourage me to actually start teaching my own classes about cigars, the cigar making process, and info on the industry in general. For a while I pushed back and just said I'm sure that no one would really be all that interested. Apparently I was wrong, and at the strong suggestion of my wife and a few very close brothers/friends I caved and have started this thread. A little history about me will probably help to show y'all where I'm coming from and why I want to do some teaching. Many of you know me as Irish, my real name is Brett Jarman and I am fortunate enough to be married to a brilliant woman who not only encourages my love and passion for all things cigar but is always pushing me to help make it into a career as well. I have been smoking cigars for 8 years now; I own my own online cigar review, news, consolation, and photography site, and do on average 25-40 hrs/wk of industry reading, tobacco research and any other research material in relation to cigars. I am currently working to become employed in the cigar industry and am doing so tenaciously. All of this is pointing towards the fact that by no means do I consider myself an expert, I can hold my own and feel confident in my ability to teach and expand the knowledge and learning of many aspects regarding cigars and this passion that we are all so enthralled by.

With that being said, if you are interested in learning and creating a positive and encouraging environment for our still wet behind the ears new members and hobbyists, all the way up to our connoisseurs and aficionados then I welcome and encourage you to join us. However this is dedicated as being a healthy place to learn, so please do NOT in any way let this turn into an arguing spot or a "I know more than you and am going to prove it" thread as well. If anyone has an issue or question, PM me so we can keep this thread strictly for learning and discussion, thank you!

Ok so since this is the first week here is what is going on; Once a week (or more if the need or want of our members want it) we will put up a new "topic" for our classroom setting to explore, teach, discuss and interact with. These topics can range from any aspect such as coolidor construction, maintenance, seasoning, and use, all the way up to the changing properties of tobacco when it is harvested, cured, and fermented. Topics that I have already confirmed that will be a class throughout this experience is; developing your palate, aging cigars, smoking different vitola sizes and how to get the best experience from each, blending and tasting tobacco from different countries and regions, and many more! Weekly we will choose a topic through popular vote, have a "homework" assignment which may be a bad-ass interview or short article highlighting the subject of discussion, and a weekly cigar(s) that pairs well with the weeks topic.

Now that were all done hashing out the details, I'd like to say that I'm open to suggestions and changes to format etc and just need to hear your opinions if something is needing to wanting changed. So what topic do y'all want to cover first this week, any suggestions or ideas?? Please post your suggestions and ideas and I will create a list. We will vote on our first topic come Tuesday night or Wednesday if we need more time.

To all my friends and family who supported me and encouraged all this, thank you and I truly value your support!
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a splendid idea. It helps to consolidate information to one place, and I personally am looking forward to it.
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Insta sticky bro. I like the idea. Especially "how tos". I`m sure you and some of the other guys will be able to share insight hat will be much appreciated. But homework? I mean smoking different vitolas with the same blend would be cool but anything else might be too time consuming for some.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Looks awesome bro, keep up the great work!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigfnsteve:
    Insta sticky bro. I like the idea. Especially "how tos". I`m sure you and some of the other guys will be able to share insight hat will be much appreciated. But homework? I mean smoking different vitolas with the same blend would be cool but anything else might be too time consuming for some.
    I totally hear ya Steve and the "homework" will be optional but encouraged. And by HW what I meant and it would be, would be stuff like a short article I've found on blending if that were the weeks topic, or an interview etc. It would be short stuff, interesting and basically just a helper for some of the topics we cover for those that want extra info to help give examples of the topic. The only real HW would be to have some good smokes :)

Thanks for all your support brothers I really appetizer it, why do y'all want this weeks topic to be, any ideas?? Once we get some topic/ideas we will vote and then we would do the class topic Wednesday or Thursday, whatever works best for everyone involved and interested.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I may be alone on this, but there is a tone of information out there on seasoning a humi. There is not a lot of info on the maintenance of a humi. I have had one humidor for 15 years, although I haven't used it in quite some time. But to know the details of maintenance of a humi would be awesome. Especially after you have mad amounts of money wrapped up in them.
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    First off brother thank you for this thread a good consolidated are would make it easier ! I am with the jarhead cough cough I mean Marine on this one what good are our sticks if we are not keeping them properly so yes HUMI INFO is a definite! Can't wait brother you got me "JAZZED" thanks again!!
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Very nice way for the community to learn together! Love the idea Brett, not only for those that are just starting to learn the ways of the leaf, but there may even be some that may want to jump in just because of a certain topic you will be covering for that week.

• CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Medic45:
    First off brother thank you for this thread a good consolidated are would make it easier ! I am with the jarhead cough cough I mean Marine on this one what good are our sticks if we are not keeping them properly so yes HUMI INFO is a definite! Can't wait brother you got me "JAZZED" thanks again!!
    My vote is for this to be the first topic...I myself have ask numeroous questions about properly keeping a humi/cooler in the past, and still appears to be the most asked question we see...
    Here are a few more ideas! Different size smoke and why, ie what should I expect from this size or that size. Suggesting different smoke for certain occasions ie everyday smoke for us non rich people lol or should I say smokes on a budget! The differences between say boxed or regular rolled! The proper was to smoke and get the most out of your expierence and of course I'm super stoked about the developing ur pallet!! These are just a few off my head just to get some other ideas thrown out there and things I am personally interested in!!
    Thanks for such great support and ideas guys! The vitola topic is for in depth and builds heavily off of blending and palate so I think that may be better covered later after we've gone over the aforementioned topics/lessons first. So right now I'd say the two leading topics are humidor start-up and maintenance along with coolidors, or how to get the best experience and how to smoke/differences between different vitolas especially odd sizes. Votes so far guys?
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    Brett,
    Stellar ideas! I think the first two topics are the best. I know everyone on this forum has a setup, but sometimes we miss creation steps. If the humi is not set up correct, well then the cigar gods will be very unhappy and they will not have mercy on our souls. ( and probably make us smoke the grape swishers in heaven) Next, I think that speaking to the different sizes is next important, meaning what one should look for in each stick size, appearance, and flavors. Third, I think discussing which sticks to smoke and when, which brands for specific occasions. (although I believe you should smoke what you want when you want). Might be a good idea to compile a list of value/everyday smokes, and rare/special smokes. This could also have a sub category of hard to finds and why for the collectors and those who might want to start collecting. This is just a start and I think it will get rolling once you get through the first stages/steps. I think this could branch into the Bourbon Scotch thread and pairings once BOTL have a more concentrated idea of the above.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Great idea Brett. At the moment no topic in my head. Will try and think of some. But voting on the two you listed. I say humidor start up and maintenance
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    First off, congrats little brother! You finally bucked up, but I noticed it was after you made the AF box-purse for Amanda. Interesting...
    Topics, I think humi/cooler start-up and maintainence would be a no brainer. How many times do we log in just to see another "humidor question..." post?
    Expectations of specific vitolas is another great, but I feel subjective, topic. But, a general consensus of what certain vitolas bring to the experience is always helpful.
    Again, I'm loving the upgrades to the site! Keep up the good work, Brett! If there's anyway that my noobish self can help, let me know.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM to you my friend.
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    bigfnsteve:
    Personally I'm looking forward to this kind of homework personally because I get direct help from the professor this time...*hint hint*;P
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    Personally from the wife point of view I couldn't be a more proud wife of Brett than I am right now! I'm so proud of you baby and can't wait to see what you and the others talk about; I'm generally pretty quite here on the forum so I my put in an opinion or question about the topic from time to time. But still very proud of you Brett and thank you everyone for being so supportive of him as well you all my heart get the warm fuzzies!
    IrishAJ:
    Personally from the wife point of view I couldn't be a more proud wife of Brett than I am right now! I'm so proud of you baby and can't wait to see what you and the others talk about; I'm generally pretty quite here on the forum so I my put in an opinion or question about the topic from time to time. But still very proud of you Brett and thank you everyone for being so supportive of him as well you all my heart get the warm fuzzies!
    Thanks sweetheart, means a lot and thank you for the support as well babe ;)

Ok guys so it looks like a fairly unanimous vote so far for the humidor/coolidor start-up. mainteneance, upkeep and tips and tricks. Can we agree on this so that I can start writing up my "lesson plan" and prep for this weeks class? Thanks in advance brothers, and last question will be do you want to have our first session on Wednesday or Thursday night? I know Thursday night is Robby's Cigar Caht so if at all possible I'd like to try not to do it that night for those who wish to attend cigar chat and out of respect for Rob. Lastly, does ANYONE have a preference on how the "class" time should be setup, want me to just post it, send it via PM to everyone who is interested, or should I set up something similar to a chatroom or Skype "class and herf" session so we can talk real time? I don't want to make this too complicated but I'd also really enjoy it being interactive or real time.... thoughts or help is encouraged and appreciated! Thanks everyone!!!!!
    I second the humi piece. And furthermore, I am a huge fan of skype, since it is my only form of communication, but am down for whatever.
    marineatbn03:
    I second the humi piece. And furthermore, I am a huge fan of skype, since it is my only form of communication, but am down for whatever.
    Sweet thanks bro! As for Skype, I'm a computer MORON with anything other than Ccom and somewhat regarding my web design software, otherwise I might as well be a caveman with a big log thumping on the keyboard. Does anyone have a good amount of Skype experience and can show me or PM me how to do a virtual conference call or setup an "Irish Tabacaleras Classroom" place where we can all log in an do a virtual class and herf? If this works and we can pick a time that would work with the majority of those wanting to participate in this weeks lesson, I think that having a list of 3-5 cigars that everyone could have access to and smoke while were on Skype and going over the class would just be fricking awesome!
    I can do some research. I know there is a way to set up a link so that multiple people can type and chat, just not sure how to do it. Lemme think on it a bit.
    As for the cigars, won't do me much good, my internet is hardlined in an office, but I will still participate
    On second thought, with skype you can add participants to your conversation as long as they are on your contacts list. So there is that way, but I will still research into the dedicated thread if you will, so it can be an ongoing dialog
    marineatbn03:
    On second thought, with skype you can add participants to your conversation as long as they are on your contacts list. So there is that way, but I will still research into the dedicated thread if you will, so it can be an ongoing dialog
    Thanks a ton brother! A dedicated channel would be way slick but if that doesn't work out then I'll just get a contact list for everyone and add them. Sounds like the live link and interaction would be an effective idea, but I will post a hard copy of the "lesson plan" and my notes on this thread as well as create a section on Irishman Cigars webpage for it as well.
    Check your pm, I think I have it figured out.
    marineatbn03:
    Check your pm, I think I have it figured out.
    ?Thanks man, replied ;)
    Got it, and returned fire
    Never used Skype but for playing mmorpgs we use ventrillo I wouldn't mid checking into purchasing say a 50 slot server that would be a good way
    Brian thanks for the offer, I'm happy to explore multiple venues to see what system will work best for the largest group! Also, since this has been fairly last minute, I will extend the deadline for the time of the first class setting so more can get involved. I was thinking Friday night or Saturday night would be more time and hopefully will allow more people to kype/herf while the first session is going!

Please everyone POST what night (Friday or Saturday of this coming weekend) will work best and what timeslots (6-8 pm, 7-9 pm etc) work best so that I can coordinate the best way to get the most brothers live and herfing/learning. Thank you!
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    This weekend Friday would be best for me. And what time zone we going by for time slots? For the most part I'm good except between 7pm-9pm eastern time. I may be able to be in classroom but won't be able to smoke.
    JHewey:
    This weekend Friday would be best for me. And what time zone we going by for time slots? For the most part I'm good except between 7pm-9pm eastern time. I may be able to be in classroom but won't be able to smoke.
    Thanks for the reply Justin! You being up a good point, most of us are different time zones, we should probably go off of Eastern Time because you are farthest ahead. 9pm eastern time would be 7 pm my time and 5 pm Pacific time. I think that might work best for all since it's far more likely for evening/early night to have the most brothers/sisters free and available to do so.

So sounds like 7 pm Mountain Standard time on Friday night might be a good option, other would be Saturday with a similar time slot. Votes??
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Friday night works for me, since I'll be at work with a wireless connection. I can sit on the patio and have a smoke while learning all things cigar, unless stupidity runs rampant and someone bites their cat's ear off while juggling four chainsaws and riding a unicycle with a flaming tire... I'm game for 7-9 pm.