Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That hot side is going to cause issues. Even if its outside the humidor it will still radiate heat back inside. Hmmm the fridge might be the better way to go kuzi. THey are designed to maintain a temp, this looks like its not, not on its own anyways. For $35 though it may be worth playing with.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if i insulate the back of the humi it may not be an issue. iduno... build it so its insulated and there is a fan to keep it cool... iduno. Im thinking that i dontneed that much help to push the temp down so maybe i can put it on a potamiter and "turn down the power" on the heat sink. I dont even know if i can but its worth looking into.
    research is free. ill be reading alot
    Yea you definetly don't need to drop it to 55* so you might be able to kick the power down and go from there. Research is free put I think I might try to pick a used one up somewhere and play with it if I was you. You know how it is you can do all the reading you want when it actually comes down to it you're just going to have to experiment.
    madurofan:
    you can do all the reading you want when it actually comes down to it you're just going to have to experiment.
    amen to that one. and chances are the currant isnt stron enough to kill me so it should be just plain fun.
    What doesn't kill you ....
    LOL
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Maduro, of these 300 aging beauties are they mostly prized singles or boxes? and, when aging a box do you take the plastic off the box.
    They are all singles except a box of NUb Cameroon's. I don't buy boxes typically bc I like trying new things. Now don't get me wrong I have 5 or 6 of a couple different sticks.
    There are probably some sticks that you are going to hate/love to smoke because once they are gone ....You will be eighty years old and still have that barber pole Nub, along with the Sam Leccia story.
    You're probably right Kaspera. Thing is I'll probably be 80 and have 5000 cigars chilling somewhere. Hopefully in my B&M I open when I retire.
    With a collection like that who needs an IRA, 401K, or social security, that will be a fine retirement plan.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    There are probably some sticks that you are going to hate/love to smoke because once they are gone ....You will be eighty years old and still have that barber pole Nub, along with the Sam Leccia story.
    I once had a barber pole nub, but the doctor gave me some ointment and it cleared right up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    I once had a barber pole nub, but the doctor gave me some ointment and it cleared right up.
    ZING!!
    Urbino, I didn't know you were a comedian as well to go with that long list of other talents. good one. The miracles of modern medicine.
    A man with an avatar like mine had better be at least a little funny.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    And with that, dutyje welcome to the forum. Hope your experience brings you as much joy as I've had.
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    LMAO. Right back to our otherwise seemingly harmless threads gone terribly wrong motif.
    hey new people. dont mind us. we are all nuts. our train of thought gets derailed every other minute.

Q: how many kids with ADHD does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: wanna go fishing?

what thread is this again.... oh yeah... Hi new people.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263

ashmaster:
    And with that, dutyje welcome to the forum. Hope your experience brings you as much joy as I've had.

Well, dang.. that's about the best welcome I could've imagined.  Although I should've guessed that my little bit about temperature might stir the pot :)   Maduro makes a good point - a smoker like me with a tiny (15-20 sticks?) box like mine doesn't stand to lose a large investment to beetles, I don't care what the heck I put in it.  I'll mind the humidity as meticulously as I mind my climbing gear, and everything should be fine.

I'll be smoking a Trinidad 100th Anniversary Toro this weekend.  Anybody know much about that one?  I've decided to pick up a couple samplers from this site to get started, and I'll keep a handful of Onyx on hand because I've been thinking about them for years.

I've got tons of questions.  I enjoy the study almost as much as the smoke itself.  I'll post them elsewhere and keep this as the welcome thread.

Thanks again for the warm greetings, all!  If you're ever in Charlotte, seriously shoot me a PM.  I've got a fully stocked bar (only a couple Scotches if that's your thing), but I'll shake hands and share a drink and a smoke with any good man.

Joe

duty,
    Hopefully you didn't take any offense to what I said. Just get a digital hygrometer that displays temp and RH ... find the right spot in your house that keeps the temp below 75* and make sure your RH stays in the 65-70% range and you'll be perfect. And welcome aboard, I too love the study as much as the smoking.
  • la-henryla-henry Posts: 74
    Hey I'm Lucas, a 21 year old from Omaha. I'm fairly new to cigar smoking and a friend of mine turned me on to this site. I've already signed up for the cigar of the month club and i love it. This is an awesome site with what seems like awesome people that like to help newbies like me.
    Welcome aboard, Lucas from Omaha. All you have to do get help around here is send everybody some steaks.
    Welcome aboard man. Everyone here definetly likes to help newbie's, we were all newbie's once. SOme of us not all that long ago.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Welcome to the site Lucas!!
  • BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    Welcome Lucas I just started using this site and smoking cigars about 2 or 3 weeks ago and you'll like it here. Also any questions, don't hesitate to ask. So far I haven't be insulted for any of my ridiculous questions.......YET lol
    BF, We only insult you in private messages. Not to make you paranoid, but you should think about it.

LMAO I'm just kidding.
    Great, now I got tears on my turkey sub.
    BFGarner:
    Great, now I got tears on my turkey sub.
    LOL, turkey sub eh? Real manly lunch to go with your tears. Did you chase it down with a Special K protein drink?

LOL I have to give you some crap after all I've been catching from Kaspera about beetles.
    Im trying to get skinny for my wedding so I chased it down with a fruit punch crystal light packet..... Being healthy sucks lol
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263

madurofan:
    duty,
    Hopefully you didn't take any offense to what I said. Just get a digital hygrometer that displays temp and RH ... find the right spot in your house that keeps the temp below 75* and make sure your RH stays in the 65-70% range and you'll be perfect. And welcome aboard, I too love the study as much as the smoking.

I'm pretty much impossible to offend... the advice is appreciated.  I think I'll just stick the box in a cool closet during the summer months and the temp should stay in the low 70's.  I appreciate the sense of humor everybody has, and how relaxed everyone is on here.  It sure makes this hobby much less intimidating and enjoyable to us new folk.