Home Ratings & Reviews

I Love You, You're Perfect... Now Change! A Husband and Wife POV Review

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well folks after a few weeks of waiting it's finally upon us, breaking ground and Ccom forum history by doing the first husband and wife review sessions! As I type this my beautiful bride Amanda (AKA IrishAJ) and I are finishing up our first tag team review on the back patio in a gorgeous Colorado summer afternoon. A VERY BIG thank you and shout out to my friend and mentor Mr. Sniper for sending us the fiver of San Cristobal Elegancia's for our first reviews! Glen, you're a man among men and a brother to us all, thank you sir for a brilliant set of cigars and for putting a smile on my wife's beautiful face :) Our reviews will be typed up and pictures posted by 9 pm MST this evening. Thank you one and all who have encouraged us and challenged us to break ground and dare to be different!
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see this. I like her review better by the way, lol. Just thought I'd say it first. Seriously, nice to have a couple doing a hobby together and having fun. Special and very nice.
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    here's the wife's point of view. Unfortunantly I seem to find every bum stick in Brett's humidor, but hey what are wives for?

San Cristobal Elegancia

Wrapper: Light brown, minimal tooth

Foot: Strong hay, light chocolate, black pepper

Lick: No distinguishable flavor

First Light: A touch of sweet and black pepper. The strength of the dry hay flavor makes it almost taste like a cardboard box that was used for transporting chocolate bars. It mellows to a very contradictory creamy peppery bite.

Halfway Point: Cinnamon and chocolate mostly. Unfortunately the draw got very tight in the center and had to poke it to cure a never ending pepper bite after the cinnamon flavor. Hints of caramel and dried sweet grass toke over after the post poking draw. There was a wonderful sweet vanilla cream undertone for the rest of the cigar.

Final Thoughts: Overall I have a tendency to find every bum cigar in Brett’s humidor that is not one of my infused ones, but as a bum cigar goes it is at my top as still very enjoyable if not at it’s peak. It works perfectly for a kick back and look fancy cigar on the patio on a nice summer evening, very pleasing to the taste buds and a wonderful cinnamon smoke.

I hope you all enjoy a very good smoke with your loved one/s as well!
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Nice review Amanda. I am particularly fond of the cardboard box that used to transport chocolate bars. Sounds like a stick worthy of trying.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    San Cristobal Elegancia Imperial

Manufacturer: My Father Tabacaleras
    Size: Imperial 6” X 52
    Blender: Don Pepin’ Garcia
    Wrapper: Connecticut Shade Grown
    Binder/Filler: Nicaraguan

Draw: The draw was a slight bit tight before lighting with a touch of resistance, but after it burned for a few minutes it opened right up and was fantastic! 9/10 pts

Burn: I smoked this with a moderate breeze in the afternoon, it affected it slightly but minus that the burn was razor sharp. 9/10 pts

Construction: There were about three major veins in the leaf with moderate tooth to it, but felt heavy in the hand. No issues throughout the smoke with construction, but I also wouldn’t call it a pretty cigar. 8.5/10 pts

Body: The Elegancia started off on the high side of mild and by the half was a solid medium. If you smoke it down to the nub, expect to hit at the end a medium plus or the short side of full bodied. 10/10 pts

Smoke Time: 1hr 15 min

Smoking Experience:
    From the first light I could tell there was going to be a lot going on here; heavy notes of burnt caramel, cedar, cashew and a very aged and dry leather were fantastic. A spice and pepper on the back of the throat was actually quite pleasant and reminds me that this is solidly a DPG blend. After the initial spice and pepper blast it mellow immediately into a indescribably creamy vanilla, cedar, leather, sweet grass, number and ends on the retrohale in a very sweet and chewy cashew… deliciousness!

The balance is truly superb so far being rich and robust but not too strong or too much for the mild body as of now. The body is however slightly stronger than the shade and strain of wrapper would lead you to believe, but the profile is so smooth and rich that the medium body it is growing into, helps to give it enough kick to highlight a harmony and balance against the rich assault on the palate and senses. After the first inch, I see the first distinct change. A charred oak presents itself as the cool smoke initially this your tongue and then quite seamlessly rolls into a caramelized sugar. As it moves through the mouth it gets a heavy and velvety mouth-feel to it with a malt like quality from the combination of the leather, caramel, vanilla and dried hay. The retrohale and finish is still distinctly nutty and as earlier reminds me of a chewy cashew. There is a moderate breeze as I smoke this alongside my beautiful bride that causes the burn to turn slightly wavy, but aside from that the burn is sharp, with a dense peppery ash. The dominate core of the Elegancia is; rugged and aged leather, caramel, cashew, and a heavy malt that I mentioned earlier. The undertones (underlying flavors that to me carry the profile) would be the dry hay and a subtle yet robust black pepper that keeps it balanced and interesting with a touch of black coffee. The highlights (bright sharp notes that highlight a profile) would be a milk chocolate and red oak. Every draw seems similar but also entirely different; highly complex and utterly balanced and blended seamlessly. The ash is still holding strong at 2” and no touch ups have been needed yet. The smoke is quite dense and very cool, what I’d call a mellow cigar that still seems to demand your attention too.

Well into the second third and the body begins to steadily build into the medium-full range but with a much stronger core of oak/leather/cedar. The hay moves to the undertones as with the caramel and cashew, while the chocolate becomes a SWEET dark chocolate without the bitter finish, with espresso and cream through the nose. It is significantly fuller in body and heavier in flavor and tones than when it started, and if unbanded with no prior knowledge on the stick, it would immediately scream classic DPG profile and tone. A zest creeps its way in past the half that is smoky and sweet pepper, similar to a chipotle spice or jalapeno jelly (very popular in Colorado and is ****’!). It comes in on the finish and with the growth in profile and body helps to add depth and dimension to its progression. The nutty core has grown on the front and is now more of a roasted/salted peanut with a burnt caramel touch. For me, the highlight and hallmark of the Elegancia is how deceptive and balanced it is. It has far more strength and far more rich of a profile than the wrapper would lead you to believe. In that sense it is a highly deceptive cigar, and the fact that the balance and body grow in harmony to compliment and challenge each other is it’s most remarkable asset. The end of the cigar finishes in classic DPG style… bold and smooth with a smoky spice that lingers and coats all of your sense. Is this a cigar I’d revisit? Short answer… H3ll Yes. Will this be a cigar for the humidor long term? You better bet your azz it is… Thanks Glen, this one truly ROCKS!

Rating Scale:

Balance: 25 out of 25 pts. I’ve yet to have a DPG blend that wasn’t perfectly balanced.
    Construction: 16 out of 20 pts. The wrapper was a bit too toothy for a Connie and looked too rugged.
    Draw: 18 out of 20 pts. The tight draw initially hurt it, but an inch in it became great.
    Flavor: 19 out of 20 pts. Man, for a Connie wrapper this really packed a ton of flavor!
    Wow Factor: 12 out of 15 pts. The wow factor didn’t hit me until the end, it really takes you by surprise if you hang with it.

Total Score: 90 Points

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done sir, a stick that will be making my list after these two fine reviews.
    marineatbn03:
    Nicely done sir, a stick that will be making my list after these two fine reviews.
    Thanks a lot James, glad you enjoyed the read ;)
  • RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed reading both reviews. Nice work as always Brett. Never had one of those. I do have a couple that were gifted to me. I like Amanda's attitude about the cigar (bum stick), lol. Can't beat a fresh innocent thought. Looking forward to the next one.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Loved LOVED LOOOOOVED reading this!!! Sweet Jesus I hope you two stick with this thread and it goes on forever! :-) As far as review styles go, 90+ & AJ are IMHO the perfect foils for one another - from Brett's "everything you could ever hope to know about a cigar IN DETAIL" style to Amanda's more streamlined, almost jlmarta-like "Its either crap or its not!" style, this was a great read in every sense of the word! I really hope you two had as much fun doing this as I did reading it.

to A quick something to add to the review of the Elegancia - Ive had this stick in a few different sizes, and its one of those where the vitola DOES change the smoking experience from size to size. While Ive never had the Elegancia in the size reviewed here, I would rate the sizes I have had thusly:

Robusto - PHENOMENAL!

Churchill - a SLIGHT cut below the robusto, and its got a little more oomph, and

Pyramide - uhhhh.... what happened here? Very different experience and for me, not in a good way.

One final note on this cool new thread - YOU TWO...

... are INCREDIBLY CUTE together!!! :-D Again, hope very much to be reading reviews on page 77 of this thread some day. ROCK ON 90+ & AJ!

The Sniper:
    Loved LOVED LOOOOOVED reading this!!! Sweet Jesus I hope you two stick with this thread and it goes on forever! :-) As far as review styles go, 90+ & AJ are IMHO the perfect foils for one another - from Brett's "everything you could ever hope to know about a cigar IN DETAIL" style to Amanda's more streamlined, almost jlmarta-like "Its either crap or its not!" style, this was a great read in every sense of the word! I really hope you two had as much fun doing this as I did reading it.

to A quick something to add to the review of the Elegancia - Ive had this stick in a few different sizes, and its one of those where the vitola DOES change the smoking experience from size to size. While Ive never had the Elegancia in the size reviewed here, I would rate the sizes I have had thusly:

Robusto - PHENOMENAL!

Churchill - a SLIGHT cut below the robusto, and its got a little more oomph, and

Pyramide - uhhhh.... what happened here? Very different experience and for me, not in a good way.

... are INCREDIBLY CUTE together!!! :-D Again, hope very much to be reading reviews on page 77 of this thread some day. ROCK ON 90+ & AJ!

I am a very black and white person. Either it's right or wrong or good or crap. But then again circumstance always change the right and wrong perception. But I will admit if I like something or not straight out, just ask Brett ;p
    RCY Cigars:
    Enjoyed reading both reviews. Nice work as always Brett. Never had one of those. I do have a couple that were gifted to me. I like Amanda's attitude about the cigar (bum stick), lol. Can't beat a fresh innocent thought. Looking forward to the next one.
    I'm not joking when i said it was a bum cigar, Brett tried it and said the same thing, but even as a bum cigar it's still worthy enough to smoke and enjoy. Smoke on BOTL!
    The Sniper:

Robusto - PHENOMENAL!

Thank you for the incredibly kind words Glen, we really did have a fantastic time doing this and hearing peoples reactions as well :) I do have to say, our cigars really were night and day different. I had to use the draw poker halfway into the burn on Amanda's because it was plugged and tasted entirely different than mine was. It wasn't terrible, but there was a marked difference and not in the good way unfortunately for her. We will definitely revisit this together a few months down the line to see if it has changed and how! I have to say that I very much enjoyed the size of the Elegancia a lot as well, thin enough that the wrapper really impressed but had enough burn time to develop as well.,... great choice and thanks again Glen!
    RCY Cigars:
    Thanks Rick! If yours have any nap time on them at all or even a little age I think these are really going to shine and be even better, hope to see your take on this one myself soon!
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Brett, Amanda, I have but one word... Awesome! This thread is truly unique and enlightening. I love the contrast between your views and experiences. As was stated before, Brett's "detailed and insightful" review and Amanda's "I like it or it sucks" raw honesty. I look forward to reading many more dual reviews and solo reviews. Good work, guys!
    Toombes:
    Brett, Amanda, I have but one word... Awesome! This thread is truly unique and enlightening. I love the contrast between your views and experiences. As was stated before, Brett's "detailed and insightful" review and Amanda's "I like it or it sucks" raw honesty. I look forward to reading many more dual reviews and solo reviews. Good work, guys!
    Thanks a ton for the words big bro ;) I've been trying to dial back the detailed nature of the reviews but this one got away from me a little lol.... I'll reign it back in a little next time ;)
    Toombes:
    That's the weirdest thing about us, Brett loves knowing everything about his passion, I'm more of it yes I like it (but usually don't go into it very in depth) or I don't (usually means that I drop kick the sucker across a football field and erase it's existence from my memory), maybe that's why we work so well together? Oh well it works right?
    It works GREAT! I personally dont think either of you should change a thing about your review styles. There are a lot of guys who read reviews and want to know all they can about the cigar (kuzi, j0z3r, etc) and there are some of us who want the down-and-dirty of whether its a good stick or not, like me & jlmarta. This thread gives us the best of both worlds in one neat little package! :-)

I really feel like crap that the Elegancia wasnt a good experience for you Amanda. I sent it in the size I did because a little birdie told me you like the smaller sizes. If you ever get the chance, you should definitely give it a shot in the robusto. Id send you some to do just that, but alas - I smoked all mine up. :-(

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Both ya guys did a bang up job. Enjoyed the read
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Excellent thread and idea. Keep it coming
    Thanks brothers for all the mkind words, we will definitely be making this a normal occurance and be doing many many more! Thanks again and look for more revies sooner rather than later :D
    The Sniper:
    It works GREAT! I personally dont think either of you should change a thing about your review styles. There are a lot of guys who read reviews and want to know all they can about the cigar (kuzi, j0z3r, etc) and there are some of us who want the down-and-dirty of whether its a good stick or not, like me & jlmarta. This thread gives us the best of both worlds in one neat little package! :-)

I really feel like crap that the Elegancia wasnt a good experience for you Amanda. I sent it in the size I did because a little birdie told me you like the smaller sizes. If you ever get the chance, you should definitely give it a shot in the robusto. Id send you some to do just that, but alas - I smoked all mine up. :-(

No no no! That is not what I meant to mean at all! I think I should get a job a cigar factory sniffing out all the bum one's because even if one of 150 cigars is a bum I will find it. Lol
    Hey GOOD FRIEND you are not very nice! Please do not call me that at all you are very rude whether you meant it or not! Please refrain from using such language on this thread it is very disrespectful *Grrr* (I will freeze a pinapple and throw it at you and you can ask a friend of mine he nearly got castrated after he dislocated my hip with a kick and I threw one at his precious man berries) That is all I am saying on the topic. *Hmph*
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    IrishAJ:
    Hey GOOD FRIEND you are not very nice! Please do not call me that at all you are very rude whether you meant it or not! Please refrain from using such language on this thread it is very disrespectful *Grrr* (I will freeze a pinapple and throw it at you and you can ask a friend of mine he nearly got castrated after he dislocated my hip with a kick and I threw one at his precious man berries) That is all I am saying on the topic. *Hmph*
    You ruined pineapple for me
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    IrishAJ:
    RCY Cigars:
    I'm not joking when i said it was a bum cigar, Brett tried it and said the same thing, but even as a bum cigar it's still worthy enough to smoke and enjoy. Smoke on BOTL!
    I had a similar experience with this smoke in the Robusto as well. Pitched it at the halfway point. Guess it just wasn't for me.
    Direwolf:
    IrishAJ:
    You ruined pineapple for me
    I'm sorry I really have a habit of losing my composure around that word....I'm so embarrassed about that, I try so hard not be that person ever again... I'm very truly sorry.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey you two, get a room
    Nice work]
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

IrishAJ:
    Darlin, you're gonna have to give my good GOOD FRIEND some slack on this one I think please... in this case its not only entirely warranted (see my recent posts in the Things I Hate thread under Non-Cigar Related), but also probably the NICEST thing anyone can say about the woman at this point. ;-)

After you read that, if you still are offended I will take the quote out. With 7 surgeries between two knees, I just dont dodge frozen pineapples like I used to. :-)

The Sniper:
    IrishAJ:
    Darlin, you're gonna have to give my good GOOD FRIEND some slack on this one I think please... in this case its not only entirely warranted (see my recent posts in the Things I Hate thread under Non-Cigar Related), but also probably the NICEST thing anyone can say about the woman at this point. ;-)

After you read that, if you still are offended I will take the quote out. With 7 surgeries between two knees, I just dont dodge frozen pineapples like I used to. :-)

Page 159 of Things I Hate to be exact.

• bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Thanks for pointing that out because I've read this thread about 10 times trying to figure out what she was talking about lol. I guess I should read the signatures. I think the use of that word is justified in your case.
    The Sniper:
    IrishAJ:

Glen thanks for being so considerate and thoughtful, Amanda has Pm'd you with an explanation but suffice to say that it really was all a misunderstanding. Thank you all though, and it's all good and no worries :D
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    The Sniper:
    IrishAJ:

Glen thanks for being so considerate and thoughtful, Amanda has Pm'd you with an explanation but suffice to say that it really was all a misunderstanding. Thank you all though, and it's all good and no worries :D

All good? All good, you say?!?
    I call BS!! There's frozen pineapple involved, for Chrisakes!